Interesting news from the Netherlands

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Interesting news from the Netherlands

Post by Fiona »

From the website of Radio Netherlands Worldwide:

"Royal Library buys unique 15th-century book
Published: Tuesday 17 March 2009 13:02 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday 17 March 2009 14:08 UTC
The Royal Library in The Hague has purchased a unique copy of a non-religious 15th-century book in Dutch. The book was bought at auction. Printed in 1491, it is an incunabulum called The history of the great king Alexander (Die hystorie vanden grooten coninck Alexander).

The book, which is about Alexander the Great, is on record as the first non-religious printed work in the Netherlands. It is exceptional that it was published in the Dutch language; most books at the time were in Latin.

The library says that no other copy of this edition is known anywhere in the world. Three other editions of the book were printed in the 15th century. Just one copy of each survives, in Berlin, Washington and San Marino respectively.

The whereabouts of the single remaining copy of the fourth edition were unknown until 1976, when the volume was bought by a Belgian at an auction. On Saturday, it was again put up for sale. Its purchase cost the Royal Library 100,000 euros.

From next week, the entire contents of the book will be on display on the Royal Library website."
Theseus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Interesting news from the Netherlands

Post by Theseus »

How interesting! I'm glad the book is in the right hands and will be protected.
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem