Help needed for a graphic novel project

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Phoebus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Help needed for a graphic novel project

Post by Phoebus »

Dear Pothosians,

In approximately a year and a half (or so), I will be leaving the United States military for a few years to (hopefully) attend the School of Visual Arts of Manhattan, NY. Needless to say, I'm very excited at this prospect. I love ancient history and Greek history in particular, but I've never found the patience to study history in an advanced institution. What I always have dreamed of doing, though, is marrying what humble talent I have as an artist with my amateur-hour attempts at learning about our era of interest here.

I envision basing much of my portfolio for SVA on a concept for a graphic novel (my specific major of choice would be sequential arts/cartooning) centered in the last two decades of the 4th century BCE. The protagonist for my story will be one of the Argyraspids exiled to the east, to die under Sibyrtius; the story itself will revolve around the "missions impossible" he is assigned in order to have him (and his fellows) killed off.

I don't have illusions about my comic/graphic novel being able to perfectly mimick the realities of the Hellenistic states of 315 BCE. I do want to do my best, though. In that spirit I ask your help in putting together a good list of books and articles that you might think will be of help in my project.

I'm looking for:
1. Books that give a good, accurate impression of how people of the era dressed and looked. The story will mostly be set in and about the satrapies that encompassed Arachosia, Bactria, Gedrosia, Sogdiana, and northwestern India--though it might eventually stretch westwards--so the peoples that lived there are the ones I most need to know about. Scythians, though nominally not subjects, would likely serve as foils and foes, so we may as well throw them in there. And, since much of the story will center on the ruling class, I would include Greek-speaking peoples as well (emphasis obviously on Macedonians!).

2. Along the same lines, I'm interested in books that might give me a good idea of the architecture of those peoples, and the types of artwork they used to decorate their homes and cities. It's their palaces and citadels I'm specifically interested in... especially if there are any references to what hybrid Greek-Asian buildings might have looked like.

3. Finally, I'm looking for books that cover the military practices of the people I listed above... with a special emphasis on non-Greek speakers.

I know I'm asking for a lot here. I'm going to be combing through book lists and online bookstores rather furiously, but I feel my endeavor would be far easier if I could have those more learned point me to books and works they know to be accurate and informative. I know the cost of many of the books I'm asking for will be somewhat prohibitive, but please don't let that factor prevent you from suggesting one.

I thank you and appreciate your help in advance!
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Help needed for a graphic novel project

Post by Paralus »

You're going to stop traipsing about the world? Sinking roots - no matter how shallow or temporary - in NYC??

I'm jealous.

Are you subscribed to Ancient Warfare? There was an issue - last year I think - on "warfare in the ancient Near East". I'm unsure whether it deals with Bactrians and others in the "upper satrapies" but the arwork is generally preety good - especially Johhny Schumate's. On which, he may well have some representations on his site. I notice he has a "heavy" Scythian cavalryman he's just added. Troll through his pages and see what else he has.

Nick Sekunda has penned a couple of books on Seleucid and Ptolemaic armies that might just include some of what you are after.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Phoebus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Phoebus »

Indeed I am. In fact, the latest issue showed up in my mailbox just a few days ago, with a certain article on the Battle of Gabiene and those damned, ancient Argyraspides. :)

Unfortunately, the plastic wrapping had been torn, and the entire issue was soaking wet, pages stuck and torn, and all. :(
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Phoebus wrote: Unfortunately, the plastic wrapping had been torn, and the entire issue was soaking wet, pages stuck and torn, and all. :(
That plastic wrapping is a real problem but unfortunately the publishers didn't want to know about it. I took out a subscription and three of the six issues never reached me, yet a brown-enveloped back issue I ordered was delivered without delay. It's my theory that the copies were stolen en route by someone who found the (very visible) contents desirable. AW really should listen more to their subscribers! :(

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Phoebus,

First of all - good luck!
Phoebus wrote: 1. Books that give a good, accurate impression of how people of the era dressed and looked. The story will mostly be set in and about the satrapies that encompassed Arachosia, Bactria, Gedrosia, Sogdiana, and northwestern India ...

2. Along the same lines, I'm interested in books that might give me a good idea of the architecture of those peoples, and the types of artwork they used to decorate their homes and cities. It's their palaces and citadels I'm specifically interested in... especially if there are any references to what hybrid Greek-Asian buildings might have looked like.

3. Finally, I'm looking for books that cover the military practices of the people I listed above... with a special emphasis on non-Greek speakers.
(I've abridged your message to avoid reproducing it all.)

Paralus has already mentioned Nick Secunda. You need to get the relevant titles in the Osprey Men-at-Arms series for the Macedonians, and I believe there's one on the Scythians, as well.

For non-military clothing, get hold of images of the satrapal tribute delegations that are carved on the Apadana staircase at Persepolis. That will show you clothing for all the satrapies, as it was from the time of Darius I and Xerxes. Not much info on colour ... but, again, looking at the Secunda books will help.

Not so sure I can help with architecture, but I would imagine that your bog-standard, non-noble buildings looked similar to what they look like nowadays in Afghanistan - simple mud-brick dwellings. There are books on Parthian architecture (much of it speculation, but there was a fair amount at Nisa and Nishapur), which can't have been much different from the 4th century; and, of course, the Hellenistic buildings in Bactria (e.g. at Ai Khanum) were ... well ... Greek.

Sorry this is a brief, truncated reply; but hopefully of some help.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

amyntoros wrote:
Phoebus wrote: Unfortunately, the plastic wrapping had been torn, and the entire issue was soaking wet, pages stuck and torn, and all. :(
That plastic wrapping is a real problem but unfortunately the publishers didn't want to know about it.
Didn't take any notice of how the last one came but I'm sure it was in plastic in an envelope. Then again, I may be confusing it with the back-order issues I had delivered a while back.

Phoebus, the areas you're going to be interested in are Arachiosia, Parapamisadae, Bactria and India. I'd think that Sibyrtius' main concern will have been the "Indian" regions which were either already slipping from Macedonian control or had done. The fighting along that border will be where the largest (some 1,000) group - and the most "violent" - found themselves fighting one thinks.

The usual notion is that the armies fielded by the upper satrapies will have been cavalry based. The evidence that we have for Eumenes' just defeated army would suggest otherwise: more "light" infantry based. Eumenes, fielding a "satrapal" coalition (of these same "upper satrapies") army, was outnumbered in cavalry but possessed "many thousands" of light infantry. Also, the composition of that army - clearly described by Diodorus in Persis (19.22.2-3 below) - does not number a surfeit of Macedonians amongst it:
With the company of those participating he filled four circles, one within the other, with the largest circle inclosing the others. The circuit of the outer ring was of ten stades and was filled with the mercenaries and the mass of the allies; the circuit of the second was of eight stades, and in it were the Macedonian Silver Shields and those of the Companions who had fought under Alexander; the circuit of the next was of four stades and its area was filled with reclining men — the commanders of lower rank, the friends and generals who were unassigned, and the cavalry; lastly in the inner circle with a perimeter of two stades each of the generals and hipparchs and also each of the Persians who was most highly honoured occupied his own couch. In the middle of these there were altars for the gods and for Alexander and Philip.
This description neatly skewers Hammond's theory that Eumenes' hypaspists were the "sons of the Silver Shields" - there is no place for them. It also clearly shows up the dearth of Macedonians in service in the "upper" satrapal forces. Most are, presumably, cavalry in the satrap's retinue though hetairoi seems to be applied to foot companions here if they are separate from the "cavalry". Even so, the bulk are the Silver Shields ("more than 3,000 strong") Sybirtius then will have been rather pleased, in an anxious way, for the addition of 1,000 highly trained souvlaki stickers. These troops will have had an immediate "stiffening" impact for Sybirtius' forces you'd think. Either way, Antigonus did not want such a unit to remain corporate nor, one thinks, to have to face such in the field again.

Interestingly Bosworth (Legacy of Alexander) makes a strong case for the troops that Seleucus picks up on the way to Babylon (312/11) at Carhhae being a detachment of Silver Shields. Makes sense to me: who better to take Babylon by Poliorcetes?

About the magazine, you should let them know what’s transpired.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Praefectusclassis

Post by Praefectusclassis »

Please excuse me intruding in this thread, but I feel that the remarks made about Ancient Warfare require a proper response. You see, we pride ourselves in listening to our customers, even though it is not always possible to respond to their suggestions immediately and in the way they want.

First of all: we have always replaced missing or damaged copies without question if and when customers notified us and will continue to do so.
Second: even though bulk distribution of magazines is considerably cheaper than sending them individually, the yearly cost of distribution takes up roughly half the subscription fee. I'm sure you'll understand we are loathe to let it rise more, as we are a small, start-up publisher who prefers to spend the takings on the product.
Third: as we are new, there was/is much to learn, but we have only one bi-monthly magazine: in other words, changes made to the distribution method can only be tested every two months.
Non-arrival of issues was broader than just NYC, it affected the USA most of all. It was also clearly not a case of individual theft, but the exact cause was hard to determine. We went through various tests with other address labels, insertion of blank sheets (front and back) to make the contents invisible, changed packaging companies and finally changed shipping companies and method. We made these changes step by step to be sure we only changed what was necessary and kept any increase in cost to a minimum as that would have to be passed on to subscribers.
At the end of last year, having made all those changes, we surveyed our subscribers two issues back to back and determined that non-arrival had dropped to below 1%.

I hope it is now clear that we have listened to our customers and have improved our service as much as possible.

Again, apologies for the interruption.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Praefectusclassis wrote:Please excuse me intruding in this thread, but I feel that the remarks made about Ancient Warfare require a proper response. You see, we pride ourselves in listening to our customers, even though it is not always possible to respond to their suggestions immediately and in the way they want.

First of all: we have always replaced missing or damaged copies without question if and when customers notified us and will continue to do so.
Second: even though bulk distribution of magazines is considerably cheaper than sending them individually, the yearly cost of distribution takes up roughly half the subscription fee. I'm sure you'll understand we are loathe to let it rise more, as we are a small, start-up publisher who prefers to spend the takings on the product.
Third: as we are new, there was/is much to learn, but we have only one bi-monthly magazine: in other words, changes made to the distribution method can only be tested every two months.
Non-arrival of issues was broader than just NYC, it affected the USA most of all. It was also clearly not a case of individual theft, but the exact cause was hard to determine. We went through various tests with other address labels, insertion of blank sheets (front and back) to make the contents invisible, changed packaging companies and finally changed shipping companies and method. We made these changes step by step to be sure we only changed what was necessary and kept any increase in cost to a minimum as that would have to be passed on to subscribers.
At the end of last year, having made all those changes, we surveyed our subscribers two issues back to back and determined that non-arrival had dropped to below 1%.

I hope it is now clear that we have listened to our customers and have improved our service as much as possible.

Again, apologies for the interruption.
No need to apologize at all, Praefectusclassis. Ancient Warfare was mentioned in this thread so you're not intruding at all. I'm pleased to see that changes have been made so I will try a subscription again. And yes, I know that AW willingly replaced missing copies, but by the time the third one went missing - and I didn't realize it until about a month later - I couldn't help but feel, umm, awkward about requesting another replacement copy. I wasn't aware that this was happening to any great extent with others so my constant reporting of losses made me uncomfortable.

I must say that I wish AW had let me know directly of the changes you've noted above, but then again, I didn't renew my subscription so I probably shouldn't have expected this of them. :)

Just want to add for all other Pothosians reading this: I think that Ancient Warfare is a wonderful publication (which made me doubly sad when I didn't receive the issues). Even though articles pertaining to Alexander or the Successors are not to be found in every issue, I'm sure that many of our members would find it enjoyable nevertheless. So for those who'd like to know more, here's the link:

http://www.ancient-warfare.com/cms/

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor