Has anyone read this new novel yet?

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Has anyone read this new novel yet?

Post by Semiramis »

I have finally got around to reading this! Only just finished part one. It's not highbrow literature by any stretch of the imagination but engaging in a rip-roaring tale sort of way. :) You do feel submerged in the times, which I feel is important for the historical fiction genre. A lot of aspects of the society such as religion, politics, slavery, patriarchy etc. are subtly brought to the fore in a non-chalant manner. So far, I am finding the lack of self-indulgent moralizing and philosophizing on these issues kind of refreshing. Perhaps the author is saving his sweeping conclusions for later. :)

If you're into historical fiction or Alexander-related books, I wouldn't be put off from reading this by Suzanne's review. It's quite refreshing to have a novel that sometimes operates from the piont of view of the conquered people, who are generally nameless and barely mentioned in both historical fact and fiction. For the Macedonians, Hephaistion in particular is portrayed as an able commander. The Alexander character is somewhat cocky and bossy but in a charming way (imagine that! ;) ). I'm not sure what it is about Saleh's Lebanese nationality that might lead one to expect that he would portray the Macedonians as monsters. The idea is just a non-sequitur to me, and as Suzanne mentions, it's not the case.

To me, the language of the novel didn't come across as that of a "non-native English speaker". In my experience its common enough for people from Lebanon to be fluent in English or French or both. According to the sleeve notes, this is Saleh's fourth historical fiction in English and he has lived in London for over 30 years, so one should not have to lower their expectations of the writing based on the author's nationality alone.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Has anyone read this new novel yet?

Post by marcus »

Semiramis wrote:I have finally got around to reading this! Only just finished part one. It's not highbrow literature by any stretch of the imagination but engaging in a rip-roaring tale sort of way. :) You do feel submerged in the times, which I feel is important for the historical fiction genre. A lot of aspects of the society such as religion, politics, slavery, patriarchy etc. are subtly brought to the fore in a non-chalant manner. So far, I am finding the lack of self-indulgent moralizing and philosophizing on these issues kind of refreshing. Perhaps the author is saving his sweeping conclusions for later. :)

If you're into historical fiction or Alexander-related books, I wouldn't be put off from reading this by Suzanne's review. It's quite refreshing to have a novel that sometimes operates from the piont of view of the conquered people, who are generally nameless and barely mentioned in both historical fact and fiction. For the Macedonians, Hephaistion in particular is portrayed as an able commander. The Alexander character is somewhat cocky and bossy but in a charming way (imagine that! ;) ). I'm not sure what it is about Saleh's Lebanese nationality that might lead one to expect that he would portray the Macedonians as monsters. The idea is just a non-sequitur to me, and as Suzanne mentions, it's not the case.

To me, the language of the novel didn't come across as that of a "non-native English speaker". In my experience its common enough for people from Lebanon to be fluent in English or French or both. According to the sleeve notes, this is Saleh's fourth historical fiction in English and he has lived in London for over 30 years, so one should not have to lower their expectations of the writing based on the author's nationality alone.
Well, I did get a copy, way back when this thread was going strong ... but I still haven't read it, as so many other books forced their way to the top of the pile. So it's waiting, still, and hopefully in a few weeks I'll get round to it. (Too many other things to occupy the mind at the moment, such as having moved home, started a new job - with a ridiculous timetable for student assessment that is going to prove a bit of a nightmare when it comes to having time to myself to read, etc.)

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK