Looking for a reading partner

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Looking for a reading partner

Post by Fiona »

Is there anyone else out there who feels like me, wanting more in-depth discussion than we get on the fan sites, but only able to stand back with dropped jaw when Taphoi, Paralus et al are in full flight? (Clash of the Titans...)
What I'd like to do is tackle some of the harder books about Alexander, and discuss them with someone else who's also reading them for the first time. My idea was that we might agree to read, say, a chapter a week and then talk about it. If this could be you, please let me know!
I was thinking of starting with Bosworth's 'Conquest and Empire', but if there's something else you'd like, that would be fine.
I am sure it would be OK to do this on the Pothos forum, but if you are shy, we could always do it by email.
Hoping to hear from someone - maybe even more than one person!
Fiona
Chiliarch

Re: Looking for a reading partner

Post by Chiliarch »

Hi Fiona,

Here is one person coming up. I, too, would like to discuss Alexander and his times and achievements with someone else. Though I don't know why you shy from the august company here on Pothos, you are so knowledgeable yourself and so well read.

I, myself, have felt a bit reluctant to enter the discussions here, as I do not know as much about Alexandrian history, politics, strategy and tactics as the members of this forum and thus have not felt in a position to argue matters in detail. As you may know, my principal knowledge lies in Alexander fiction - not fact. This doesn't mean that I have not read the four primary sources on Alexander or the newest scholarly books about him, it's more that I don't feel qualified to bring my own views and interpretations into the field. So a reading of current scholarly thoughts and views, on a not so elevated level, will suit me just fine.

Susanne
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Hi Chiliarch,
this is great! I am very happy that you would like to do this, too. You are very kind - I must admit, I don't feel very knowledgeable, compared to the august company, but I am always keen to learn more, and so we can learn more together. That will be fun! So, where shall we start? D'you fancy reading 'Conquest and Empire', or something else?
Fiona
val

Post by val »

Hi Fiona! So you want to make something like a book club about Alexander? Well, sounds great to me so please count me in. I read “Conquest and Empire” a long while ago so it would be good to give it a second reading. Actually, I have a big pile of Alexander related books waiting on a corner to be read but college and work takes a a lot of time so I always leave them for another time, which obviously never comes, so this would be a good incentive to return to my reading.

Chiliarch, I am also the kind that makes more reading than posting because I rarely find something to add to a discussion. I read history books and so know little about Alexander in literature, I’ve been barely interested in it (barely interested in historical fiction to be more specific) but, giving it a second thought, there are many interesting things that come up from there too!

Val
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Greetings,

What a wonderful idea, Fiona!
I hope you decide to keep your reading group discussions here on Pothos; I think everyone would enjoy both the discussion and reading the different perspectives on the books.

Several factors prevent me from writing much, but I visit Pothos several times a week. I look forward to your book group threads.

Regards,
Sikander
Chiliarch

Post by Chiliarch »

Oh dear, here I was, hoping to keep my feeble attempts at deduction to a limited number of readers. Sigh!

Well, if it has to be, so be it.

Bosworth will be fine by me, I've got the book. And thanks to Val for supporting me in my inadequacy.

Susanne

Gods! Why do i agree to this? Whom the Gods would destroy...............
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Hi val, I'm really glad you'd like to join in. Yes, a book club, that's the thing. We can call the thread Book Club, that's a good idea. That's a good point about making time. I think it will help all of us to devote some time to reading, because the incentive will be there. We can encourage each other, and then have the fun of discussing what we've read.
If you've already read 'Conquest and Empire', I'm guessing you own a copy, and Chiliarch says she has one, so we can get cracking right away. I see the Prologue is 19 pages long, so that will make a good start for us. It covers The Legacy of Philip and The Young Alexander, so I am sure there will be plenty to talk about there.
Right, we'll give ourselves a week to do the reading, then round about this time next week, post your thoughts, impressions, questions, confusions, illuminations, discoveries or whatever!

Hi sikander,
thank you very much for your encouraging post, it is nice to know you think it's a good idea and would enjoy reading the posts. Feel free to join in when you can!

Hi Chiliarch,
what do you mean, 'feeble'? No such thing - we are learning together, we mustn't be shy of saying, 'what on earth does this mean?' or 'where is this place he is on about?' or suchlike, and anyway, I bet you'll have loads of good thoughts.
You have a week to read the prologue! On your marks - get set - go!
Fiona
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Would you mind awfully if I joined too? I've been so busy the past few months that the only time I've found to read has been at the laundromat! It's been years since I last read Conquest and Empire and I'd love to take another look at it. I can certainly manage a chapter once a week while the clothes tumble in the dryer. :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Chiliarch

Post by Chiliarch »

Of course you can join, Amyntoros (with a name like that, who could resist you), but I have to warn you, you are of the august company :wink: , so please don't steam-roll all over us.
rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by rocktupac »

I would love to follow along as well! But I'm not sure I will always be able to report back each week, so I'm afraid I will be more of a "silent" follower... I just hope I am allowed to chime in once in a while and put my two cents in :D
-Scott B.
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Hi amyntoros and rocktupac,
yes, of course, please join in. The more the merrier!
Fiona
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:I've been so busy the past few months that the only time I've found to read has been at the laundromat!
Lucky you! I can't remember when I last had time to sit down and read properly, apart from knocking through a couple of trashy novels.

Fiona - "Conquest" is an excellent one to start with in your book club. I remember that it had recently come out while I was an undergraduate, so it was the required reading while I was studying Alexander and writing my dissertation. It serves well because it isn't such a long tome, but is packed to the rafters with superb analysis and insight (even if one doesn't entirely agree with Bosworth in everything he says). The fact that he covers the history in the first part, and then goes on to the "problems" essays means that you can make sure you re-familiarise yourselves with the history before tackling the essays.

Good luck. I hope you won't mind if I pop in and out, as I could do with some refreshment myself - I've been so busy that I've not had much chance recently to exercise my "Alexander mind".

Cheers
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Fiona wrote:Is there anyone else out there who feels like me, wanting more in-depth discussion than we get on the fan sites, but only able stand back with dropped jaw when Taphoi, Paralus et al are in full flight? […] I don't feel very knowledgeable, compared to the august company,
Can’t speak for Taphoi but I’m an April baby…
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Hi marcus,
thanks for this tip about the structure of the book, which I hadn't yet noticed. It's great to know that you think it's a good choice!
Thank you for your encouragement, and of course you must pop in whenever you like.
Fiona
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

:lol: :lol: That's a good one, Paralus!
Paralus wrote:
Can’t speak for Taphoi but I’m an April baby…