Books I got for Christmas

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Books I got for Christmas

Post by Fiona »

Hi all, I hope you are having good holidays. I am so excited because I was given six books for Christmas and they are very Alexandrian and they look great.
Just listen to this:
Alexander the Great by Pierre Briant
The Lion of Macedonia by John Mcleod <waves to derek!>
The Lost Tomb of Alexander the Great by Andrew Chugg <waves to taphoi!>
Travelling Heroes by Robin Lane Fox
Responses to Oliver Stone's Alexander by Paul Cartledge and Fiona Rose Greenland
Ancient Greece by Paul Cartledge

I am feeling very lucky, and these will keep me busy for a long time.
Fiona
Chiliarch

Re: Books I got for Christmas

Post by Chiliarch »

Oh good for you, Fiona. I don't know how you are going to get them read with all the posting you do, but I am sure you are going to enjoy them (especially the ones by our friends here).

I'm so busy reading, that I don't have time for posting much, and when I post or write to friends, my posts and emails get more Laconic by the hour. I'll end up a proper Spartan :D
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Would you mind posting a review of 'Responses' when you've read it please? I didn't know if it would be worth getting.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Alexias wrote:Would you mind posting a review of 'Responses' when you've read it please? I didn't know if it would be worth getting.

Hmm, yes, I'd love to know a bit more about it myself although I'll definitely be purchasing it eventually. I believe this is the book that's been several years in the making and that both the editors and publishers have changed along the way.

Best Regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Alexias wrote:Would you mind posting a review of 'Responses' when you've read it please? I didn't know if it would be worth getting.
Certainly will - or of course anyone else can, who happens to finish it first! - I know others have just received this or are expecting it, too. It does look good.
Fiona
derek
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by derek »

Fiona,

Mine is the only novel on your list so I expect it’ll be a while before you get to it, but I hope you enjoy it when you do.

I had some surprise presents at Christmas - two Alexander board games! One’s called “Field Commander: Alexander” and the other is “Alexander the Great”. I’ve not had the chance to play either yet, but they look pretty good. They both have campaign maps, and one even has squares to progress through while building the mole at Tyre! I’ve always enjoyed wargaming and suchlike and knowing me, somewhere along the line they’ll be merged into one giant game with Airfix figures and rules understood only by me…

Happy new year everyone!

Derek
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Thank you, derek - I'll send feedback!
Your games sound great, what lovely presents. Are you on Facebook, and can you share pics like Marcus did?
Fiona
derek
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by derek »

Fiona,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I’m in the middle of moving house and even Alexander the Great has to take a back seat! No, I’m not on Facebook or any of the various sites, though I suppose I should be. I’m a bit of a dinosaur as far as that goes; I thought twittering was a town in West Sussex…

Yes, please do let me know what you think of the book. Whether good or bad, criticism is always useful.

Derek