Good history book on Philip

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Sandra
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Good history book on Philip

Post by Sandra »

I've received some money to spent on books. Currently I have decided to buy a book about Philip II, but looking throgh amazon, saw that there are a lot of books about him. So I wanted to ask for some advice- I'm not a beginner in this field, so it rules out all study books. I need some deeper analysis and more historic context. Can anyone suggest me a good and reliable book?
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Good history book on Philip

Post by Alexias »

Philip of Macedon by Nicholas Hammond. Although scholarly, I found it engaging and easy to read although I think a reader might need to know something about the background to start with, so if you are looking for an introduction it might not be the best book.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Sandra wrote:I've received some money to spent on books. Currently I have decided to buy a book about Philip II, but looking throgh amazon, saw that there are a lot of books about him. So I wanted to ask for some advice- I'm not a beginner in this field, so it rules out all study books. I need some deeper analysis and more historic context. Can anyone suggest me a good and reliable book?
Ian Worthington's recent biography of Philip is pretty good. I dislike his rather non-academic diatribes against Alexander (although I have no problem with his antagonism towards Al if that's the approach he chooses); but his work on Philip was, I thought, very good and held academic weight.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Thanks! I'm looking not for the beginners book, as I 've stated :) But after reading suggestions and amazon reviews, I think i will go for Worthington :) Thank you!
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

You might try 'Philip II and Macedonian Imperialism' by Ellis, it is older but I found it fine and scholarly with full and informative notes. :)
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

agesilaos wrote:You might try 'Philip II and Macedonian Imperialism' by Ellis, it is older but I found it fine and scholarly with full and informative notes. :)
Another good suggestion - Ellis' book got me through my undergraduate study on Philip!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
rocktupac

Post by rocktupac »

agesilaos wrote:You might try 'Philip II and Macedonian Imperialism' by Ellis, it is older but I found it fine and scholarly with full and informative notes. :)
Ellis' book is quite nice. Although it can bog the reader down from time to time. I would still highly recommend it, though. I am awaiting Worthington's 'Philip' book from Amazon at the moment.
-Scott B.