A Weekly Conversation on Alexander

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

A Weekly Conversation on Alexander

Post by athenas owl »

http://blogs.forbes.com/booked/2010/12/ ... -part-one/

http://blogs.forbes.com/booked/2010/12/ ... -part-two/

Found this via Rogueclassicism, a multi part conversation between Paul Cartledge and James Romm. In "Forbes Magazine", online, of all places. Don't know how long it will run, but there it is. :D

The Reading Odyssey sounds interesting as well.

Happy Holidays everyone.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: A Weekly Conversation on Alexander

Post by amyntoros »

A few days ago I tried to get permission to repost these talks, or at least some kind of confirmation that they would remain online on the Forbes site and not be removed after a short amount of time. Didn't get any answer though. Maybe if I were a banker or a wealthy investor? :wink:

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Greetings,

And thank you for posting this site. While I find the discussion interesting and will continue to follow it, it is fascinating how even these two historians, skilled as they are, fall into the trap of failing to see their own possible biases have crept into their process of analyzing Alexander and the events of his time. The character of the man and events of his time can only be assessed based on the times he lived in, and what was expected of a man at his class level, without bringing our modern perceptions into these actions and events. It may well be that, in some of the events/actions raised, for the situation, times and people, Alexander behaved as *must* have been anticipated and expected, or appropriate to the situation. That, too, should be a part of the conversation. The same holds true of Tyre and other events. This is not excusing Alexander, but looking at motive, character, the times and the situation with an eye towards creating as clear a picture of the events and man as possible. Of course, in the end, it will all be speculation, since we are missing so many of the details!

Thank you, Athena's owl, for posting the link.

Amyntoros, I note the discussion cited Pothos as a source.. perhaps you could use that angle to get permission to post parts of the discussion here?

Regards,
Sikander
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Part three:

http://blogs.forbes.com/booked/2010/12/ ... at-part-3/

Once the holidays are over (for me that means possibly through the 7th of January...Russian Orthodox (Kodiak style) in the family mix and I am the main cook and bottle washer,decorator etc.) I'll come back with more comment. To Sikander, they do touch on Tyre in this section. I tend to agree with you, btw.

This is promising, though, from the bottom of the article:
(The Alexander Series will now take a hiatus for the winter holidays. Happy New Year to all!)
Hope everyone's Christmas or other celebration was joyous and peaceful.

AO
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Well, these conversations were quite interesting to me. I tweeted and facedbooked each part.