Kathleen Toohey

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Alexias
Strategos (general)

Kathleen Toohey

Post by Alexias »

Kathleen is writing a thesis on 'The Battle Tactics of Alexander the Great' which is being posted chapter by chapter on academia.edu https://uq.academia.edu/KathleenToohey/Thesis-Chapters and on researchgate.net here https://www.researchgate.net/project/Th ... -the-Great.

On academia.edu there are discussions on the various chapters which you might find interesting. I would particularly recommend chapters 13 and 14 on Alexander's Swat Highlands campaign which gives some interesting information of the forces Alexander took with him and the sieges undertaken. You need to create an account to comment, and I think Kathy would welcome any discussions on her work.
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Kathleen Toohey

Post by sean_m »

Yes, if you are tired of the attacks on strawmen and 'pretty pictures' on social media, the academia.edu chats on her thesis are great places to geek out!
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Kathleen Toohey

Post by Paralus »

sean_m wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:27 pm Yes, if you are tired of the attacks on strawmen and 'pretty pictures' on social media, the academia.edu chats on her thesis are great places to geek out!
Yes, a very good discussion. Just got through the vexed question of hipparchies. Now for Hydaspes. That will be interesting.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu