Alexander the God by Maurice Druon

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Alexias
Strategos (general)

Alexander the God by Maurice Druon

Post by Alexias »

Published in 1960 and translated from the French by Humphrey Hare.

It is narrated by Aristander the seer so there is a lot of astrological stuff in the first part of the book, mostly concerned with Ammon's reincarnation in Alexander. Thereafter it becomes more of a chronical and drags a bit. Some of the historical data may well be out of date too - Philip executing his mother Eurydike, and Alexander executing a satrap by his own hand in the satrap purge.

It is unlikely to appeal to modern audiences, but I wonder if Renault read it as the divinely inspired young Alexander does have hints of Fire from Heaven (but not much).
mavra22

Re: Alexander the God by Maurice Druon

Post by mavra22 »

Hello, I just joined the Forum after years of browsing through it without an account :P I am very much interested in this book, especially the 'astrological parts' you mentioned above - but cannot buy it at the moment. Would it be possible to send me only the first parts of it, wherein the "Alexander as Ammon's incarnation" stuff is narrated? I'd be very thankful for that (it is just for personal use, not for an assignment/presentation etc). My best regards to everyone over here :D
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Hi, it might take me a while to sort this out as I would have to scan the relevant pages. I will give it a try though (though not today).
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

PS Welcome!
mavra22

Post by mavra22 »

Alexias wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:26 pm Hi, it might take me a while to sort this out as I would have to scan the relevant pages. I will give it a try though (though not today).
Thank you so much!! :)
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Hi, I have just sent you the extract from the book. Please let me know if it doesn't reach you.

If anyone else wants it as well, please let me know.