INFORMATION ON GLAUKIS

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

ruthaki
Strategos (general)

INFORMATION ON GLAUKIS

Post by ruthaki »

I need some information on Glaukis, the officer that Kassandros put in charge of Roxana and Alexander IV when they were held at Amphipolis. Is there any background material available on him? I believe he was responsible for killing R & young A while they were held there. Thanks in advance.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: INFORMATION ON GLAUKIS

Post by Paralus »

At the battle of Guagamela Arrian (3.11.8) has a Glaukias as an ilarch (troop commander) of the Companion Cavalry:
The right wing was held by the cavalry Companions, in front of whom had been posted the royal squadron, commanded by Clitus, son of Dropidas. Near this was the squadron of Glaucias, next to it that of Aristo, then that of Sopolis, son of Hermodorus, then that of Heraclides, son of Antiochus.
Next we have Kassander’s “henchman”:
Diodorus 19.52.4:
Cassander had determined to do away with Alexander's son and the son's mother, Roxanê, so that there might be no successor to the kingdom; but for the present, since he wished to observe what the common people would say about the slaying of Olympias and since he had no news of Antigonus' success, he placed Roxanê and the child in custody, transferring them to the citadel of Amphipolis, in command of which he placed Glaucias, one of his most trusted henchmen.
19.105.2-3:
Now Cassander perceived that Alexander, the son of Roxanê, was growing up and that word was being spread throughout Macedonia by certain men that it was fitting to release the boy from custody and give him his father's kingdom; and, fearing for himself, he instructed Glaucias, who was in command of the guard over the child…
And that, my dear, is the sum total of the literary evidence for said Glaukias. That the Glaukias of Kassander is the same individual we see as an ilarch of the Companion Cavalry at Guagamela, though quite likely (if he survived), cannot be proved I’d think.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks for this info. I had both the parts about him being posted as guard over Roxana and Alexander VI but hadn't seen anything about the Glaukis in the campaigns and as that wasn't really established as the same character (and since many of the Macedonians had the same names) I will carry on with my interpretation of him which puts him as younger than the campaign Glaukis and a favored one of Kassandros.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Glaukias is a reasonably common name. That plus the fact that he commanded an ile of the Companion Cavalry might speak against him then being quite prepared to murder Alexander's heir. I would agree it's more likely he's one of Kassander's "freinds" with whom he decamped Macedonia after Antiparos' death and Polyperchon's elevation.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks for that Paralus. I have him much younger and ambitious and a favorite of Kassandros who will do anything for him (which will include murder, of course.) I also felt that if he was one of Alexander's commanders he would most likely not be involved in the death of Alexander VI.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

ruthaki wrote:... the death of Alexander VI.
I know that this was just a typing error on your part, Ruth, but can't help it - it was Alexander IV ... :)

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Oops! of course it was the IV. (Let's just call him 'little Alexander')
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

ruthaki wrote:Oops! of course it was the IV. (Let's just call him 'little Alexander')
:D I was being picky, because I knew that it was only a typo on your part. Your integrity is safe, Ruth! :)

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK