Non-fiction book reviews #1

This forum is for updated versions of the site's main pages, and for resources for students of Alexander. Posting is limited.
If you quote any material from anything on pothos.org, please ensure you include a link to the original work and give due credit.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Non-fiction book reviews #1

Post by Alexias »

NON-FICTION BOOK REVIEWS

A Historical Commentary on Arrian's History of Alexander; Volume II, Books IV-V, A.B. Bosworth, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1995 (380 pages).
Reviewer: Nick Welman

I have exactly the same feeling about this book as about Heckel's commentary on Justin and Heckel's "Marshals". I am aged 42 now, became impressed by Alexander when I was 15 - and I have read both the popular biographies (Lane Fox, Hammond, Bosworth) as well the ancient sources and fiction (Couperus, Renault - the Dutch translation of Manfredi's book is on my shelf but I could not force myself to continue beyond page twelve... ). To me a study like Bosworth's "Commentary" is really the only type of book that still satisfies my appetite. If you are new to the subject of Alexander, be sure to skip this one. But do you know (by heart) which two books of Curtius are missing? Do you know whose "life" Plutarch described as a parallel to Alexander's? Can you guess who said: "I venture to claim the first place in Greek literature, since Alexander, about whom I write, held the first place in the profession of arms"? All three questions correct? Then do not hesitate and get hold of a copy of Bosworth's "Commentary". I have swallowed it page by page like it was a novel. But you need to be able to refer to all basic facts of Alexander's history to enjoy it. (And I am still looking for Bosworth's Volume I.)

Alexander the Great in Fact and Fiction, A.B. Bosworth and E. Baynham (reprint due September 2002)
Reviewer: Marcus Pailing

Some of today's leading Alexander scholars have contributed to this collection of essays which, though very academic in some places, are all easy to read and offer some fascinating results of recent research. Not really suitable for readers unfamiliar with the history.

From Arrian to Alexander, A.B. Bosworth, 1992

Bosworth had already published a detailed analysis of Arrian through the Oxford University Press. This book is an excellent assessment of the sources (not just Arrian) using good examples – the set-piece speeches in Arrian, for example – to evaluate the validity of the extant sources and to posit theories on their original material.

Alexander and the East, The Tragedy of Triumph, A.B. Bosworth, 1996 (reprints: 1998; 2001)

An excellent collection of essays, dealing with Alexander's policies and actions in the eastern areas of his empire. Bosworth fully explores the somewhat less savoury aspects of Alexander's rule, with a focus on his suppression of local peoples. There isn't really much to find fault with in Bosworth's Alexander work, but it might cause some dismay to those inclined to hero-worship unless they temper it with the works of Nicholas Hammond or Robin Lane Fox. However, to those who indulge in unconditional hero-worship it probably won't really matter!

Conquest and Empire: The Reign of Alexander the Great, A.B. Bosworth, Cambridge, 1988

Bosworth might well be considered one of the first objective historians of Alexander, although others have followed in his footsteps. He is certainly one of the leading revisionists working in the field today. This book comes in two parts: Part 1 is an overview of Alexander's career; while Part 2 contains some long essays on various aspects of Alexander's life (for example, Alexander's divinity, a brilliant essay). Well worth reading, and pretty much a standard text nowadays.