Those in Greece..

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

sikander
Somatophylax

Those in Greece..

Post by sikander »

Greetings- Sikander here. I am seeking some photos of current Greek horse breeds to go with the article on horses (yes, it is now in the cutting it down to a reasonable size stage- it turned into a huge project ). I have photos of Pindos and Skyros breeds, but am seeking a good photo of Andravidas and others. Can those in Greece suggest
any books that might help that could be purchased? Most of the breed books available in the US only show Pindos and Skyros, with a poor photo of the Peneia.
I have written to some farms and universities in Greece but so far, no luck on photos, just have descriptions..and I am hoping to include photos or sketches (with a wave to someone else on the Forum)of the 7-8 current breeds. As most of you know, some of these breeds are endangered, and I think it would be a good thing to include their photos in the references at the bottom of the article.
Regards,
Sikander
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Those in Greece..

Post by yiannis »

You can find plenty of information at http://www.horse.gr but only if you speak Greek :-)
The Greek horse breeds are:
Andravidas, Messara, Pindos, Pinias and Skyros.
Look also for these breeds at: http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/horses/Horses.htm
and ask for photos from contact@horse.grRegards,
Yiannis
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Wow! What an interesting project. I've looked at horses in Greece but never thought of them as specific breeds. That's amazing. Now I must pay more attention.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I must say, I am greatly looking forward to Sikander's piece on Greek/Macedonian cavalry horses! It sounds as if it's going to be both comprehensive and engaging.Get a move on, Sikander! :-)Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Greetings and thank you, Yiannis. Unfortunately, I am working on an antiquated system so all I get is numerals and gibberish instead of Greek- when I manage to get anything at all
According to Prof. Menagatos (Agricultural U of Athens) there are 8 breeds: Pindos, Skyros, Pineian, Andravidas, Messara, Ainou and Zakynthos. I have written to some breed preservation farms in Greece, but they are focusing on the Pindos and Skyros, which I have photos of. I have a poor photo of the Pineian,and vague descriptions of the other breeds. The Pindos is considered the closest to the Thessalian.. I am willing to purchase breed books; is it possible for you to send me a purchase address (book house?) at my email? Would help greatly.
Again, thank you for the link. I had already contacted the university link and they are having the same difficulty obtaining photos as I am!
Regards,
Sikander
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Greetings Marcus,
"Get a move on"?? If you saw what this has become, you would be graoning. Now it is a matter of making it a reasonable size for Pothos. And of course, getting the photos/sketches of the modern breeds.
"Marcus Varius, where are my breed photos?" sounded the cry, paraphrasing Augustus..
I will post without photos if I have to, but I do feel it is tragic to see breeds disappearing that too many people are unaware even exist! And now, I had best return to trying to reduce this article to a reasonable size.
Regards,
Sikander
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

:-)Good luck! (and get a move on )M
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Hi Sikander,
Haven't you got the photos from the site that I proposed you? There are some pictures that can be easily downloaded already.Regards,
Yiannis
susa

Post by susa »

HiCould you tell what was Bukephalas' breed?Tnxs
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Susa,I think that Bucephelas was a Thessalian horse, but I don't know whether that was a specific breed in itself, or whether he was called "Thessalian" because that's where he was born.Perhaps Sikander can include this in his equine encyclopedia?All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Indeed the only thing we know is that Voukefalas was a "Thessalian" horse and that it was particularly tall and stout. But we don't know its breed.Br,
Yiannis
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Greetings All,
we am working hard to get this ready.. be patient- I have an antiquated system- I have to use someone else's computer to even respond to the Forum. I believe the article will be interesting- it covers a lot of ground and goes over current theories, some well-known, others not. And yes, we will cover Bu/Vou. Just give us time Editing is taking as long as writing did, since we are trying to cut out a lot without losing critical content.
Regards,
Sikander