Xmas present for the past

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Xmas present for the past

Post by agesilaos »

Ok, it’s Xmas season so time for the totally frivolous and a chance for the 402 members to post without fear of someone jumping down their stocking;
Let the forum know what you think would be
1) The an appropriate present for AtG
2) The best AtG related present for you
3) Or/and same for an associate of AtG

I choose
1) ‘Totopoly’, so that he could finally enjoy the sport of kings.
2) The discovery of an Argaead military diagramma (I really want the complete Loeb Hieronymos of Kardia 85 volumes, but that’s diadochic :lol: )
3) A bag of nuts for Bagoas, more stoking filler than present, but he is not a favourite of mine.

Hope that gives a gist. Hopefully that will be 1200 mottos fit to put in AtG themed Xmas crackers :?
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Matthew Amt

Re: Xmas present for the past

Post by Matthew Amt »

Okay, I'm in!

1) A couple nice pair of stockings! Both to keep his feet warm in those Zeus-forsaken wastelands he insists on conquering, and to have something to hang by the fire!

2) A couple dozen sarissophoroi reenactors to play with...

3) Gosh, I don't know his friends all that well--are gift cards all right? ("How many Amazons do I get with this?")

Matthew
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

May as well have some fun...

1) Unconquered Planet: A guidebook to the world as yet unsubdued.

2) The Landmark Hieronymus, (in 85 vols) rather than an industry constructed from 14 testimonia and 18 "fragments".

3) Fawning, Flattery and Obsequious Flatulence, Machiavelli's lost book on surviving overly successful egos.

Couldn't beat Agesilaos' parenthetic number two. The discovery of parts or all of a "Hieronymus" would be a momentous "Prandi moment" for the Hieronyman industry!
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

1/ for Atg - an undiscovered son old enough to rule when he died OR a fast motor car. Bet he'd choose the car

2/ 'Faces of Power' by Andrew Stewart

3/ for the others - Craterus and his troops in Babylon when Alexander died OR modern social media. Wonder who would win at selling themselves?
hiphys
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by hiphys »

1) A fighter aircraft , not to win more easy his enemies, but to produce a thunder so big that Anassarchus would be satisfied and really believe he was the son of Zeus;
2) I naturally would like to receive from him all the original works of historians who were his contemporaries, all the inscriptions written during his reign, all his letters (private and public) and the authentic Royal Ephemerids;
3) a smartphone to see how their history would end and hand down to posterity, so that they'd behave accordingly.
delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by delos13 »

1) for ATG - modern top notch health care services in Ecbatana in the fall 324 BC (ok, I am a romantic)
2) for me - time, financial means, physical ability and political atmosphere to visit all the places where Alexander went
3) for ATG associate - my choice would be for Perdiccas - to emerge a winner in Diadochi war

But seriously, Santa, if all the above is too fancy, can we all just have a time machine. One per person.