The cry of the tomb of Alexander the Great from the desert at Siwa Oasis

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

ian991

The cry of the tomb of Alexander the Great from the desert at Siwa Oasis

Post by ian991 »

Hi,
I was reading this the other day and I find it really sad to see this project being cancled due to political reasons! :cry:

What do you think about this?
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Re: The cry of the tomb of Alexander the Great from the desert at Siwa Oasis

Post by Efstathios »

Why hasn't the analysis of the bones found in Casta moved forward, even thought it has been funded with 236000 euro? For the same reasons the excavation at Siwa didn't move forward. For the same reasons Casta is now covered in dirt. Because politics. Maybe because there should be no important findings that can spark a patriotic feeling for the Greeks at this period. And I emphasize patriotic, and not nationalistic. Maybe because it suits or doesn't suit each government, as it was with the previous one that used Amphipolis for votes. It's the only explanation I can give. It's all about politics in Greece, and this should be known to the rest of the world, so that they know the real reasons. And maybe then, the situation could change. And don't get me started on Archaelogists. How they become prominent, and they don't know the difference between Macedonian and Roman.
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
Sir Winston Churchill, 1941.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

You aren't sounding very happy about all of this Stathi! Can't say I disagree with you but it was ever the way in Greece. The Generals and Alexander, the Vergina tombs.... If it makes you feel any better, it is worse in the Levant and "Holy Land" where everything has a religious / modern political colour.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Indeed Michael. As for the monument found in Siwa, it is very possible that it was the original tomb of Alexander before his body was moved to Alexandria. But unfortunately details for this monument are hard to find, and are the subject of a debate.
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
Sir Winston Churchill, 1941.