My proposal for material to be added to your site

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

lindqum

My proposal for material to be added to your site

Post by lindqum »

To all:the following in quotes is from Thomas to me."Why not post his in the forum and see whether the companions think that it
should be included?Thomas"
The following is my original email to Thomas.
Sir,your website on Alexander is very good and easy to use. I appreciate all the scholarly information and research. I couldn't help but notice one source of historical accuracy that is missing from the site. That source is the book of the prophet Daniel from the Bible. Please consider adding the following verses which, I think, would add a greater depth to the excellent sources you cite. The following verses illuminate these facts about Alexander:*Greece/Macedonia was defeated and humiliated by Persia before Alexander.
*His kingdom was the third major kingdom from Daniel's time forward, Babylon being the first and Media-Persia being the second.
*The destroyer of the Persian empire was the king of Greece/Macedonia.
*Alexander's army was known for great speed.
*The horn thing again.
*Alexander fought the Persians with anger and revenge, but at the height of his career he died.
*Alexander's kingdom was divided among his four generals and not his heir.Daniel 236-á-á-áThis is the dream; and we will tell the interpretation thereof before the king.
37-á-á-áThou, O king, art a king of kings: for the God of heaven hath given thee a kingdom, power, and strength, and glory.
38-á-á-áAnd wheresoever the children of men dwell, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the heaven hath he given into thine hand, and hath made thee ruler over them all. Thou art this head of gold.
39-á-á-áAnd after thee shall arise another kingdom inferior to thee, and another third kingdom of brass, which shall bear rule over all the earth.Daniel 11
1-á-á-áAlso I in the first year of Darius the Mede, even I, stood to confirm and to strengthen him.
2-á-á-áAnd now will I shew thee the truth. Behold, there shall stand up yet three kings in Persia; and the fourth shall be far richer than they all: and by his strength through his riches he shall stir up all against the realm of Grecia.
3-á-á-áAnd a mighty king shall stand up, that shall rule with great dominion, and do according to his will.
4-á-á-áAnd when he shall stand up, his kingdom shall be broken, and shall be divided toward the four winds of heaven; and not to his posterity, nor according to his dominion which he ruled: for his kingdom shall be plucked up, even for others beside those.Daniel 8
1-á-á-áIn th
xxx

Re: My proposal for material to be added to your site

Post by xxx »

We do have a section under religion where I think this bears mention. But I should say, despite what appears to be indicated in the Bible, the Book of Daniel is considered in scholarly circles to have been written after, not before, Alexander. So while it attempts to predict 'Alexander' much as Aristander would have tried to do as chief seer, it is Alexander worked into the framework of a religious document and should be approached from a historical rather than religious viewpoint.
davej
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: My proposal for material to be added to your site

Post by davej »

I have read the passage I can't see that it has any historical significance at all. I was ear bashed by bible bashers when I studied Koine, and I have never gotten over it. To this day I can't eat lamb, the new testament has about 2.5 million refences to sheep and lamb. I do not see that Daniel has anything to offer, I am afraid. Any dates, figures, battles, names, facts figures.... anything useful. No I don't think so. For the record I am or used to be a christian.