Alexander program on the History channel

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

derek
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by derek »

For anyone in the US:

The History Channel is showing a new program tomorrow night, Tuesday October 31st, about Alexander's siege catapults. It's part of the "Man, Moment, Machine" series, and is at 10pm eastern.
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Thanks, derek.

Finally a special on Tyre and the *versatile* use of Alexander's artillery. For myself I believe massive crucifixions were necessary though not mentioned, none-the-less the hour special was educational especially for individuals not too familiar with ATG.

Regards

Andrew
jasonxx

Hail Andrew

Post by jasonxx »

The Crucifictions kinda brought on themselves. Would any one assume that with the Torment and agravation Tyre Caused Alexander and the Maceodonians for Months. Did the Tyrians Expect Tea Cakes and Waffles.

Comparing that to What Rome Did to Carthage was pretty Small Rome obliterated Carthage for a reason it existed and what Hannibal had done to them earlier.

Kenny
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hi Kenny,
Yes as you say, Rome's appetite for destruction was nowhere better seen than in Carthage.
It was the thorn in their side and after the Romans had taken Carthage they took to salting the land.
I suppose that Alexander must have had real trouble towards the end of the seige with moral amongst the troops sitting round.

The crucifixions was Alexander being the little devil- we see this facet too in Persepolis where the troops are let loose- the place where Parmenio wisely desisted.
Best wishes,
Dean
carpe diem
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Greetings Kenny

Great way to shake up the hornets nest with your initial jasonxx posts, nicely done!

The Romans were forced to make examples in the west and eventually to the east, when your bitten by a yellow-jacket you destroy their nest.

I recommend this special, if it comes your way, it dwells on Alexanders' use of the ballista and how his engineers further developed the torsion catapults also used on ships and siege towers, no doubt horse hair was implemented as it was ready available. The film also shows a modern copy with rope used as torsion, this unit was extremely accurate. Just imagine the damage these units inflicted on the enemy in the field.

Regards

Andrew
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Hail Andrew

Just when we dumped Sky. We got fed up of repeats and insurance adds. But the Programe Sounds tasty. Ive always been into the siege things and inparticular the marvels the way ancient made things.

Some time ago we had engineers atchitects etc try to build a massive Roman Crossbow. With all the modern Technology the thing smashed to pieces after been fired Twice.

Since the Programe I met some of the advisors to the programme. I pointed out that I doubted even the Romans built such a machine. The ammount of sinew to create the torsion would have been miles long and the basic Idea as far as Im concerned to shoot a boulder was wrong. Not like the swing arm slings.

Regards

kenny