What´s your favourite scene of Stone´s ATG

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Yauna

What´s your favourite scene of Stone´s ATG

Post by Yauna »

Many words have been said in pothos about this film but I feel that not very much of them were positive. So I think it´s time to say something this way and can be the scene of the film that you preferred.

Mine is the ATG entrance in Babylonia because looks to me very near to what ATG lived that day.

Which´s yours?
aleksandros
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by aleksandros »

When they ask you why you fought so bravely you will answer: i was here this day at Gaugamela for the freedom and glory of Greece.

and..

...you as well as i know that as the years decline and the memories stale and all your great victories fade, it will always be remembered, you left your king in Asia!

But anyways i ve told my thoughts on this film. Sometimes its like i have to choose between a Greek Alexander and a gay Alexander and i am not allowed to pick both...
ΤΩ ΚΡΑΤΕΡΩ
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

The scene at the end of the film where Ptolemy looks upon the bust of Alexander. It was a nice scene, and maybe the only scene that we see a real Alexander.
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Efts

I agree with you on the Ptolemy speach as I said it brought a tear to my eye. Megas Alexander. But as stated before no resemblence to anyone in the movie.

Kenny
rjones2818

Post by rjones2818 »

I enjoy the taming scene...the close-up of the horse's hooves are a bit much. I also really ejoy the cavalry heading toward the right!
jan
Strategos (general)

Difficult to say, but

Post by jan »

:D of several that I like a lot, the one that impressed me as being the closest to depicting the character of Alexander in battle is when he is astride Bucephalus, riding towards the great huge elephant carrying King Porus (so we are to think) with his eyes wide open. I see that one as trying to emulate the mosaic of Issus portrait from the front. I like that one the most as I like the music that accompanies it, and it is to me the really closest and most accurate of Alexander's behaviour when in battle. Truly fearless...(other personal reasons for liking this scene, but I guess it is a Stone inside his mind reason for combining this scene with the death of Bucephalus and the time when Alexander takes his hit where he is close to death after he jumped)! I actually apprecaite Stone very much in this particular piece of direction. It is great! :D

Post script: I am writing this post a bit in a coded way: this scene makes me think that Governor Jerry Brown is a kind of King Porus, and for some reason or other, Stone must reaize that too! I am wondering anyway.... :wink: (as I know that many in USA read this website, this is :?:
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

The ending credits! (jk) Sorry, it is the festive season after all.
Yauna

Post by Yauna »

Hi Smitty

I can´t believe you didn´t find anything good in this film, Anthony Hopkins-Ptolemy, Gaugamela,even the start ....... Sure is not your best watched film or your ATG but I only asked for a scene.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

One of my favorite scenes seems to be universally hated, even by those who love the movie and still discuss it on related forums. I’m talking about the scene after Alexander is injured in India and the screen turns to a blood red. IMO the color and the camera work perfectly convey that “disconnect” from reality that would have been caused by Alexander’s life-threatening wound. (I had a concussion when a child and my poor bounced-around brain caused me to anticipate everything that was said to me; i.e., I already knew what they were going to say before they said it. Or, at least, I thought I did. :) ) Anyway ... I like the imagery here, although I do believe I’m alone in this.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

amyntoros wrote:One of my favorite scenes seems to be universally hated, even by those who love the movie and still discuss it on related forums. I’m talking about the scene after Alexander is injured in India and the screen turns to a blood red. IMO the color and the camera work perfectly convey that “disconnect” from reality that would have been caused by Alexander’s life-threatening wound. (I had a concussion when a child and my poor bounced-around brain caused me to anticipate everything that was said to me; i.e., I already knew what they were going to say before they said it. Or, at least, I thought I did. :) ) Anyway ... I like the imagery here, although I do believe I’m alone in this.

Best regards,
No, you aren't alone..there might be two of us. Everything "changed" with that wound (in the film)...
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

Hi Yauna,

I've only watched the movie once, and that was difficult enough to sit through. I don't recall any particular scene that made me go 'Ahhh'. Having said that I'm sure if I sat through it again - which I can't imagine doing - there may be something I liked.

In any case, I'm quite comfortable with the notion that some people liked the movie or some scenes.

cheers!
pankration

Post by pankration »

I disliked the movie but after reading the above posts I realize that there were many good parts to the film, most of which you guys have identified. Here's one more: Alexander standing on the top of a mountain looking out towards the Himalayas. It is at this point you recognize the scope of his campaign.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

pankration wrote: ...Alexander standing on the top of a mountain looking out towards the Himalayas. It is at this point you recognize the scope of his campaign.
And there's the face, formed in the mountains. Did you catch that? Can't remember who it is known (or thought) to be. Prometheus? Olympias? Athena's Owl will know. :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:
pankration wrote: ...Alexander standing on the top of a mountain looking out towards the Himalayas. It is at this point you recognize the scope of his campaign.
And there's the face, formed in the mountains. Did you catch that? Can't remember who it is known (or thought) to be. Prometheus? Olympias? Athena's Owl will know. :)

Best regards,
I thought it was Philip's face - I'd need to watch that scene again to be sure, of course, but that's certainly what my (failing) memory is telling me ...

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

I always assumed the face was Prometheus, but it is never said in the film or the commentaries who the face is.

I liked that scene. The interchange between Alexander and Ptolemy was good. The geography of Aristotle was wrong and they knew it now. The world was a vast place.

And it covered a bit of ATG's personality...his need to go on (whether you agree with Stone's interpretation or not). He could not stop. The scene was also very subtle in that if you watch Ptolemy's face...there is a parting of the ways there. The beginning of the end for him and Alexander doesn't see it. Liike the old Ptolmey said, "We couldn't go on".

Also, in response to the first post talking about old Ptlomey describing ATG as a god, yes he did, but didn't he also say that "of course he wasn't, we make him better than he was" or something like that.

As an aside I'm watching "Reign the Conqueror" again. What a goofy mess, but I enjoy it. And underlying it are a couple of interesting themes. Alexander's "need for speed"..his inability to stop. And the idea that he will destroy the world. It is THE recurring theme of the piece.

Spoiler ahead. In the end he did "destroy" the old world, but left a new one in it's wake. The child Euclid carries the Platohedron (going from memory here) and he is the furture of the new world...the math, the science....