Faaaaabulous Alexander musical

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

karen
Hetairos (companion)

Faaaaabulous Alexander musical

Post by karen »

If you're in the no-way-he-was-gay camp, this will make your blood boil.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=15807
A Kiss from Alexander, book and lyrics by Stephan DeGhelder, music by Brad Simmons (New York Premiere) -- May 24 – June 2 – "It’s in the East Village of NYC where attractive director Nick Matthews is staging “Alexander Was Great!” an over-the-top gay musical that portrays the ancient Macedonian world conquerer as a royal party animal. Alexander himself – now a diety – is restored to mortal life as a beautiful and gifted actor and sent to Earth to foil Nick’s blasphemous show. Alexander almost succeeds until he discovers that Nick is the reincarnation of his great love, thereby sending what was a campy, backstage musical into a romantic tailspin as immortal love blazes anew. "
Okay, I'm going to do the anal spelling police bit here... it's DEITY, darn it... D-E-I-T-Y. "Diety" means something to do with nutritional intake. A Pothosian, I won't name names, made the same mistake just the other day. Tsk!

Update: found that the production has a website -- http://www.akissfromalexander.com. From the synopsis I'm inclined to sound the "Bad Alexander art!" alarm, but it is only a synopsis. And there are actual good reviews around. (It premiered in 2005.)

Simply deeeevinely,
Karen
Beatriki
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

:)

Post by Beatriki »

I heard from this musical loonngg ago, but I'm happy to see it has finally started!!

I've read the synopsis twice, and I'm not sure I've understood it well... what the f*** is it about??? :lol:

Kisses, Beatriki
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Played in Chicago in 2005

Post by karen »

...now will be playing in New York City, starting May.

As I gather: a ne'er-do-well musical director produces a show in which Alexander is portrayed as a dissolute man-hungry party animal. The real Alexander, who is now a deity (not a diety, mind) is notified of this slander on his good name, and decides to do something about it, by reincarnating as an actor. In an extreme case of typecasting, he takes over the lead role and sets about making the show more historically accurate, while fending off the resentment of the actor he's supplanted... and finding himself oddly attracted to the director, who turns out to be Hephaistion reincarnated. You can kind of guess how it ends.

So it's kind of a crazy plot, but apparently there are lots of jokes and the songs are very clever and the guy who plays Alexander playing Alexander is a great dancer...

Warmly,
Karen
Beatriki

Re: Played in Chicago in 2005

Post by Beatriki »

karen wrote:...now will be playing in New York City, starting May.

As I gather: a ne'er-do-well musical director produces a show in which Alexander is portrayed as a dissolute man-hungry party animal. The real Alexander, who is now a deity (not a diety, mind) is notified of this slander on his good name, and decides to do something about it, by reincarnating as an actor. In an extreme case of typecasting, he takes over the lead role and sets about making the show more historically accurate, while fending off the resentment of the actor he's supplanted... and finding himself oddly attracted to the director, who turns out to be Hephaistion reincarnated. You can kind of guess how it ends.

So it's kind of a crazy plot, but apparently there are lots of jokes and the songs are very clever and the guy who plays Alexander playing Alexander is a great dancer...

Warmly,
Karen
Wow, this is a confirmation that Showtime based Brian Kinney on Alexander :lol:
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Alexander the musical

Post by ruthaki »

Well that sounds like a lot of fun. No matter what, it keeps The Great One's name alive and revives an interest in the real one, not the diet (er...sorry) the DEITY. hehehe.
I wish I could see it. Bet it's hilarious. I'm sure Alexander and Hephaestion are have a good giggle over it too.
pankration

Re: Alexander the musical

Post by pankration »

ruthaki wrote:Well that sounds like a lot of fun. No matter what, it keeps The Great One's name alive and revives an interest in the real one, not the diet (er...sorry) the DEITY. hehehe.
I wish I could see it. Bet it's hilarious. I'm sure Alexander and Hephaestion are have a good giggle over it too.
At first I got riled. A gay musical about Alexander?! Then I started to think about it. At least these guys are having some fun and being campy on purpose unlike a certain director.
Greeks wrote some of the first great comedies. Every facet of society was a target. Good luck with your play, guys!
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Greeks wrote some of the first great comedies. Every facet of society was a target.
Including gays. These guys wouldnt be so happy if they actually had seen an ancient Aristophanic play.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Efstathios wrote:
Greeks wrote some of the first great comedies. Every facet of society was a target.
Including gays. These guys wouldnt be so happy if they actually had seen an ancient Aristophanic play.
NYC is the theatre capital of the world and I wouldn't assume that everyone involved with the play or the festival has never seen (or performed in) a play by Aristophanes. They would certainly have had plenty of opportunity over the years. Also, I don't believe that Aristophanes' plays reflect the entirety of ancient Greek culture any more than this musical is the total sum of cultural attitudes today.

That said, I've bought my ticket . . . :P

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Deeeee-vine!

Post by karen »

Amyntoros, I can't WAIT for your review!

Have a blast.

ATB
Karen
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

lol, I hadn't heard of this before. Looks really unintentionally funny (unless it's meant to be funny?