Alexander Revisited (The Final Cut) DVD

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

birdlover
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by birdlover »

Hi everyone, I hope you all are well.

I have not been here for quite awhile (so some of you may not remember me). But, I have been reading some of the posts about the new DVD. Just to clarify the release date schedule, the region 2 DVD is due out on April 2nd. I don't know when any other regions are due. So for region 2 people, you don't have too long to wait.

I have seen the new version and I have to echo rjones2818 sentiments and say that it is a stronger film than the previous two versions (but, I was one who liked the film from the beginning). The heart of the story remains intact, but the extra footage and dialog makes the difference, overall. It is definetely worth a look.

Dara :)
marcus
Somatophylax

Drat

Post by marcus »

birdlover wrote:I have not been here for quite awhile (so some of you may not remember me). But, I have been reading some of the posts about the new DVD. Just to clarify the release date schedule, the region 2 DVD is due out on April 2nd. I don't know when any other regions are due. So for region 2 people, you don't have too long to wait.
Hi Dara,

Well, it looks as if I won't be getting it tomorrow, then. Of course, my laptop will play multi-region DVDs, but I don't want to be able to watch it only on my laptop.

Will have to stick to reading this weekend, then ...

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
birdlover

Post by birdlover »

Hey Marcus, It's nice to see you again.

Sorry for the bad news ruining your DVD viewing plans. But April 2nd is not long away.

I know you were one that liked the film (along with a few others on this board), so I think you will enjoy this cut just as much or even better (I am anxious to read your thoughts on it).

Here is the announcement on the release of the Region 2 DVD:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63813

Dara :)
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

birdlover wrote:Hey Marcus, It's nice to see you again.

Sorry for the bad news ruining your DVD viewing plans. But April 2nd is not long away.

I know you were one that liked the film (along with a few others on this board), so I think you will enjoy this cut just as much or even better (I am anxious to read your thoughts on it).
Hi Dara,

Yes, I did like the film ... I like the original Director's Cut better ... and I'm looking forward to the third version. I've got other plans for this evening, now, so the delay isn't upsetting me too much! :)

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
keroro

Post by keroro »

@ Paralus - Thanks for the concern, but all my DVD players are multi-region so it should play OK. :)

@ Dara - Thanks for the info on release schedules. I may wait for the Region 2 release since it is only a month away now. I wonder if it's going to come with a free ticket for 300.
Best wishes,

Keroro
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip »

Hey guys, I'm new to the boards. I can't say I'll be posting too much since my plate is a little full, but like many of you I'm sure, Alexander is my hero (as cheesy as it may sometimes sound) and I adore Stone's film. I finally got around to banging out my review, so if anyone is interested in my thoughts, check out http://wetoldyouwhattodream.blogspot.com/ :)

Take care!
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Well hello there Mod Hip.

From your review (on your site)…
I still wonder why Stone chose not to include such things as Alexander's private studies under Aristotle or his first battle under Philip (which he ran from), but I did ask about it when he offered to field some questions posed via MySpace and I'm now awaiting a response, considering he finds the question worthy of an answer.
I too would be much interested in any answer you might receive. I wonder who, though, might have run from which battle? The text as you’ve written would indicate Alexander ran from his first battle under Philip – the battle of Chaeronea in 338.

Would that be after “he was first to break the ranks of the Sacred Band” as Plutarch puts it? If indeed he did scarper from the field, I'd be forced to agree that he "ran" as I have taken the position, in this forum, that he was likely on foot at this battle.

There were, as I recall, scenes of Aristotle’s teaching the young Alexander and his companions in both cuts. They dealt with the nature of love between men, the Persian Empire and the Barbarians that inhabit it and the fact that if Alexander ever reached Ocean, he could sail back down the Nile I think.

I’m yet to see the latest re-cut of the director’s cut of the original cut. If it flops overseas, we here in the antipodes may not ever see it!
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip »

I must admit that while I am greatly interested in the subject of Alexander, my studies in the area have included only watching the film many, many times and reading Harold Lamb's book "Alexander of Macedon". From Lamb's writings I was under the impression that Alexander buckled under the pressure as he was approaching the enemy (by foot or by steed I cannot be sure) and found a moment to duck away and rest by a riverside, at which point he fell asleep and missed the entire battle.

This could be incorrect and if it is I greatly appreciate you pointing it out. Either way, thank you very much for taking the time to read my review!

On the subject of the film itself - You are absolutely right about Aristotle's teachings. In this new edit they are extended but no new subjects are covered. I feel, however, that while this introduction is crucial, more interesting would be Alexander's years of private study - from the little I've read it is apparent that he showed an exceptional amount of interest and innovative thinking, particularly considering his age. The best reason I can assume for Stone not having written any scenes like that is that perhaps he felt he could demonstrate that innovative thinking through action as opposed to going out of his way to create a whole other scene.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Mod Hip wrote:I must admit that while I am greatly interested in the subject of Alexander, my studies in the area have included only watching the film many, many times and reading Harold Lamb's book "Alexander of Macedon". From Lamb's writings I was under the impression that Alexander buckled under the pressure as he was approaching the enemy (by foot or by steed I cannot be sure) and found a moment to duck away and rest by a riverside, at which point he fell asleep and missed the entire battle.

This could be incorrect and if it is I greatly appreciate you pointing it out. Either way, thank you very much for taking the time to read my review!

On the subject of the film itself - You are absolutely right about Aristotle's teachings. In this new edit they are extended but no new subjects are covered. I feel, however, that while this introduction is crucial, more interesting would be Alexander's years of private study - from the little I've read it is apparent that he showed an exceptional amount of interest and innovative thinking, particularly considering his age. The best reason I can assume for Stone not having written any scenes like that is that perhaps he felt he could demonstrate that innovative thinking through action as opposed to going out of his way to create a whole other scene.
Yes, I have to say that I think Lamb was making that bit up. There's certainly no ancient source that suggests it, to my knowledge.

Similarly, there isn't anything that specifically suggests that Alexander received any private tuition from Aristotle. He might have done, of course, but nowhere is it said that he did. I wonder whether the source where you gleaned that had inferred it from the fact that Alexander's copy of the Iliad had been annotated by Aristotle - perhaps (although I don't think so) indicating that Aristotle gave him separate lessons on Homer.

I haven't read your review yet, but will do so when I get a chance. Do stick around and join in any of the other discussion on this forum - always nice to have new faces with an interest (and, from my point of view, who like Stone's film! :o ).

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip »

I appreciate the response and the interest in my review!

The version of Lamb's book I purchased was actually from an online audiobook download site. It was part of a free trial period and normally the book costs upwards of $70 so I decided to get it and listen during my bike rides to and from work. In that transaction I never got a full description of the work, only a few good reviews - is it indeed a more fictional work? It is obviously arranged in novel format but my impression during my first listen was that it was based on fact. I'd be pretty disappointed to learn a lot of it was made up :(
ScottOden

Post by ScottOden »

Lamb's Alexander falls into the same category as the upcoming film 300, based on Frank Miller's graphic novel: it uses history as a basis then quickly strays off into fantasy.

That said, I have a soft spot for Lamb's work -- especially his fiction (he was one of the 1920's and 30's pulp writers who influenced Robert E. Howard to try his hand a historical short stories). I remember reading Alexander of Macedon in grade school, and I still own a copy today. It's good entertainment, but for a more truthful account I'd stick to Arrian, Curtius, or Diodorus -- or a contemporary historian if you like modern commentary on Alexander.

Regards,

Scott
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip »

Thanks for the author suggestion - I definitely enjoyed Lamb's work and found it very believable... never knew it was so fanciful, however. I'd like to check out one/a few of the ones you mentioned.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Mod Hip wrote:Thanks for the author suggestion - I definitely enjoyed Lamb's work and found it very believable... never knew it was so fanciful, however. I'd like to check out one/a few of the ones you mentioned.
I would certainly suggest that you read the ancient sources as soon as possible - Arrian and Quintus Curtius Rufus are the easiest to source, along with Plutarch's "Life of Alexander".

To get a good understanding of Alexander's career, and also of some of the problems to bear in mind when you read the ancient sources, I'd definitely recommend a couple of modern books - you might even find it useful to read one or more of these first:

N.G.L. Hammond "The Genius of Alexander the Great"
Peter Green "Alexander of Macedon, 356-323BC: A Historical Biography"

There are many others, but these two are good, accessible and well-written commentaries that are ideal for getting a solid overview.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip »

Awesome man, I GREATLY appreciate it - I'm bookmarking this page so I can reference it when I need to remember those names and titles.