Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Vergina Sun
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Vergina Sun »

I wonder how our "civilized" society can stand such barbaric film-making.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Vergina Sun wrote:I wonder how our "civilized" society can stand such barbaric film-making.
The only thing that was "barbaric" about the film-making was the exercise regime adopted to produce the chiselled abdominal muscles of the Spartans.

But the film, in my opinion, is hardly the most "barbaric" I have seen. I think our civilised society can stand much more barbaric films than 300, and constantly does.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

marcus wrote:But the film, in my opinion, is hardly the most "barbaric" I have seen.
An opinion I share. :) One only has to look at recent horror movies - Saw, Hostel, etc. - to find "barbarism" with unbelievably realistic gore. (No, I didn't pay good money to see these in the theatre, but they crop up on cable and I've caught parts of them whilst surfing the channels). 300 is a very different kettle of fish. I watched it in the theatre from a front row seat (like to stretch my legs) and from that vantage point it was impossible not to observe that the blood spurting in the battle scenes is digitized and far from realistic - a very strong comic book effect.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Speaking as a big fan of violence in movies (yes yes childish... :oops:), the battle scenes in '300' did not keep my attention. Perhaps because things were so one-sided and you never felt that the Spartans were under any kind of threat. The violence, to be suspenseful, needs to involve a bit of skill on both sides - that's how battle scenes, martial arts movies or even good shoot out scenes work.

I found the dialogue terrible, character's cliche and and the whole thing over the top. Leonidas' "inspirational" speeches made my friends and I giggle, as did every other übermacho moment in that movie. Either Leonidas was not a very good leader or we üntermenchen would've made terrible soldiers.

Saying that, there are plenty of movies that I find little merit in that other people love. It's usually just a simple matter of opinion. However, in the case of '300', it's really sad that looking African can be a marker of "evil" in a movie made in the 21st century. IMHO, that type of thing should be unacceptable in this day and age.

It was also kind of pathetic thatI still sat through to the end, so as not to make my friends uncomfortable and because the guys were half-naked. Yes, my priorities are well jumbled up...
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Semiramis wrote:It was also kind of pathetic thatI still sat through to the end, so as not to make my friends uncomfortable and because the guys were half-naked. Yes, my priorities are well jumbled up...
Well, at least you're honest about it! :D

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
sikander
Somatophylax

Violence: A Global Language

Post by sikander »

Greetings,

Quote: "I wonder how our "civilized" society can stand such barbaric film-making."

Because there is so little civilization in the world...

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat1.htm
http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/dictat.html

Regards,
Sikander
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Sikander

Your list of genocide pertinantly puts the point. Then theres what i call indirect Genocide and Political Genocide.
How many Africans are destined for death and suffering with aids,famine, Intertribal warlord massacres. just overlooked by western powers because theres no money in it.
How many 3rd world children work all day for a few pounds. And die early.
How many Rhodesians are been systematically beaten by Mughabi.

The list is on and on.

Compared to the suffering inflicted at athe cost ofor flash cars and fancy handbags and the latest mobile phones id abhorant. Compared to the suffering on an every day basis the so called brutality in 300 is a mere blip.

Sikander your absolutely right todays society constantly goes on about society been civilized. Well of course it is. Se the Scenes on the News and watch the Burmese Government and be assured the brutality would be much worse of the world media wasnt zoomed in on them.

300 is what its meant to be a brutal war film no thrills. Calling 300 is brutal is kinda hypocritical. When todays viewers relish at Slasher movies and gory horror movies.

Kenny
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Sikander

Your list of genocide pertinantly puts the point. Then theres what i call indirect Genocide and Political Genocide.
How many Africans are destined for death and suffering with aids,famine, Intertribal warlord massacres. just overlooked by western powers because theres no money in it.
How many 3rd world children work all day for a few pounds. And die early.
How many Rhodesians are been systematically beaten by Mughabi.

The list is on and on.

Compared to the suffering inflicted at athe cost ofor flash cars and fancy handbags and the latest mobile phones id abhorant. Compared to the suffering on an every day basis the so called brutality in 300 is a mere blip.

Sikander your absolutely right todays society constantly goes on about society been civilized. Well of course it is. Se the Scenes on the News and watch the Burmese Government and be assured the brutality would be much worse of the world media wasnt zoomed in on them.

300 is what its meant to be a brutal war film no thrills. Calling 300 is brutal is kinda hypocritical. When todays viewers relish at Slasher movies and gory horror movies.

Kenny
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Sikander,

For the second link, in the list of genocides, the number of dead in Iraq between 2004 and 2006 is listed as 2,000. This is unlikely to be accurate.

Take care
Phoebus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Phoebus »

Remember, it's only supposed to encompass deaths caused by Zarqawi.

Having said that, many of the so-called genocides on that list, including Zarqawi's, hardly meet the criteria for the word (or at least the intent, at any rate).
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Phoebus wrote:Remember, it's only supposed to encompass deaths caused by Zarqawi.

Having said that, many of the so-called genocides on that list, including Zarqawi's, hardly meet the criteria for the word (or at least the intent, at any rate).
Indeed. There is no doubt that many of the people on the list caused many millions of deaths; but most of them were not part of a systematic attempt to destroy an entire race of people. Although Stalin, for example, did target certain groups specifically, the 13 million (or whatever the number given is) killed in the purges were not all from the same racial/national group. It is, in fact, incorrect to call everything on that list genocide.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Phoebus wrote:Remember, it's only supposed to encompass deaths caused by Zarqawi.

Why only mention Zarqawi when so many have been killed in Iraq? Agree with you and Marcus about the definition of the word. Although, my brain usually refuses to make that distinction when it comes to violent deaths.
sikander
Somatophylax

A rose by any other name...

Post by sikander »

Greetings,

When a species... or race, if you will, as in human race.. is so intent on destroying its own kind, I find the term genocide apt.

Perhaps this is why I find some of the outcry against the ferocity of Alexander somewhat hypocritical.. the history of the human race, world-wide, is a history of destruction.

I recognize that, collectively, we tend these days to frown on a person from somewhere else who declares his or her intention to conquer the world, or who commits atrocities against any group or group... yet each people, nation, ethnicity, religion and political party finds a way to justify their *own* destructive tendencies when they wish to attack, kill, take, destroy.. even to the point of claiming to destroy someone or something "for its own good"...

By whatever name, under whatever flag or banner, for whatever excuse, too many still look at the world and say "I want"

I find Alexander's action completely understandable, completely human and completely comprehensible. The same is true of any movie that depicts the glories of war, whether it be set in the modern or ancient world. The point is to win.. otherwise, there *is* no point. The violence of the world is predictable, and therefore, it is expected that fims would reflect what we as a species "enjoy" most..

This is not to diminish the voices for peace, but in my own experience, I find too often those voices for peace become voices of oppression when *they* hold the power..
Peace may well be the most elusive element of humanity, because its rewards are less tangible, less "instant", than war... and require a greater effort.

Regards,
Sikander
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Sikander

I think you have nailed the button on the head. I agree with everything you say. I would wager most in Pothos regard me as some kind of war monger who glorifies war and killing. Im with anyone that could ever find a way to stop suffering of any kind.

But by human nateure the essence is of greed and to have regardless of who else or what else has to pay theprice. Society today is full of fluffy Ostrich behaviouir where those in a ok way of life burry therre heads in the sand and pretend its better today and it just aint happening.

With my referenceto hypocrasy. Indeed moderners can ridicule Alexander .The Roamns etc but in reality nothings changed. The weapon today for mass destruction and killing is more obscure and potent. Economics.

We forever hear about do good western governments putting sanctions and boycots on brutal regimes. Where these actions onl;y cause more harm to those already sufferin. Sanctions against Mugabi wont stop him or his boot boys getting a good feed.

Alexander was brutal but a little more transparent than todays policies.

Kenny
LadyA

Violence

Post by LadyA »

I know I'm new here, but I just had to speak out on this topic. The movie 300 is no more violent than any other slasher/horror moive ever made, where showing blood is done just for shock value only. These films these days are only trying to one up each other, from Hostel to the Saw films to Grindhouse. The violence in 300 was done to show the brutality of war, because there is no civilised way to have a war that I know of. In ancient times it battle done at close range. You got to see into the face of the person you were fighting/killing and not distance yourself through the site of the gun.

I'm not a huge fan of 300, don't get me wrong, but there is more to knock about the movie than the violence of it.