Another Alexander the Great Movie?

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Vergina Sun
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Another Alexander the Great Movie?

Post by Vergina Sun »

I just came across the news that there's another Alexander the Great movie coming out. It's called "Young Alexander the Great". The release date in the US is in December. The IMDB site is here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390197/maindetails and the trailer is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOHC3LSgOYA I can't find too much information on it, but hopefully more will come out soon.
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Oooh, I don't know

Post by karen »

This one has been around for quite a few years, and I've seen some still shots that struck me as cheesy. The trailer has a cheesiness about it too.

No help that in the cast list we see "Leto" -- which means it's based on Massimi. Not a good sign. There are a bunch of other weird characters, too. Like, who's Marius the Sayer? Or Argon, or Kali? Is Artemus a misspelling of Artemis? Perhaps someone who's read all of Massimi can enlighten?

That said, I have to say that in the trailer, Sam Heughan as Alexander looks more commanding and imperious than Colin Farrell...

Quivering with conflicting feelings of anticipation and dread,
Karen
Jemina

Post by Jemina »

(sneaks out of lurker hiding place)
Ooph, I don't know. The teaser doesn't reveal much, well, it is a teaser so that's to be expected. Still, from it as well as from the imdb-photos I get the impression of another movie where they think it's enough to put people into sort-of-ancient clothes and rely on battle scenes. I guess that it does work or else there would be less of it :lol:
Still, I hope there'll be more than just hero-worshipping of young Alexander. I'd be more interested in scenes with him and his parents or Aristotle. Or him and friends getting drunk. Or whatever. I'm tired of battle movies...
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Leaning more towards dread

Post by karen »

...after seeing this website: http://www.ilyasalkindcompany.com/alexa ... ature.html

Leto seems to be an archer with a penchant for skin-tight leather or suede clothing...

(heavy sigh)
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Isn't this the one otherwise known as "Alexander 90210"? :lol:
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Post by karen »

ROTFL!!! :lol:
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Very funny! 90210...he, he, he.
Alexander is at school, where he lives and studies with other boys, the sons of Macedonian noblemen. Their tutor is the legendary philosopher, Aristotle. The atmosphere is friendly but competitive, however, Alexander experiences all the problems a modern teenager has today, be it bullies and cheats at school, or winning the affections of beautiful girls.

Alexander's first "battle" is to try to win the respect of his Father, and to become the Regent whenever the King goes off to war. He leads a small, young team against ruthless, cunning mercanaries who threaten his Father's life. Lives will be lost on both sides; valuable lessons of the heart and mind learned; and the stage will be set for dramatic world history to come.
Oh dear me. That first paragraph might lead one to expect that it might be a Macedonian version of "Sex In The City". Then again that last would give the impression it is more along the lines of "Young Indiana Jones". And about as historical.

Dont you love the Macedonian shield thingy on the shoulder? Perhaps this is the costumer's version the the phalangite pelte as high fashion?

Here we go again....
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Vergina Sun

Post by Vergina Sun »

Paralus wrote:Very funny! 90210...he, he, he.
Alexander is at school, where he lives and studies with other boys, the sons of Macedonian noblemen. Their tutor is the legendary philosopher, Aristotle. The atmosphere is friendly but competitive, however, Alexander experiences all the problems a modern teenager has today, be it bullies and cheats at school, or winning the affections of beautiful girls.

Alexander's first "battle" is to try to win the respect of his Father, and to become the Regent whenever the King goes off to war. He leads a small, young team against ruthless, cunning mercanaries who threaten his Father's life. Lives will be lost on both sides; valuable lessons of the heart and mind learned; and the stage will be set for dramatic world history to come.
Oh dear me. That first paragraph might lead one to expect that it might be a Macedonian version of "Sex In The City". Then again that last would give the impression it is more along the lines of "Young Indiana Jones". And about as historical.

Dont you love the Macedonian shield thingy on the shoulder? Perhaps this is the costumer's version the the phalangite pelte as high fashion?

Here we go again....
Oh joy... Alexander as a modern teenager. I cannot wait to see him get bullied and hear his lame attempts on pick-up lines. I must say, I have never read Massimo's trilogy. Could anyone tell me who Leto is? I'm just dying to know. That, and also what is going in that picture with Hephaestion and Kleopatra!? I am completely baffled by it.

Anyway, Alexander 90210. :lol: Haha!
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

I wish I could claim credit for it, but I read it somewhere in a discussion about this film. But it is pretty dang funny and, it seems, appropriate.

The film does sound like it's aimed at teens or even tweeners. But if it shows up on cable I might give it a gander. I sat through the TV versions of "Jason and the Argonauts" and "Hercules", which it seems, oddly, had the same fellow who plays Hephaistion in the 90210 movie cast as Hercules. People really want poor old Hephaistion to be a dumb brute...did Paul Cartledge cast that thing?

Which reminds me in a completely pointless way.... "Rome"..Mark Anthony at one point says "What to do, what to do?" as Thomas did in his topic title. Does anyone know where that phrase came from originally? I found a refernce all the way back to 1864, but is it from something famous that when I am told I will slap my forehead and go "duh!".
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

athenas owl wrote:Which reminds me in a completely pointless way.... "Rome"..Mark Anthony at one point says "What to do, what to do?" as Thomas did in his topic title. Does anyone know where that phrase came from originally? I found a refernce all the way back to 1864, but is it from something famous that when I am told I will slap my forehead and go "duh!".
Well I can't verify this, but according to one website:-

“There is nothing that I can do for someone who is not constantly asking himself: ‘What to do? What to do?’” (The Analects of Confucius, 15.16) :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

In a first glance the movie seems nice. The actor that plays Alexander is good for the role. It probably wont be totally historical accurate and some stories and people are made up, but it's another Alexander movie, and i believe it will be good.
Jemina

Post by Jemina »

"Alexander experiences all the problems a modern teenager has today, be it bullies and cheats at school, or winning the affections of beautiful girls."

Yeah. I can totally see the heir of Philip having real problems with bullies and all the girls avoiding him all the time because he has some spots on his face.... Not to mention that he has to cheat at the monthly multiple choice tests issued by Aristotle...
Vergina Sun

Post by Vergina Sun »

The concept was a good idea. I always thought Alexander's early years were very interesting. I don't think this is going to be any Fire From Heaven though. I suppose it will focus on how he's just like all those other teens who have problems out there. As karen said before, the trailer and stills do seem cheesy. Let's hope the movie isn't the same.

Oh, and this is for Jemina :wink: :

Who will be the next king of Macedon?

A) Arrhidaeus
B) Alexander III
C) Caranus
D) Other ___________

Ptolemy: I knew I should have studied!
Cassander: Well, it's obviously me.
Alexander: Hey!
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Maybe they have a horse race to figure out who gets the girl.. fast and the furious Macedonian style?
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Vergina Sun wrote: As karen said before, the trailer and stills do seem cheesy. Let's hope the movie isn't the same.
You ain't seen nuthin yet! Take a look at this old article from Egypt Today (can hardly believe I've had the url stored all this time). Scroll down for the photos of Cleopatra and Niobe and their ... ahem ... clothes.

I'll let you guys make the jokes 'cause I'm at a loss for words :lol:

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor