Alexander and UFOs

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Alexander and UFOs

Post by rocktupac »

I was watching something on the History Channel about ancient accounts of extra terrestrials and reports of UFOs, and they said that on two separate occasions Alexander and his army saw flying saucers: once while crossing a river in Persia and once again during the siege of Tyre. They even claimed that the UFO at Tyre shot a fire ball at the walls and knocked a section down!

This was completely foreign to me. I have never read anything about this. I know not everything from the History Channel is entirely accurate, but where could they have gotten this from? The Alexander Romance?
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Ive seen no mention of UFOs or fire balls knocking sections of Tyres walls down.

Maybe insendualries were fired from Balistas I dont know.
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Although I doubt Ancient Insenduaries could smash walls. I doubt they were hard core like an explosive Shell or cannon call. More a mass of combustable material.

Id say UFOs comes straight out of the fiction books.
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Indeed, i have heard this story too, but i havent found anything like this in any source that i have read.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Alexander and UFOs

Post by marcus »

rocktupac wrote:I was watching something on the History Channel about ancient accounts of extra terrestrials and reports of UFOs, and they said that on two separate occasions Alexander and his army saw flying saucers: once while crossing a river in Persia and once again during the siege of Tyre. They even claimed that the UFO at Tyre shot a fire ball at the walls and knocked a section down!
And this was on the History Channel? Well, I've practically stopped watching TV because so much of it is utter rubbish - and here's all the proof I need. :(

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

If anyone has the inclination, check out this UFO Evidence website on Alexander and the flying discs. The site's author has obviously spent some time researching the sources for this myth - and coming up empty (no surprise!) for any ancient evidence.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:If anyone has the inclination, check out this UFO Evidence website on Alexander and the flying discs. The site's author has obviously spent some time researching the sources for this myth - and coming up empty (no surprise!) for any ancient evidence.
Yes, and all the evidence they do cite comes from books, magazines and websites all about ... yep ... UFO sightings.

Well, at least they admit that the whole thing sounds very dubious! :lol:

What a load of old nonsense.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

There is another myth about Alexander, with no evidence to back it up. Supposedely there were 2 factions in Earth in the very ancient years, both coming from other planets. Alexander came from the good faction, and in his time and during his campaign he hunted down the remaining of the opposing faction who found shelter inside Earth, and then closed the entrances which led there.

Of course there are absolutely no accounts of Alexander doing this. It's yet another version of the story that humanity comes from the stars, and that there is also an opposing faction, that is now underground, and that is linking to the hollow earth story, and is manipulating people from there and awaits to come above again.

The thing with these stories, is not the hard to believe part. Because you know that reality sometimes is beyond the most fantastic story. But the fact that there are no facts about these things, and some stories like these about Alexander, have no basis on the known sources.
azara
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Unidentified Flying Nonsense

Post by azara »

This account of an UFO in antiquity has at least the merit of being recorded by legend:
Numa Pompilius was the second of the Kings of Rome, succeeding Romulus. He was assisted by the nymph Egeria, who met him in a sacred grove and inspired his actions as a wise legislator. When Rome was struck by a plague, the god Mars caused a shield to fall from the sky at Numa’s feet; on it a prophecy was inscribed referring to the glorious fate of the city. Impressed by this miraculous event (the shield, after all, had missed his head for a few inches, unless his feet were abnormally long), Numa had eleven identical shields made, to disguise the original one and discourage a hypotetical thief. These were the twelve ANCILIA, the sacred shields of Mars, which were carried each year in a procession by the Salii priests, who during the ceremony sang a hymn so ancient that not even they could understand its words.
Well, all this is a godsend (literally) for UFO fans: the falling object, the mysterious language… And yet its connection with reality is the same as Alexander's with UFO and mine with The Flying Dutchman. Cordially
Azara