The Watchmen

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

The Watchmen

Post by jan »

:D There is a new movie out called The Watchmen. I am sure most of you have heard of it. I learned of it through Darthajax at Karnaketernal. Both Alexander the Great and Karnak get a mention in this film, so I decided to see it today. Anything that mentions Alexander must certainly get a look, and the movie is a good one! Very well made, very sexy, very bloody, and very thoughtful too. The set designs are superb! The movie is a hit! Try to see it! :wink:
Phoebus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: The Watchmen

Post by Phoebus »

I was curious how much of a mention that connection would get in the movie. The graphic novel put a good deal of emphasis on the influences Alexander (and one other historical figure) had on one of the protagonists. Good to see it's there. :)
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Phoebus wrote:I was curious how much of a mention that connection would get in the movie. The graphic novel put a good deal of emphasis on the influences Alexander (and one other historical figure) had on one of the protagonists. Good to see it's there. :)
One line on Alexander, that's all. The rest of his influence on Ozymandias (as per the graphic novel) was never filmed.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Phoebus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Phoebus »

Man, I simply don't have luck on graphic novels, then.

I don't know if anyone here saw the movie "Sin City" or not. At any rate, it's based on a graphic novel by Frank Miller, who also wrote and illustrated "300". In the graphic novel form of "Sin City", Dwight and his allies find themselves having to face the most powerful crime syndicate of that "alternate" Las Vegas in a narrow alley. The setup has an overview of the alley; the next page (the book, brilliantly in my opinion, forces you to turn the page to see this, which makes for a rather surprising visual) shows a Spartan hoplite in the pass of Thermopylae, and the narrative explains the parallel between the two situations. It then, on the next page, shows Dwight in a similar setup.

Sadly, "Sin City" the movie did not show this scene. And I guess "Watchmen" simply continues this trend.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

The real question is why it is that Alan Moore wanted to have his Ozymandias character refer to Alexander anyway. Because one thing that fascinates me in the comic book is the photo of Dr. Manhattan and Janey sinking into the sands of Mars as the poem Ozymandias has the statue of Ozymanidas sinking into the sands of Egypt. Who is really Ozymandias? Adrian or Dr. Manhattan and Janey?

I just found the comic book today to read because that provocative statement about Alexander by Adrian Veidt in his pyramid made me want to read the book. I am only midway through it but find it quite interestng and found the remarks about Alexander to be very succinct and positive. Surprised the heck out of me. Who would have thought that a few lines in a comic strip would be so admirable?

But after reading Unmasked and finding how really shallow and dreadful that Adrian really is, is it flattery after all? Or just plain cynicism?

Comedians are who usually deliver one-liners, or stingers, so who is the real Comedian, Eddie or Adrian?

Fun, huh? :evil: