Manfredi in the Times

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

David Symes

Re: Manfredi

Post by David Symes »

I agree with Jan. While no Renault, Manfredi is interesting to consider and really not a bad read. Whether true or not, I can hear the roll of Philotas' tongue as he yelled "Alalai" just as the arrows pierced his heart. Gripping stuff!
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Kate, I agree. I tried twice (diligently) to read
Child of a Dream. Perhaps it was the translation, but it was so boring, no character development, inappropriate language, and to me not that well written. I gave up after 35 pages. Ho hum.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thanks, I just finished reading about the capture of Bessus and was amazed at the interpretation that Manfredi gave to the Persians capture of Bessus. It is an interesting chapter, which reminded me of when I read about Genghis Khan and his troops also urinating on the horses. Good reason for wearing trousers! To protect your thighs from blisters but to wet in them? I wondered about that.Actually, the death of Parmenion by Demetrius was well thought out as well. I continue to read my version of Plutarch which I got through the internet while reading Manfredi's imagination at work. The literary defects belong to Halliday but actually I forgive the change of view character a lot in this reading. Literary devices are just dreadful and not worthy of an educated college professor, but I am overlooking that to understand the interpretation.Glad I have someone else who likes the read. It is most interesting as the death of Parmenion reminded me of the setup on the leader of the tribe of Afghanistan who was ambushed by a news media. This book is quite relevant for current events. I am forever wondering if Ousama edited it, published it, or just read it. He comes through loud and clear lots of time. I see him a bit like Aristotle, recalling when he ran his finger down my cheek. Interesting, huh? Now I understand the gray eyes!
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Jealousy does not become you. The publishers are using color codes to let me know that this is apiece of cake for me, and I am very aware of it. The blue must be for Theresa. This book is quite personal and I am able to understand where, when, and why. I like it, knowing who my friends are.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Since the only original materials are so obscure, it is anybody's imagination as to the kind of friendship that ATG and Heph had. I think of it as platonic friendship but in the third book, Manfredi suggests that each took their turn with the woman who started the fire, and that fascinated me. Sheis portrayed as a kind of Jennifer Lopez to my mind. In Plutarch, he says that after awhile, ATG doused the fire.I enjoyed your comments as it is interesting to see how each and every person reacts to the same stimuli. All of this is mostly psychological, isn't it?
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Actually, the cry "alalai" would have been cut distinctly short.. also called a "zag'areet" or "za'eet", it requires pushing the sound from the throat while vibrating the throat muscles- try *that* while being pierced by an arrow!
It would sound more like "alal-uh"
Regards,
Sikander