Alexander in the "Porus" series

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Alexander in the "Porus" series

Post by system1988 »

The indian actor Rohit Purohit is in my humble opinion the best (physiognomic) resemblence to the real thing since the very begining of cinema, tv, and theater. Proof below:
8932_600.jpg
8932_600.jpg (47.13 KiB) Viewed 18295 times
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Alexander in the "Porus" series

Post by delos13 »

I have to admit, when I compared the actor's real life images with the ones where he plays Alexander, the makeup artists of the Porus series did a far better job than their colleagues of Alexander. Let alone hairdresser/wig creator. :)
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

delos13 wrote:I have to admit, when I compared the actor's real life images with the ones where he plays Alexander, the makeup artists of the Porus series did a far better job than their colleagues of Alexander. Let alone hairdresser/wig creator. :)
Yes they indeed did a far better job. Truth be told the series as a whole has many ridiculous elements but as far as the depiction of Alexander is concerned, I maintain that he is the best incarnation yet.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

I can see what you mean now!
Susa the Great

Post by Susa the Great »

OMG the Indians can really look like any people on earth! It is so amazing. Just like Brazilians -- our passports are the most expensive in the black markets :D :D

BTW, is it possible that all episodes can be watched online?

http://porusdrama.com/watch-video-porus ... episode-1/ ???

I'm shocked & happy!!
Come live forever with me, or transpire / a flame alone on a funeral pire / We'll build an empire if we so desire, travel the world, and set it on fire.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

'Btw is it possible that all episodes can be watched on line ?"

Only if you pay,) In Greece " youtube trasmitted it normally . but recently stopped of course to force one to pay. It can be watched but in poor quality and without subtitles ( i have learnt some words in hindi... like ' king ' queen 'my son ' my daughter' ' you grow so tall '' you too' ... thrilling !!!!

I dont know if i will pay, but i am happy i watched the no 52 and the some others. I ignore all the historical inaccuracies, and the fanny appearence of the common people, as well as the appearance of the Karyatides of the tomb of Kasta of Amphipolis as gigantic candlestciks..!. I like so much this Indian actor .. he is the ideal Alexander.
Last edited by system1988 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susa the Great

Post by Susa the Great »

system1988 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:00 pm 'he is the ideal Alexander.
Oh Gods, he is, isn't he? I'm having absurds goosepimples! The eyes are sooo whooooaaa!! Ok, women go peculiar about Alex, I'm no exception. :oops:

As for the episodes --- yes, I noticed there are no subtitles available in Google search. I'll do what somebody here said he would: I'll go for imagination.

Good for you, learning hindi :)
I've seen lots of indian movies, but just can't get the hang of hindi.
Come live forever with me, or transpire / a flame alone on a funeral pire / We'll build an empire if we so desire, travel the world, and set it on fire.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Dear Susa the Great do you really believe i am learning hindi ? I was joking ... but the meaning of some words yes , i just have guessed because the actors repeat them constantly !

:D :D :!:
Susa the Great

Post by Susa the Great »

Noo, surely not! I know whtcho mean by "learning some words" -- the same as I do: bhai (brother), raj (king) and so on.

Who would learn hindi in 50 episodes anyway :D

;)
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

https://www.sonyliv.com/details/episode ... ll-Anusuya

https://www.sonyliv.com/details/episode ... Legal-Heir

Here it is for all interested, two episodes from the series: The one of February 6th that depicts the moment that Alexander and Hephaestion fall in love while the February 9th episode shows them holding hands, something that i find particulary importantly homophobic indian population.
Susa the Great

Post by Susa the Great »

system1988 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:22 pm https://www.sonyliv.com/details/episode ... ll-Anusuya

https://www.sonyliv.com/details/episode ... Legal-Heir

Here it is for all interested, two episodes from the series: The one of February 6th that depicts the moment that Alexander and Hephaestion fall in love while the February 9th episode shows them holding hands, something that i find particulary importantly homophobic indian population.
See, Indians are as homophobic as any US americans, or Brazilians, or as many other nations and cultures around the globe. Nothing specially homophobic about India. They have the hijras there, the sacred eunuchs. Not that they are treated fairly all the time, but there they are, and they are invited to bless marriages, and when they come up in the streets, people give them money to be blessed, and so on (I have met a couple in Delhi while I was riding a tuk-tuk, and they look wonderfully ancient, it is like going back in time! Unfortunately I didnt have the time to reach out for the money drat!).

As for what you said above, about the "ridiculous elements" in Porus tv series, I have something to say. You'd be amazed at the amount of idiocy each country in the world finds related to other country, if you don't know it already lol. What many westerners think is ridiculous, for Indians it will be romantic, or comic, even dramatic. It is their own stuff.
And, besides, we are all ridiculous in our own ways, you know, in the eyes of other cultures, or even in the eyes of our own people.

This tv series, Porus, has an exquisite production, the actors are good (or very good in their roles, like Rohit & his Alexander!), and the plot makes one stuck to the TV screen --- I just can't watch only one episode per day, I make it 5.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

I will tell you a secret , i follow the series whenever and wherever i am , but i dont want anyone to know !
Susa the Great

Post by Susa the Great »

system1988 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:07 pm I will tell you a secret , i follow the series whenever and wherever i am , but i dont want anyone to know !
lol

You're pretty safe then, when you say this in Pothos :lol: :wink:
Me too, haha

[shhsh, I have to smoke at least three cigarrettes during & after seeing Rohit :oops: :oops: :oops: ]
eclipse

Post by eclipse »

Wow, thanks for recommending this.

I've been watching it on YT, and there are a bunch of episodes with English subtitles, and English summaries for the ones that don't. I'd never watched anything Indian before, so it was a shock for me with all the dramatic camera angles and effects and acting. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to get used to it, but after a while, I was hooked.

Some of the actors are very good, and thankfully, Alexander's is one of them. I don't like Hephaestion's look, but I appreciate that he's always there around Alexander. And everyone looks very different, they don't suffer from the sameface syndrome, something that annoys me when I watch TV series or films.
tyomich123

Post by tyomich123 »

delos13 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:03 pm I have to admit, when I compared the actor's real life images with the ones where he plays Alexander, the makeup artists of the Porus series did a far better job than their colleagues of Alexander. Let alone hairdresser/wig creator. :)
In fact, a very good job from Alexander. Very pleased with his game, just enjoyed.