Modern take on "He is Alexander too"

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Modern take on "He is Alexander too"

Post by delos13 »

First, a very important disclaimer. I know it is a hot political topic so I want assure you I am not posting it here in order to ignite any sort of controversy.

While browsing Facebook I saw this caricature but almost scrolled down because my Greek is too poor to translate any political witticisms. And then I noticed the name at the base of the statue and knew I had to make an effort and translate. I hope I am not very off in my understanding but if yes, I appreciate if any native speaker can correct.

So, here is what I think is in the speech bubble: "Behold, Alexi, here is a solution to the problem of our friendship".
Alex and Heph.jpg
Alex and Heph.jpg (33.13 KiB) Viewed 8339 times
Last edited by delos13 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Modern take on "He is Alexander too"

Post by system1988 »

Good evening, you were very close , congratulationS , the entire sentence goes as following ' Alexis ,our frienship has inspired me to find a solution to this problem too '
I suppose that apart from the Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, one could also see depicted Zaef himself the President of North Macedonia who cosigned the Prespes Accord, according to which Fyrom ( 'Macedonia" to the world )
changed the name to ' North Macedonia ' . Apart from the decisions taken , the treaty also is concerned with a myriad of details , from changes to school books etc. One of the changes is that all the modern statues of the greek heritage ,which includes those of Alexander the Great , must have their legends removed .The N.Macedonia replaced them , with the legend ' ancient warrior " !!! Its a matter of either crying or laugning about
If we were to conclude this , the legend tablet is an indirect mention of the Amphipolis tomb monument ,which is theorized to be Hephaestion s mausuleum / heroon /cenotaph

Have a nice trip !
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Jeanne Reames
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Modern take on "He is Alexander too"

Post by Jeanne Reames »

LOL!
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Director, Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Graduate Studies Chair
University of Nebraska, Omaha