Quickie question

Discuss Philip's achievements and Macedonia pre-Alexander

Moderator: pothos moderators

karen
Hetairos (companion)

Quickie question

Post by karen »

Pausanias the Bodyguard who assassinated Philip was the son of Kerastes -- but what was the name of the father of the other Pausanias, the page related to Attalos who killed himself on enemy spears because Pausanias son of Kerastes had slighted him? Is it known?

Thanks in advance,
Karen
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Quickie question

Post by Fiona »

karen wrote:Pausanias the Bodyguard who assassinated Philip was the son of Kerastes -- but what was the name of the father of the other Pausanias, the page related to Attalos who killed himself on enemy spears because Pausanias son of Kerastes had slighted him? Is it known?

Thanks in advance,
Karen
I don't think it's known. Diodorus doesn't mention it, and neither does Aristotle. I haven't heard before of the bodyguard one being son of Kerastes, though - where d'you find that? I thought he was just Pausanias of Orestis. That's all he gets in my ancient classical dictionary, anyway.
Is this for your novel?
Fiona
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Quickie question

Post by karen »

Hi Fiona:
I don't think it's known. Diodorus doesn't mention it, and neither does Aristotle.
Rats... means I'll have to make up a name so as to distinguish the two Pausanias's in that paragraph (yes it's for the novel). And I don't really like doing that. Unless someone else can tell me?
I haven't heard before of the bodyguard one being son of Kerastes, though - where d'you find that? I thought he was just Pausanias of Orestis. That's all he gets in my ancient classical dictionary, anyway.
I read it somewhere, darned if I can remember where. Heckel would have it, I would think.

Thanks Fiona!

Karen
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

If it were "have-able", Heckel would have it. I am at the office and so do not have Heckel.

If there's no answer by tonight, I'll have a look and see. I know he has Pausanias, the hypaspist and murderer, written up.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Heckel has this: "A young Macedonian of unknown family, identified merely as a lover of Philip II and friend of Attalus. (D 16.93.4-5) :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:Heckel has this: "A young Macedonian of unknown family, identified merely as a lover of Philip II and friend of Attalus. (D 16.93.4-5) :)

Best regards,
Just what I was going to write until I saw you had already done so ... :wink:

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Post by karen »

Thank you all. Looks like I am indeed going to have to be creative. Oh well.

Gratefully,
Karen