rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Recent Media Attention: Tombs at Vergina

Post by rocktupac »

marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Recent Media Attention: Tombs at Vergina

Post by marcus »

rocktupac wrote:News about the possible re-identification of the tombs at Vergina is starting to hit the general media. Here's a few recent articles:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... great.html

http://www.newkerala.com/one.php?action ... s&id=52310

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=53 ... id=3510212

http://www.dailyindia.com/show/232681.p ... -the-Great
I'm glad that the world's press are picking up on it - I read the story somewhere (can't remember where) a few days ago.

I'd love to go to Vergina - it's a bit weird, really, that being in Europe I haven't been - should be so easy, and yet ... :cry:

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
derek

Post by derek »

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I've read and reread the National Geographic article, and it starts off by saying that Philip's not in the tomb after all, but that it's Arridaeus and therefore the items belong to Alexander. Then you read on, and it's conclusion seems to be that Philip is in tomb I, Arridaeus in tomb II and Alexander jr in tomb III.

I don't get it.

Derek
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

It was thought he was in tomb II so it is different, though this theory has been knocking about for years Borza seems to have sound archaeological reasons whereas before much rested on the condition of the bones in tombII dry cremated rather than with the flesh on (or not that was disputed too!)
derek

Post by derek »

Yes, my mistake. I was thinking tomb I was the one ascribed to Philip. Makes sense now.

I’d heard the arguments against Philip in the past but I’d always wanted it to be his tomb and his scarred skull and his breastplate, because – a bit like the Lochness Monster and the Yeti - wouldn’t that be great if it was true. But if being Arridaeus’ tomb means its contents include some of Alexander’s personal possessions – then sod the Lochness Monster.

Derek
abm

Post by abm »

derek wrote: But if being Arridaeus’ tomb means its contents include some of Alexander’s personal possessions – then sod the Lochness Monster.
That is of course if it means that. Arrhidaeus certainly will have had his own shield etc. And even if he continued to carry around Alexander's possessions after June 323, they need not necessarily have reached his tomb. When Olympias had him killed, she might well have taken anything that belonged to her son from him. Of course, when Kassandros in his turn had Olympias killed, he might have retrieved Alexander's possessions. Even then, it seems just as likely that he decided to keep them himself: he need not have buried them along with Arrhidaeus.

As to the identification of the occupant of tomb II, Borza's statement "no single item constitutes proof, but the quality of the argument increases with the quantity of information" seems very apt. There is no direct new evidence; just more study of what evidence there already was (indirectly, of course, such rather recent discoveries as the tomb at Agios Athanasios, might shed some light on Vergina as well).
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

I thought the archaeologists of Andronikos team who discovered the tombs, had recorded we had in the specific tomb a primary burial. This means Arrhidaeus couldnt be the occupant of that tomb as his corpse along with his wife's had been initially disintered and had a formal burial later by Cassander in Aigae.
abm

Post by abm »

Andronikos and his team recorded many elements which would exclude Arrhidaios, but none of those are undisputed.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

abm wrote:... recent discoveries as the tomb at Agios Athanasios, might shed some light on Vergina as well.
How one would love to access some literature on this. It would seem to be a Greek national secect....
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

Secrecy would imply some level of competence, I think. Anything that involves one of the standing Greek ministries of government is often sadly lacking in that department, I'm afraid. :(
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Phoebus wrote:Secrecy would imply some level of competence, I think. Anything that involves one of the standing Greek ministries of government is often sadly lacking in that department, I'm afraid. :(
He, he. Welcome back Phoebus.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

Thanks, Paralus. I have about 80 days left here... and hopefully I'll be able to communicate during that span.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Thanks for posting these links Marcus. It's great to see that there is still so much interest in these amazing tombs. I was excited to read the part about Alexander IV as well. It's amazing that some of the details which helped them sort this all out had been overlooked for so long.
I have been out of the "loop" for too long and it was great to come here and find this post. :D
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem