Philip II of Macedon: Sent by Apollo

Discuss Philip's achievements and Macedonia pre-Alexander

Moderator: pothos moderators

Spartan JKM

Philip II of Macedon: Sent by Apollo

Post by Spartan JKM »

Kudos to all of you; what a great site here! I've played observer for too long :wink:

Hello everyone. I am an avid student of this great subject, and would like to delve in by sharing a recent dissertation of mine.

"I had arrived at this result, for no other hypothesis would meet the facts."

- Sherlock Holmes, in A Study in Scarlet

"...Such was the end of Philip, who had made himself the greatest of the kings in Europe in his time, and because of the extent of his kingdom had made himself a throned companion of the twelve gods. He had ruled 24 years. He is known to fame as one who with but the slenderest resources to support his claim to a throne won for himself the greatest empire in the Greek world, while the growth of his position was not due so much to his prowess in arms as to his adroitness and cordiality in diplomacy. Philip himself is said to have been prouder of his grasp of strategy and his diplomatic successes than of his valor in actual battle. Every member of his army shared in the successes which were won in the field but he alone got credit for victories won through negotiation.

Now that we have come to the death of Philip, we shall conclude this book here according to our original statement. Beginning the next one with Alexander's accession as king we shall try to include all of his career in one book..."

- Diodorus Siculus, Bibliotheca Historica, Book 16.95

Greetings all :D

Just about two years have passed since this thread, one I have always wished to return to so some issues of disagreement etc. could be addressed. Forgive my 'ambitious' attitude, but I have been a little frustrated since due to lack of time to work on this (a little impediment called 'life' :lol: ), hence any overt 'frustration' regarding my pressed opinions on this fantastic subject.

I initiate here discussions about Philip II of Macedon, whose broad legacy involved the formation of a new political organization in the form of a Greek monarchy in 337 B.C. Basically, and from a modern perspective, this was not conducive to the effectuated ideal of 'rule of the people' (kratos > demos), but far more so for the direction of a new military instrument for conquest from a single will. This condition was, of course, for better or worse depending on one's values resting on an immense study of Philip II against 'liberty and equality'. He didn't 'unite Greece' in the sense they could decide their own future with added 'security' as part of a common community; the League of Corinth (anachronistically described), or Community of the Greeks (to koinon ton Hellenon) instituted by Philip as the largest representative body in Greek history, was essentially based on a constitutional standing which prevented, in theory, any future civil strife and internecine war among the Greeks (the 'league' was an enforced peace). The glue that held the League intact was not so much Philip's military power but the deterrent of possible isolation which he established.

For the most part, Philip failed in any 'realignment' of Greek political thought, in terms of an attempted reconciliation of local 'nationalism' with a true Greek national unity, evidenced by the strife amid much of Greece against Macedonian rule immediately after his and Alexander's death. The failure to keep the peace at home and gain enthusiasm for a campaign against the Achaemenid Persian Empire abroad was not caused merely by any lack of time for his policies to work themselves out, but the fact that his power came far more on the battlefields than in any of the diplomatic circles, thus those who 'accepted' his terms could not really risk facing the alternative. Philip had designed a standing army which could campaign just about anywhere, thus anyone who had hitherto been relatively safe (eg, the Aetolians against Athenian invaders in 426 B.C.) due to natural bounds etc. were now compelled to accept what Philip wanted. The Common Peace he established was not only based on his military power, but on Greek diplomatic practices and inter-state conciliation, both of which were commonly acceptable to most of them. Alexander and the diadochi would renew many of the agreed conditions.

Forgive me in advance, as there may be redundant comments, information and discourse out of order, terseness, and an overall 'rough' syntax upcoming: this has been compiled piecemeal from various scattered writings I have jotted down impromptu from time to time. I had a bit of chip on my shoulder in response to an irascible though scholarly poster (I'm guilty of a little sensitivity :oops: ). They don't behave like that here on pothos, where the scholarship is seemingly too high for uncivil behavior. Anyway, this project belonged on a site such as this initially. But most of all - the upcoming is loooooooong (perhaps this topic should be broken up?), thus I don't expect anyone to get to it anytime soon. There's no hurry. Take your time; it isn't going anywhere. You all seem terrific to correspond with :D

Open up enthusiasts! I hope this came out OK: I just don't have time to revise it, and I want to share it here on pothos. All the quotes henceforth - without being identified as the poster - are from various threads on twcenter.net, all relevant to the great king of Macedon Philip II, not to mention the father of arguably the most overall famous man of action in military history - Alexander the Great.
...From what I've learned about Philip of Macedon and Alexander the Great, it seems Alexander's achievements are overrated. Firstly, I'll begin with the Macedonian army. It was Philip of Macedon who made the important military reforms. He introduced a proffessional army, which was not a new concept in the Hellenistic world, but still a concept only known to the Spartans (the size of the Spartiate army was never more than 8000 at any battle though). Philip's levies, armed with a sarrissa, a 5 meter pike, compared to the 2 and a half meter doru, the spear of the hoplites. It was Philip who developed the "Western" style of combat - heavy infantry and heavy cavalry…
Perhaps an over-simplification, but yes - well opined (IMHO). That Alexander is 'overrated' is, of course, a matter of private conviction, not to mention entailing criterion, not a verdict resting on any 'objective basis' - an interpretation which could be argued as a subjective claim (people do that often - 'I look at the facts' talk), in an interpretative context, in itself (arguably). What is less well know than Philip's time as a hostage in Thebes (probably between 368-365 B.C.) is that Philip was also a hostage in Illyria (Diodorus, Historica Bibliotheca, Book 16.2.2; Justin, Historiarum Philippicarum Libri XLIV, Book 7.5.1), although the surviving accounts don't agree completely on specifics: Diodorus has Amyntas III, soon after his defeat at the hands of the Illyrians in 383 B.C. (for the second time in a decade), impelled to hand over his infant son Philip to them as a hostage as part of their exacted tribute; Justin, however, states that Philip was ransomed not until at least fourteen years later, by Amyntas' successor Alexander II, and sent by him to 'the Illyrians' as a hostage (part of a 'purchase of peace'), and then thereafter ('some time later’) sending the boy to Thebes. Information from Plutarch seems to indicate what modern historians have extrapolated, that Philip was 'received as a hostage' by Pelopidas in Thebes through the political machinations of Ptolemy of Alorus, a monarchical regent of Macedon (the scarce evidence prevents clarity here) until 364 B.C. (Life of Pelopidas, Ch. 26.4).

Regardless, Philip's 'rudiments of education' on his path to being a master of political and military science etc. could very well have been affected, too, by his time in Illyria (if not too young); he would have eyed things invaluable among his 'captors' in aiding his understanding on how to tackle them in 358 B.C. (though we don’t know if he was captive of the Dardanians, specifically), where his first victory over them revealed maturity and tactical genius, and the dawn of Macedonian military greatness. However, that theory is based on an assumption that he was housed with similar conciliation as he was in Thebes, something we can ever know. But he was royalty, hence almost certainly wouldn’t have been 'afflicted' in any manner by the neighboring Illyrians.
…Demosthenes was not a disinterested scholar at the Lyceum writing about the nature of the Macedonian state, and its leaders.

Demosthenes was an Athenian patriot, nationalist, supporter of democracy and political leader; who had identified Philip as the single greatest threat to Athenian interests, friends, and continued existence as a free state of the first order. For much of his earlier career however, a fair section of the Athenian population and other political leaders, a majority in fact did not agree with his view. Thus one needs to consider that Demosthenes very much needed to draw the darkest picture of Philip he could in order to motivate the Athenians to his pint of view. Secret promises of traded cities are rather far fetched – but they served Demosthenes need to suggest that Athens could only trust Philip when a spear was at his throat.

The point of my scenario was not what was; but rather to simply note that if Demosthenes saw Persia and not Macedonia as the greatest threat to Athens - the Great King and not Philip would surly have suffered the wrath of his oratorical talent…
I don't fell Philip ever really 'suffered' as the prime target of Demosthenes' wrath, whose genius was basically more blinkered than that of the great Macedonian; Philip proved every bit as masterly in artfully dressed diplomacy, prevaricated politics, and particularly the human quality of eloquence (invaluable to effect action in the Greek world) as much as any figure of his age. Demosthenes was a complex, controversial, ambiguous, and influential giant of his time. He was indeed an incorruptible patriot who kept himself at the head of affairs because, mainly, he was too strong for his opponents in the Assembly, including the more, in my opinion, admirable and no less patriotic Aeschines. I don't have the right to lay down compulsory parametric standards, but Demosthenes' exhortations should be taken with 'caution' depending on what one wishes to make of them; his authoritative arguments were lain with brilliant cogeneration, and he did indeed travel to places to gain more for verisimilitude for his cause than mere hearsay. But his persuasions in establishing the final coalition against Philip was not solely due to his persuasive oratory; plenty of Greeks warred against Philip who carried no deep affection for Athens. The growth of Philip's organized power simply held many contrasting interests of those who decided to oppose him in the final clash. For all in all, Demosthenes, not benefiting from any past precedent to gauge the severity with what he had to deal with, failed to fully grasp what Philip was all about - which was far more than any dubitable elements of northern 'barbarism', corruption, and bribery. Perhaps it was a lost cause, though - how to unite within Greece what was needed to face up to the military power of a new national state, lead by a master of war and politics. As it were that simple...

Peter Green aptly, though perhaps a little too tersely, wrote in his terrific study, Alexander of Macedon, 356-323 B.C., Pg. 33,

"…The shifty Athenian demagogues who lied and shuffled would find that they had met a more charmingly persuasive liar than themselves. The hotheads who prated of patriotism and liberty would see both cut down to size by troops trained on deeds rather than rhetoric…"

I have drawn the links from Demosthenes' Speeches etc. from perseus.tufts.edu (the link may not stay available on this post after some time).

That Philip II was an exceptional army creator was exuded by Demosthenes, tacitly revealing the composite and balanced nature of Philip's aggregate army amid his forensic requirements as a patriot to his state; it is from the oratorical energy of Demosthenes we see that a precious surviving glimpse from a contemporary that Philip had developed the most formidable army Greece had ever seen by the early 350s B.C. The upcoming quotes are taken out of context for my own 'forensic' purposes, of which those of Demosthenes are with an overlying derisiveness of Philip (I have provided the url links). But separating that from the gains of insight on the building stages of Philip's work, they ring true, as they are in agreement with other surviving fragments and passages from the times. The famous speeches began in 351 B.C., and throughout his admonitions to his Athenian audiences (he soon was admitted into the Amphictyonic Council), Demosthenes made references to Philip's capacity to 'seize an opportunity' (First Olynthiac, Speech 3), his 'restless activity' (First Olynthiac, Speech 14), and his 'insatiable ambition' (Second Olynthiac, Speech 18, albeit proclaiming this attribute being 'among his many faults')

Demosthenes, Second Olynthiac, Speech 15, c. 349 B.C., in as close as the great orator comes in a favorable comment on Philip,

"For indeed Philip by all that might be deemed to constitute his greatness, by his wars and his campaigns, has only reduced his country below its natural level of insecurity. You must not imagine, men of Athens, that his subjects share his tastes. No: glory is his sole object and ambition; in action and in danger he has elected to suffer whatever may befall him putting before a life of safety the distinction of achieving what no other king of Macedonia ever achieved."

Demosthenes, Second Olynthiac, Speech 17, c. 349 B.C.,

"...it is not difficult to see how the majority of the Macedonians regard Philip. As for his household troops and foot-guards*, they have indeed the name of admirable soldiers, well grounded in the science of war; but one who has lived on the spot, a man incapable of falsehood, has informed me that they are no better than other soldiers."

*Demosthenes voiced the term pezhetairoi, but in his context he was not pertaining to Philip's infantry as a whole; even though Demosthenes didn't seem to have a clear idea what the term denoted exactly, he knew of their existence. His connotative way of describing them appears more apposite to the hetairoi (Companion Cavalry), who made up more so the king's circle of intimates as well as being 'well grounded in the science of war'. But there existed the agema (the King's Bodyguard, which could comprise elements of both horse and foot), which included the most privileged of the hypaspistai, who were indeed the 'foot-guards', not the regular phalangitae (the exact nature of the restructuring and dated nomenclature are obscure). The hypaspistai in function, though perhaps not yet in name, are clearly present in Philip's victory over Bardylis:Diodorus relates this in the battle as Philip commanded the right wing 'which consisted of the flower of the Macedonians serving under him' (Bibliotheca Historica, Book 16.4.5), and in their tactical conjugation Philip used his cavalry for flank and rear attacks, hence this comment from this great thread bites the dust:
Did he exploit wing cavalry – what the evidence?…

...Overall cavalry simply does not figure that much in Philips battles. Alexander looks like the one on really elevated the decisive cavalry charge to the pride of place in the Macedonian system.
This is demonstrably false, containing no gray upcoming. The first part of this retort was not in connection to anything specified about Chaeronea, to which there exists no direct supporting evidence from the surviving ancient records. This is exactly what was written here which was quoted and responded to:
I think that one of the most overlooked contribution to the greatness of Alexander was his army. An army that his father, not he, created. It was his father that trained sheep herders into hardened soldiers. It was his father that redesigned the Macedonian phalanx with Sarissas and exploited wing cavalry. It was King Philip that crushed the Greek city-states and made the League of Corinth (with his sons help). In no way am I implying that he was a greater commander, he wasnt, but he did plenty. And Alexanders army was very well trained, without them I dont know if he could have got as far as he did. Then again, even when he mixed his Macedonian troops with Persians the army still did well. Makes me think Alexander could have won with any army, eh?
That's a succinctly accurate assessment, from my view. Philip most certainly did redesign the Macedonian phalanx with sarissai and indeed exploit winged cavalry. It is clear from ancient military writers that he introduced the wedge formation to his mounted tactical doctrine, which facilitates wheeling, thus employed for flank and rear attacks on the enemy lines - like a 'flight of cranes' (Asclepiodotus, Techne Tactica, Book 7.3, from whom we get the earliest treatise on tactics of Greek warfare before the 1st century B.C.) I'll get to much of this. Diodorus clearly states what the underlying entailment of Philip's tactics were (the veritable 'hammer and anvil' maneuver), in describing Philip's military prowess in his first major battle:

Diodorus, Bibliotheca Historica, Book 16.4.5,

"...Philip, commanding the right wing, which consisted of the flower of the Macedonians serving under him, ordered his cavalry to ride past the ranks of the barbarians and attack them on the flank, while he himself falling on the enemy in a frontal assault began bitter combat..."

Demosthenes, On the Chersonese, Speech 11, c. 342 B.C.

"For I need not tell you that Philip owes his successes to nothing in the world more than to his being the first in the field. For the man who always keeps a standing army by him, and who knows beforehand what he wants to do, is ready in an instant for anyone that he chooses to attack..."

Demosthenes, Third Philippic, Speech 47, c. 341 B.C.

"…while practically all the arts have made a great advance and we are living today in a very different world from the old one, I consider that nothing has been more revolutionized and improved than the art of war."

Demosthenes, Third Philippic, Speech 49, c. 341 B.C.

"...most disasters are due to traitors, and none are the result of a regular pitched battle. On the other hand you hear of Philip marching unchecked, not because he leads a phalanx of heavy infantry, but because he is accompanied by skirmishers, cavalry, archers, mercenaries, and similar troops."

On whole, we see scattered data expressed by Demosthenes illustrating that by 340 B.C. Philip had developed a standing army which included the tactical use of diverse units which could be coordinated on the battlefield, pivoting on the phalanx as the tactical base of variegated action of the specialized functions of each arm (that this was not eulogistic on the part of Demosthenes doesn't diminish whatsoever the capacity of the of the army he is describing), not to mention a developing siege train which included new advances in artillery equipment and methods.

Part of Philip's military innovations was the creation of a standing force of infantry out of native materials, hitherto a comparative weak arm in Macedon. But all this alone wouldn't suffice - it took superior fighting skills within that tandem along with a supreme engineer of its potential. This is where the intense drill administered into his troops by Philip, as soon as he gained the reins of power, come into effect. Hence, on the plain at Chaeronea, although deprived of the variable to flank the army of the Greek coalition, it is inconceivable that the upcoming occurred, other than bloody:
…a bloody infantry slugging match that Philip and Alexander finally won…
The Greek line was deployed obliquely with the Athenians, on the left, ascended along higher ground and thrust forward. Both flanks were secure, abundant water supply for both ensured, and communications to the south solid. Philip could win this only through subtlety.

To cite a tactical example, this wasn't at all akin to the Battle of Coronea, fought in 394 B.C. amid the Corinthian War, which involved some Theban hoplites bursting through their Spartan enemies in a 'forward retreat' (Xenophon, Hellenica, Book 4.3.19), not unlike, though much less numerous, than the 'forward retreat' of the 10,000 or so Roman legionnaires against Hannibal at the River Trebbia, fought in 218 B.C. Philip II rethought his army, state, and foreign policy with a means far removed from the 'hoplite slugfests'. He devised the phalanx to be a veritable human mobile fortress - a stable base from which his other arms, primarily his cavalry, delivered tactical offensives. The phalangitae ('phalangites') of his devised phalanx were not geared to fight at close quarters individually, but rather drilled to act in unison to a higher degree than previous hoplite tactics, the main advantage in that their sarissai could keep hoplites in check: drawn up sarissai in close order presented a wider killing zone with a dense array of spear-points impenetrable for an enemy to breach. But it couldn't be just ignored, thus the enemy had to try to fight it. Moreover, Philip anchored his strike arm, the hetairoi, to the phalanx with the specialized hypaspistai (singular for hypaspist, a term probably applied later, but it seems not their basic function), elite infantrymen who were basically a cross between a hoplite and a peltast. With that said, however, he certainly envisioned flexibility and balance to face multiple strategic and tactical challenges.

In a conventional hoplite manner, the sarissa would otherwise not only be useless, but counter-productive. It was unsuited for sieges, ambushes, mountaineering action, urban clashes, and skirmishing. Philip defeated the Illyrian enemy infantry in a defensive formation with cavalry as a striking arm, but not from striking upon their front as being the paramount assault - this is where some proponents of the 'no Macedonian cavalry at Chaeronea' argue from the wrong angle, in that they stress that cavalry could never break a steady infantry line, which is quite true. Philip used the wedge formation, and 'gaps' opened up at Chaeronea, where he had 2,000 of his cavalry. However, not every situation is the same, and here Philip was prepared to rely less on the cavalry, as this point in Boeotia didn't afford what those he fought on in Thessaly (he led 3,000 cavalry with 20,000 infantry at the Crocus Plain, a proportion more prominent with cavalry) and Dobruja did, as well as more difficult lines to keep open. As was a feature of the grand tactical maneuvering of Hannibal over a century later, Philip designed his cavalry tactics to effectuate strikes against infantry flanks and rear, hence his introduction of the wedge formation into his cavalry doctrine; think of the gaps opening up in the allied line mentioned by Diodorus, whose account is based on points of fact; it is the brevity, not inaccuracy, of our lone continuous narrative on Chaeronea which causes the equivocal problem. But tenable scenarios can and have been constructed. For example, Diodorus, who didn’t know he would survive and the voluminous works from which he drew on eventually would not, tells us of the longevity of the fight before a tipping point favored the Macedonians, hence Philip's stratagem wasn't necessarily expected to be paramount from the beginning. Very likely, initial harassing measures were attempted with his hypaspistai and lighter cavalry etc., meant to entice the allied right down before his battle line, came to no effect, other than getting them 'hotfooted'.

The sarissai Philip provided for his phalangitae were their primary weapons to stymie an enemy in front from responding effectively to his striking units pivoting around his phalanx. But it's even more flexible than that, with a variety of battle contingents in mind. Though no details survive, other than the raw fact that Philip did defeat the Scythians of Dobruja in 339 B.C. (or the Saka tyaiy Paradraya, the Scythians of 'Europe; Skudra to the Achaemenid rulers who held some previous sway here); Justin, Historiarum Philippicarum Libri XLIV, Book 9.2, and an anecdote from Sextus Julius Frontinus, Strategemata, Book 2.8.14), it can be inferred that he did so with an amalgam of infantry and cavalry. Somehow he compelled the Scythians, who fought mainly as horse archers, to stand and fight rather than move with their mobile methods they thrived on, probably exploiting probably the topography and perhaps some strategic guile (Justin mentions his 'subtlety' in defeating them, for whatever that's worth), as he did to the 10,000 Athenian led mercenaries the following year at the Pass of Gravia.

Justin, Historiarum Philippicarum Libri XLIV, Book 9.2,

"...Philip...broke up the siege of Byzantium, and entered upon a war with the Scythians, first sending ambassadors to lull them into security, by telling Atheas that 'while he was besieging Byzantium, he had vowed a statue to Hercules, which he was going to erect at the mouth of the Ister [the Danube], requesting an unobstructed passage to pay his vow to the god, since he was coming as a friend to the Scythians.' Atheas desired him, 'if his object was merely to fulfill his vow, to let the statue be sent to him,' promising that 'it should not only be erected, but should remain uninjured,' but refusing 'to allow an army to enter his territories,' and adding that, 'if he should set up the statue in spite of the Scythians, he would take it down when he was gone, and turn the brass of it into heads for arrows.' With feelings thus irritated on both sides, a battle was fought. Though the Scythians were superior in courage and numbers, they were defeated by the subtlety of Philip. 20,000 young men and women were taken, and a vast number of cattle, but no gold or silver. This was the first proof which they had of the poverty of Scythia. 20,000 fine mares were sent into Macedonia to raise a breed..."

That we read from Justin that Philip was 'subtle', effectively 'luring them into security' somewhat correlates with one of the suggested methods in facing the 'Scythians' in the famous Byzantine military manual of the late 6th century A.D., the Strategicon of Maurice; to the Byzantines of the 6th century, the reference to the 'Scythians' denotes more broadly the various nomadic tribes north of the Black Sea and through to the central Asian steppes whom they were aware of. Notably, the Avars were arriving on the Danube by this time. However, Justin's comment that the Scythians were superior in 'courage' to Philip (numbers, yes) cannot be blatantly true, relatively, given the supreme valor of the Macedonian army by this time (see the footnotes on pg. 153 of Robert E Gaebel's fine Cavalry Operations in the Ancient Greek World).

Frontinus, Stratagemata, Book 2.8.14,

"Philip, on one occasion, fearing that his troops would not withstand the onset of the Scythians, stationed the trustiest of his cavalry in the rear, and commanded them to permit no one of their comrades to quit the battle, but to kill them if they persisted in retreating. This proclamation induced even the most timid to prefer to be killed by the enemy rather than by their own comrades, and enabled Philip to win the day"

At the risk on my part of 'picking and choosing', Frontinus perhaps misunderstood, or purposely misrepresented. a tactical condition undertaken by Philip to fit into his chapter on 'restoring morale and firmness'. Remember, the imperfections of the writers of the 'stratagem genre' (Frontinus, Hermogenes, Polyaenus, Clement of Alexandria, and Julius Africanus) do not necessarily reflect historical fiction with their examples of past generals' actions they provided to illustrate their didactic examples; how they presented them as models of a categorized chapter may not be fully based on fact, but we can extract some of their snippets amid their probable historical inaccuracies to extrapolate a veracious scenario (still not concrete, though). Here with Frontinus, his overlying reason for the example of Philip's battle dispositions appears too far removed from Philip's ultra-harmonious relations with his men (after all, right after this event, they forsook all their spoils from this successful campaign to get him to safety after he had been seriously injured against a clash with the Thracian Triballi), but there's no reason to discard the tactical arrangement as described by Frontinus, just as Polyaenus' clues to Philip's tactics at Chaeronea do not lack credibility, though absent from the only continuous narrative on the great battle, but very general, narrative from Diodorus.

Philip's arranging of his cavalry behind his infantry to face the Scythians can again be equated to another viable tactic presented in the Strategikon, in which it suggests when facing 'Scythian nations' in battle, a tactical mixture of infantry and cavalry, with the cavalry placed behind the infantry, should be carried out. The Strategicon is commonly considered the premier treatise on combined-arms approach to war before the modern age. Thus this is sharply applicable to what we briefly read about Philip's engagement with the Scythians, which we know he won. Hypothetically, Philip's wide and deep advancing battalions of pezhetairoi, which could deflect missiles with the various angles of sarissai being held by the rear ranks (from the fifth of sixth rank back)over the front ranks (though this would hardly be like a solid kevlar umbrella!) ranks would be supported by auxiliary specialists both defending the vulnerable points of the mobile fortresses and applying pressure on the Scythians, giving the horse-archers little recourse. Philip somehow must have been able to compel on them a fight on terrain which diminished their mobility, perhaps at some point rupturing their circle of archery fire with swift shock action (cavalry against cavalry) piecemeal, presuming they carried that very tactic of theirs out; whatever truly occurred, his tactics brought them to bay. It can be assumed many Scythians simply rode away in controlled flight. It is no coincidence that, eleven years later, Alexander employed a tactical coordination of various troop types to defeat a Scythian force on the banks of the Jaxartes (Tanais) River, in which the descriptions from Arrian (Anabasis Alexandri, Book 4.4) and Quintus Curtius Rufus, (Historiae Alexandri Magni, Book 7.9) reveal a mastery of combined arms (see also John Fuller, The Generalship of Alexander the Great, Pgs. 236-241). It must be kept in mind, of course, that though the concept is analogous, the enemies described by the Byzantines were not exactly the same as those Philip faced over nine centuries earlier. But the term 'Scythian' remained, albeit more generically placed.

Maurice's Strategikon, Book 11.2, Dealing with the Scythians, That is, Avars, Turks, and Others Whose Way of Life Resembles That of the Hunnish Peoples, Pgs. 117-118 (translated edition by George T. Dennis, 1984), Pgs. 117-118

"…They are fickle…in the event of battle, when opposed by an infantry force in close formation, they stay in their horse and do not dismount, for they do not last long fighting on foot…Level, unobstructed ground should be chosen, and a cavalry force should advance against them in a dense, unbroken mass to engage them in hand-to-hand fighting…If an infantry force is present [that which is opposing the 'Scythians'], it should be stationed in the front line in the customary manner of the nation to which it belongs. The force should be drawn up according to the method…with the cavalry posted behind the infantry…Post a numerous and capable force on the flanks…"

The first judgment reflects the same political bias Ammianus Marcellinus displayed in describing the Huns, but aside from that, we are availed good data here; such tactical potentialities would have been perfectly suited to Philip's army in 340 B.C., greatly enhanced with his fertile military mind at the helm. Revising Frontinus and Justin, coupled with the snippets from the Strategikon on how to fight the 'Scythians', we are availed a cogent hypothesis, and we know he defeated the Scythians handily.

Above: Scythian warriors characteristic of the 4th century B.C. (Alexander the Great at War, edited by Ruth Sheppard, Pg. 180).

Regarding the almost certain controlled retirement that Philip effected to break the articulation of the enemy phalanxes of the Greek coalition's army at Chaeronea, hence the Macedonian left was able to exploit the gaps which began to occur in the Greek ranks (remember, Philip's battle line was refused with his own wing thrust forward, and the Greeks' alignment was also en echelon with their left thrust forward. Thus Philip and the Athenians, hypothetically, came into contact with each other before those did on the other two sides of each side. Moreover, something to think about it - Diodorus neither mentions the word 'cavalry' in his few sentences concerning Pelopidas' tactical victory over Alexander of Pherae in 364 B.C., yet we know the cavalry were there. We'll get to that):
...Umm no or at best that what might of could of happened but it requires an assumption of brilliance by Philip and ignorance by the Greeks…
Fiddlesticks. Literally, Philip was indeed brilliant and the Greeks ignorant to what he was devising, but trying to sell that they were 'stupid', thus coming across 'presumptuous' on the 'apologist of Philip' is a misrepresentation - a twisting forensic tactic the likes of Demosthenes may use with his skillful way with words. What 'it' requires is merely the simple understanding of part of what Diodorus flatly states (Bibliotheca Historica, Book 16.85) - something indubitable: Philip II had the advantage in generalship, as well as a more seasoned force; if any of the 10,000 or so Athenians, of which about 6,000 were hoplites, had any battle experience, it would have been a small amount among the mercenaries swiftly mauled by Philip while under the command of the Athenian-backed pretender Argaeus (Phocion was not here, hence his small elite force which saw action in Euboea and Megara may or may not have been at Chaeronea; if they were, their impact may have helped, presumably, in keeping the Athenians standing fast in the face of Philip's probable and initial attempts to entice them from their stout position), over two decades prior in 359 B.C. (Bibliotheca Historica, Book 16.3), and, more so in the case of set battle experience, those who fought three years before at Mantinea against Epaminondas, where about 6,000 Athenian hoplites were present. Chares and Charidemus were sent mercenary troops (what and whom they already commanded is unknown) in the Chalcidice and Chersonese, respectively, within 349-348 B.C. (2,000 peltastai to Chares with 30 ships, 4,000 peltastai and 150 cavalry to the latter with 18 ships) - all peltastai, revealed in the works of the famed atthidographer Philochorus (Felix Jacoby, Die Fragmente der Griechischen Historiker, Ch. 328 Fr. 49-50; a partial and brief mention occurs in Diodorus, Book 52.9). On the same events, Demosthenes voiced that the 4,000 troops were 'citizen troops' among '10,000 mercenaries' (instead of the 6,000) etc sent to the Chalcidice (On the False Embassy, Speech 266). Chares' troops who were victorious under him on land six years earlier in Phrygia were almost entirely mercenaries, and Demosthenes, in presenting his First Philippic (351 B.C.), in reference to mustering citizen troops to oppose Philip, only 2,050 Athenians are proposed (Speech 21).

Above: A cavalryman of the prodromoi, or 'Scouts' (alternatively termed sarissophoroi, or 'Lancers', who wielded a slightly longer cavalry lance than the xyston of the Companion Cavalry, though this image doesn't help in gauging that aspect). The social and local origin of the prodromoi is unknown. Perhaps they were drawn from the least affluent of the Macedonian gentry, if so most likely Upper Macedonia (cf. Guy Griffith, A History of Macedonia, Volume II, Pg. 412). They disappear from historical record as of 330 B.C. The two men on foot in the image are a couple of Foot Companions (presumably) in hunting fatigues (Sheppard, Pg. 108).

Diodorus' claim that Philip had the advantage in numbers at Chaeronea probably reflects the source material (all of which he seemingly followed and compressed uncritically) on this section of Philip's career, that of the Athenian historian Diyllus, probably a bias source favoring Athens (cf. Nicholas Hammond, Studies In Greek History: A Companion Volume to A History of Greece to 322 B.C., Pg. 536; but certainty should never be pressed). This is contradicted by Justin (Historiarum Philippicarum Libri XLIV, Book 9.3), who epitomized Gnaeus Pompeius Trogus, a major source for Philip II, thus his title Historiae Philippicae, which consisted of 44 books. Trogus, it seems, followed the works of Theopompus, whose historical work was centered around Philip II (the Philippica needed to be abridged from 58 to 16 books by Philip V of Macedon a few generations later, in order to remove the content not involving Macedon).

The allies (mainly one of Thebes and Athens) were content with a stout blocking position, with their phalanxes on higher ground with flanks and rear secure by natural obstacles. Thus the only way for Philip to win was to breach the articulation of their battle line: enticing them off and rendering them enfiladed, with his drilled army to carry out a balanced tactical strategy, is more than sensible. Diodorus' undetailed account necessitates revision (mainly filling in some gaps, forgive the pun!), however conservative one wishes to be about it.

There were no serious defects, let alone any ineptitude, displayed by the Greek coalition which faced Philip at the onset of the battle. They were guilty merely of not being under the command of a single authority, a handicap under these conditions against a martially ingenious monarch. Apart from his mastery as a general and the supreme capacity of his army, Philip possessed an astuteness on human nature which aided all his successes. In the final campaign, he knew that a mixed yet combined force of citizens from two large and several small Greek states, to which mercenaries were added, was very unlikely going to be under the tight control of a command structure that could match his, hence almost surely not going to exercise equal caution and foresight with the tactics to stop him (their field strategy was adeptly carried out, but with no significant adaptive recourse). Phocion and Timoleon were not here, and Chares had proven his prior inability to cooperate viably with other generals. Moreover, Demosthenes himself implied a lack of good generalship on the battlefield at Chaeronea (On the Crown, Speeches 94 and 245. However, the newly discovered Hyperides speeches, revealed that this prominent Attic orator defied some of his colleagues in the Assembly, particularly those who sanctioned the execution of Lysicles, the Athenian general at Chaeronea:

Hyperides, in defending the loss as Chaeronea, revealed besmirched in the famous Archimedes Palimpsest in the 2006 findings,

"For we chose the noblest policy and we believed it necessary to free the Greeks by taking on the risks ourselves, just like before...

...One must assign the start and the suggestion of every risk to those who make the motion, but the outcome of these things is to be assigned to chance...

...Diondas proposes the opposite happened: not that Demosthenes be praised for his policy but that I give a defense because of chance..."

Thus his audience hears the historically common line of defense for a military failure with 'chance' and 'circumstance', which is never actually without merit, and in this case effulgent when delivered by a forensic artist.

The result of the Battle of Chaeronea, one of unquestioned decisiveness (Lysicles was executed for the loss, and the stipulations of the upcoming League of Corinth were imposed to Philip's likening due to the battle's result), shows that the Athenians didn't remain where they were initially deployed. The 'rupture of the solid Boeotian front', to their right, described by Diodorus, can only have come from the superior sarissai armed Macedonian infantry (in tactical unity) against the Boeotian hoplites formed en echelon, perhaps deeper in the Theban tradition (though probably not 25 deep, as they needed a high degree of extension); Plutarch tells us of the fate of the Theban Sacred Band, that 'the 300 were lying, all where they had faced the long spears of his [Philip's] phalanx'. Of course, one can be cynical and try to claim that a 'phalanx' could signify a generic battle line and not necessarily the close order infantrymen (cf. the untenable proclamation, specifically, in the otherwise fine thought-provoking articles by Minor M. Markle III). But here that would be untenable, IMHO; the Macedonian phalanx, devised by Philip II, contains no other definition than that of a compact order of infantrymen constituting a mobile fortress, serving as the stable base of the offensive pivot and maneuver for his cavalry and lighter troops (Demosthenes said he even used archers).

Above: the plain of Chaeronea looking directly east at Mt. Parnassus. No major silting of the ground has occurred since, thus this photograph shows the viability for cavalry maneuvering on the battlefield 2,347 years ago. The image comes from livius.org.

Again, great site for Alexander!

Continued...

James :)
Last edited by Spartan JKM on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartan JKM

Re: Philip II of Macedon: Sent by Apollo

Post by Spartan JKM »

Continuation (Part 2)...

Minor M. Markle III, Use of the Sarissa by Philip and Alexander of Macedon (American Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 82, No. 4, Autumn, 1978),

"…Diodorus' words offer insufficient support for the theory that Philip was the first to arm the Macedonian infantry with the long lance, chiefly because of the ambiguity of the term 'phalanx'. This noun is used from Homer onwards to denote any line of battle, especially the hoplite formation but also the front formed by cavalry…"

This is not very sustainable by Markle, who offers no theory of his own as to whom did arm the Macedonian infantry with the 'long lance'. There can be practically no doubt that when Diodoros writes 'Macedonian phalanx' he is referring to the phalanx armed with sarissai. I feel no ancient reader would have been left in any confusion about what 'sort of phalanx' Diodoros was discussing. The fact that Polybius, writing a little over a century earlier, titled his essay concerning the strengths and liabilities of the 'phalanx' against the legion simply as Advantages and Disadvantages of the Phalanx in his title (the Histories, Book 18.28), not Advantages and Disadvantages of the Sarissa-Armed Phalanx, bears this out. If one feels there remains any obscurity, one can look at Diodorus' words centered around 'devised':

Diodorus, Bibliotheca Historica, Book 16.3.1-2,

"...[Philip] having improved the organization of his forces and equipped the men suitably with weapons of war, he held constant maneuvers of the men under arms and competitive drills. Indeed he devised the compact order and the equipment of the phalanx, imitating the close order fighting with overlapping shields of the warriors at Troy, and was the first to organize the Macedonian phalanx..."

If Philip's phalangitae were even a little different in mechanics than basic hoplites, even the abridging Diodorus (for Book 16, particularly) would not have written 'devised' in relation to Philip's 'compact order and equipment'; Diodorus was certainly referring to the phalanx armed with sarissai of Philip's time. The 'appropriate weapons of war' which required 'constant maneuvers and drill' could be nothing other than the new sarissai, more appropriate now for tackling the various and tough Illyrians in 'compact order', who probably weren't armed exactly like Greek hoplites either, but possibly wielded longer spears than the basic dory; the Macedones were often defeated by Illyrians before Philip II, who held sway over much of Upper Macedonia at the time of Philip's accession in 359 B.C.

Markle, Use of the Sarissa by Philip and Alexander of Macedon,

"...I have examined all the evidence for the sarissa and its concomitant small target, both their specifications and use in battle, and I have proved that the Macedonians continued to use the hoplite panoply..."

Markle's articles don't mention the Amphipolis Decree, which states anything regarding equipment similar to hoplite panoply only to officers. We'll get to that, too.

Markle, Use of the Sarissa by Philip and Alexander of Macedon,

"...Cavalry was first employed as an assault force against the flanks of a hoplite phalanx by Pelopidas against Alexander of Pherae at Cynoscephalae in 364, and Epaminondas, having deployed his cavalry on both wings with the oblique phalanx of his hoplites in the center, ordered his horse to charge the enemy hoplites in flanks and rear at Mantinea in 362. Philip was obviously indebted to both Pelopidas and Epaminondas for his use of cavalry in 358, and the Illyrians were prepared for such tactics, for, threatened with an attack of horse on their flanks, they formed themselves into a square (Diod. 16.4. 6). There seem to have been no surprises in this battle, certainly no indication of the use of any new infantry tactics..."

I beg to differ with Markle, despite his overall values and cogent style. In Philip's first major battle being referred to, The Illyrian army was wiped out by 70%, and I seriously doubt that the 3,000 survivors would have agreed with Markle's verdict, either - that nothing new was seen in this battle. Philip certainly had an education, but the Dardanian king and his tough warriors, even if somewhat apprised by any Greek linguists from the more southerly regions of Greece on the nature of oblique formations and their appended cavalry tactics etc., used at battles fought the previous decade, it would have been nothing more to them than mere academics; why did Bardylis form his army into a square, a defensive measure, Markle could have further asked himself. The answer lay not in being that they were prepared for 'such tactics' of coordinated cavalry and infantry, but more likely the opposite, a response to what he suddenly noticed - something strikingly novel and threatening manifest in the arms of this new Macedonian army, under their new king. After all, the Illyrians are described as confident of victory, further indicated by the fact they didn’t dispose themselves with lines of retreat. Yet as the battle commenced they undertook a defensive measure. Certainly, a New Model Army of Macedon, under a new and innovative-thinking monarch, had germinated in the year 359 B.C. The unforeseen greatness of Macedon had dawned.

Neither Epaminondas nor Pelopidas ever took up a challenge to assault an infantry square of hoplites, let alone smite, pierce a side of, and then stove in the breach with the use of a tactical concert of spearheading infantry followed by cavalry (the latter perhaps wedge-formed, even this early). Not even close.

At Cynoscephalae in the summer of 364 B.C. (fought near the modern village of Bekhides, in the prefecture of Magnesia, Thessaly), Pelopidas showed his mettle as a tactician, when he squared off and bested the Thessalian tyrant Alexander of Pherae, who led a powerful army. But the aforementioned comparison with this tactical victory by Markle with Philip's victory over the Illyrians is misleading (though no tactical situations are ever intrinsically the same), in the sense that Pelopidas presaged anything Philip achieved in his victory over the Illyrians. Interestingly, and to reiterate more fully, Diodorus (Bibliotheca Historica, Book 15.80.) writes nothing of any 'cavalry' with Pelopidas, apprising us in a factual but very general few sentences, without specifics regarding arms and tactics - much like with his piece on Chaeronea. Yet nobody would ever claim that Pelopidas' cavalry were not instrumental in this battle against the tyrant Alexander of Pherae, primarily not only because common sense dictates that Pelopidas wouldn’t have not planned on making use of his cavalry, an arm he had used with success (just like Philip had leading up to Chaeronea), but that Plutarch provides a more thorough account in which he makes the cavalry issue very clear. But Philip II of Macedon was not one of Plutarch's choices for his Lives, hence his own comments on Chaeronea, never mentioning Philip's cavalry, were merely passing comments amid works dealing with another topic.

Pelopidas' tactical conduct was improvised in the face of an unexpected encounter, which saw Alexander gaining a ridge in a solid position, as his rear and right (he was facing south) were protected by the steep banks of the Karamatlis River and the high ground of the ridge; his left was not protected by nature, but he was in a superb defensive position, and in front of him lay opened land conducive to a downhill grade for attacking if need be. After Pelopidas' cavalry swept away and pursued the enemy cavalry, Plutarch tells us that Alexander at first beat back Pelopidas' allied Thessalian infantry attacks, to which Pelopidas called back his pursuing horse - hardly a simple task amid battle - and ordered them to 'charge upon the enemy infantry where it still held together' - clearly, though not stated, when they returned here to the main fight. Right after he sent the herald to recall his cavalry (he obviously didn't wait for them, though not specified), Pelopidas, intrepidly coming 'with his shield' to the front-line himself, attacked Alexander of Pherae's positions uphill himself, yet still was thrown back after a few initial charges; but the combination of Pelopidas' vigor, which was overtly affecting the spirit of his men, and the sight of the returning cavalry, Alexander and his men retired 'step by step', in answer to which Pelopidas crested the hill. Plutarch continues,

"…Pelopidas, looking down from the heights and seeing that the whole army of the enemy, though not yet put to flight, was already becoming full of tumult and confusion, stood and looked about him in search of Alexander. And when he saw him on the right wing, marshaling and encouraging his mercenaries, he could not subject his anger to his judgment, but, inflamed at the sight, and surrendering himself and his conduct of the enterprise to his passion, he sprang out far in front of the rest and rushed with challenging cries upon the tyrant. He, however, did not receive nor await the onset, but fled back to his guards and hid himself among them. The foremost of the mercenaries, coming to close quarters with Pelopidas, were beaten back by him; some also were smitten and slain; but most of them fought at longer range, thrusting their spears through his armor and covering him with wounds, until the Thessalians, in distress for his safety, ran down from the hills, when he had already fallen, and the cavalry, charging up, routed the entire phalanx of the enemy, and following on a great distance in pursuit, filled the country with their dead bodies, slaying more than 3,000 of them..."

This is almost certainly not entirely objective on the part of the famous native of Chaeronea, but we get a very good gist here: we see an admirable control of integrated infantry and cavalry. But in interpreting that the cavalry 'charged up and routed the entire phalanx' (certainly an exaggeration, if taken as a cavalry rout of Boetion cavalry over mercenary hoplites at the ready), they didn't 'come up' the ridge and do so at the top; they were already ascended and 'charged up' to the point where the battle was being waged. Thus cavalry did not appear until a point when Pelopidas' body was being extricated, thus after the foremost of the mercenaries had been beaten back. Alexander of Pherae had not rallied his men fully before Pelopidas charged upon him, which he did speedily as he saw them in a tumultuous and confused state (ie, they were noisily disorganized). The comment by Plutarch in reference to most of Alexander's men fighting 'at longer range, thrusting their spears through his armor' is quite obscure: how could they thrust their spears through Pelopidas' armor, even if meant metaphorically, at 'longer range'? Did Plutarch err with these words, or perhaps did a translation do so, meaning to state hurled rather than thrust (a few translations read the same way)? Go figure. In my opinion, the rout of Alexander of Pherae's infantry by the Boeotian cavalry and their allies unraveled as it did because the former were unaligned with many already retiring. It seems, however, Alexander of Pherae's left flank was assailable without an attacker impeded by natural obstacles (see John Buckler, The Theban Hegemony, Pgs. 175-182, for an overall outstanding analyses on this clash; but, in my opinion, not entirely convincing in his statement that Pelopidas' cavalry blow 'adumbrates the tactics of Alexander the Great at Issus and Gaugamela', if not only in regards to cavalry pursuit), hence Markle cannot be totally dismissed in his claim that Pelopidas used his cavalry as an assault force on the flanks (though not plural) of hoplite infantry here. But nothing in what I deem (thus subjectivity) a revisionist hypothesis of Plutarch's account, our lone fundamental one for this fascinating clash, evinces that Pelopidas' cavalry struck at Alexander of Pherae’s left phalanx. It seems almost certain that they arrived to the fight after they ascended the ridge, now devoid of enemy soldiers, and only after Pelopidas had fallen, and with Alexander, probably, in retreat. Regardless, Pelopidas' tactical management of both arms was clearly superb, and only his heroic death is what rendered this battle a strategic victory for Alexander of Pherae. But the tactical victory wasn't effectuated with the same scientific mastery of the two coordinated arms that Philip II showed in his first battle. Pelopidas' tactics at Cynoscephalae were more impromptu and against an opponent who didn't display such a high degree of stalwartness. I do not press this though. The evolutionary use of combined arms of foot and horse was becoming increasingly novel and imaginary by these times, and the two Theban greats surely impressed upon Philip II. Markle is correct about that, intrinsically speaking.

In the preliminaries leading up to the Battle of Mantinea two years later, an Athenian cavalry force, surely the hippeus (hippeis seems a more generic term for Greek cavalry), and whom had just defeated some Corinthians, impressively bested a mounted force of Thebans and Thessalians, sent ahead of Epaminondas' main army along the road from Tegea towards Mantinea. Moreover, in the main battle, the Athenian hoplites repulsed a flanking movement upon their right side (the Athenians occupied the left side of the allied army against Epaminondas) by Epaminondas' hamippoi (lightly armed infantry specifically trained to fight alongside cavalry) and peltastai, once the latter’s cavalry were pursuing the Spartan horsemen. Epaminondas did not attack any enemy infantry at Mantinea from flank and rear with his horse; it was an integration of horse and foot on his part which defeated the enemy cavalry. The account from Xenophon has some holes, but what happened was that Epaminondas' victorious cavalry, after they had about-faced in their pursuit of the fleeing enemy horse and Epaminondas had fallen in battle, they were heading back and happened to pass 'through' enemy fleeing hoplites! It’s possible the Boeotian horse were in this position - directly behind the enemy line - because they had circumvented them or perhaps had actually ridden through the Spartan phalanx itself, who had possibly opened up gaps in their own ranks (as at the irregular clash at Tegyra against Pelopidas thirteen years prior) to allow their defeated cavalry to withdraw.

Xenophon tells us that they 'did not pursue and kill either horsemen or hoplites', and 'slipped back timorously, like beaten men, through the lines of the flying enemy'. However leery we should be when reading Xenophon's accounts of reverses of those he didn't like, if the Boetion cavalry attacked the enemy hoplites in flank or rear, we would at least get a glimmer of that reflection. There's nothing, and no reason to assume they would (unlike with Philip's usage of his various arms he had built up leading up to the clash on the plain of Chaeronea. Markle doesn't seem to have caught on to this, however intrinsically peculiar it may read. They didn't appear to assault the flanks and rear of the enemy foot at all, let alone in a concerted manner with their infantry and cavalry as Philip II purposed and succeeded with. Regardless, all this reveals the capacity of the two great Theban generals in their imaginative generalship, as well as the tactical capabilities of the Boeotian horsemen when inspiringly led.
…The sources do place Alexander on the Macedonia left. In charge well maybe, but Diodorus does provide the note that he was accompanied by Philips most trusted generals (presumable Parmenion and/or Antipater). Did a young Alex pick the moment to attack or perhaps a slight nod from Parmenion. Alexander did become the ‘the Great’ but at Chaeronea he was just ‘the kid’ and one whose position as heir was not all that stable.

The real point is that no source mentions cavalry at all, period. No charges, flanking etc…
I agree that the more seasoned generals of Philip's were probably in direct command of the Macedonian left more so than Alexander was, but perhaps giving even less a nod to the Prince. But this continued nonsense, forgive me, ending with this proposed real point…period is indicative of forensic tactics (though one who disagrees with me could lay the same judgment on myself; opinion is not something that can be proven 'false', hence people will argue with anything they wish to).

We are not told if either Philip or Alexander were on foot or horse at Chaeronea, or any tactical thinking on either side by any surviving source who wrote a continuous narrative on this. If we had Hieronymus or Polybius giving us a seven chapter analysis on the battle (as Polybius does with his terrific account of the Battle of Mantinea, the one fought in 207 B.C.), and on top of that scenario nothing of cavalry is mentioned, then we 'supporters of the cavalry aspect' here at Chaeronea would have no footing. Reading Diodorus, whose imperfection lay more in his brevity than that he actually wrote anything not factual (for the most part), does provide us that Alexander 'first succeeded in rupturing the solid front of the enemy line', then 'gaps in the front were constantly opened', then subsequently 'forced his way through the line and put his opponents to flight'. Cavalry could not have executed the former occurrence, and sarissai armed phalangitae, after rupturing the solid front of the enemy line, could not carry out close, individual combat, once the gaps opened, and put Boeotian hoplites to flight, who weren't handicapped by a near cul-de-sac the Athenians were, when they were pushed back down (a slight decline) into the valley of the Haemon in the face of Philip's counter-charge. Light infantry and the 'picked men' (doubtless the the hypaspistai) must be considered amid the whole 'cavalry argument', in that they may have been involved in the amalgam of breaches of the enemy lines.

The above depiction comes from Ryan Jones' superb compilation

The initial battle formation by the Macedonian phalanx was perhaps just ten ranks deep, hence the term decad (the use of sixteen ranks deep doesn't appear in the literature until 324 B.C.), being they were stretched along their whole line taking into consideration their numerical strength (about 24,000 phalangitae), with their left angled away; the Boeotians, themselves equal in number to the part of the Macedonian left phalanx (about 10,000 each; forgive the convenient 'myriad') before them, may have been deployed deeper than their enemy, if tradition held (this was a blocking position, after all). Boeotian hoplites would have excelled at shield against shield, and if the Macedonians 'forced their way through', they almost certainly couldn't have been exclusively phalangitae, whose job was done once the Boeotian front was 'ruptured and gaps opened up'. The comment from Diodorus which explains the gaps reads, 'the same success was won by his companions'; this cannot be cavalry either, as, aside from the fact that companions could be generic in this context, it was the same success causing the rupture of the solid front (the Greek term 'εταιροι', which is indeed hetairoi, does not appear in the Loeb Classical Library's translation of Diodorus' account on Chaeronea). The cavalry action from the Macedonians came through gaps, particularly the 'main' gap caused by the unconscious drift by the allied left (almost certainly they didn't realize everything going on around them) when they finally moved down and out hotfooted after Philip - following the part of the battle described as 'hotly contested for a long time and many fell on both sides'.

Demosthenes, On the Crown, Speech 237, 339 B.C., (for the sake of the pedantry regarding numbers),

"I made alliance for you with Euboeans, Achaeans, Corinthians, Thebans, Megarians, Leucadians, and Corcyraeans: and from those states there was assembled a foreign division of 15,000 infantry and 2,000 cavalry, not counting their citizen-soldiery."

This is corroborated by Plutarch (Life of Demosthenes, Ch. 17.3). 10,000 of the mercenaries were those circumvented by Parmenio at the Gravia Pass. In stating 'not counting their citizen-soldiery' in this enumeration, it can be inferred that some of them came to Chaeronea from the mentioned states; the infantry of the allies, including the Theban Sacred Band, perhaps commanded by Theagenes (cf. Plutarch, Life of Alexander, Ch. 12.5), but not other Boeotians, numbered perhaps over 15,000 men. Between them, Athens and Boeotia supplied some 20,000 men between them, with about another 15,000 supplied from the smaller allied states.

Moreover, for what it's worth, Alexander's record prior to this battle was auspicious enough for his father to give him a charge on the field, but that he was second in command, and, more so, the story of his 'upstaging the King', quite possibly belongs to a tradition advocating later good press for Alexander the Great.

Regarding Philip's decision to not to attempt to force Thermopylae in 352 B.C.:
…maybe he was facing a loosing battle – you still filling in from silence based on a prior assumption of Philip’s brilliance and Athenian ineptitude…
And you are often 'filling in' your assumptions of what you are so sure of what others assume. Philip didn't lose a battle at Thermopylae, nor was 'out-strategized'. He came, he saw, he retired. The move was a sound blocking move by the Athenians and other Greek hoplites, not only in getting there before Philip could, but further strengthened their trump card by having the fleet coming along offshore. The blocking at the Gravia Pass and Chaeronea Plain thirteen years later was a different matter, when Philip was entirely resolved to break into Boeotia. You're putting a twist on a condition to suit your belief - a condition which in reality far deeper than any condition all that 'silence' suggests. There was no contemporary silence; where did Arrian learn of Philip's introduction to the Macedonian cavalry of the wedge-formation? I can assure it was not from the sources responsible for all the 'silence'. Please don't attempt the 'where’s your proof' game. We're not splicing DNA here. How about you 'prove' we don't really live in a state of suspension, á la the Matrix.

Philip was effulgent in his magnetism and capacity to organize his growing power: by conductively utilizing his added resources, he built a specialized and intensely drilled army for the necessary tasks at hand - one constituent of the army drilled so well that it was capable of retiring backwards while keeping alignment and pinning his opponents armed with shorter weapons for close-order for enough time until he could counter-attack bearing down upon them, as utilized an eminence in the terrain, is testimony to that verdict. The Athenian contingent were hardly inept at all; they simply were not a standing army, and if there was a lochoi of epilektoi there, they helped only in delaying the defeat, perhaps with their experience and qualities not being goaded at first by the Macedonians. One of the greatest of all figures of antiquity apprises us:

Aristotle, Athenian Constitution, Ch. 42, c. 335 B.C.,

"The present form of the constitution is as follows. Citizenship belongs to persons of citizen parentage on both sides, and they are registered on the rolls of their demes at the age of eighteen. At the time of their registration the members of the deme make decision about them by vote on oath, first whether they are shown to have reached the lawful age, and if they are held not to be of age they go back again to the boys, and secondly whether the candidate is a freeman and of legitimate birth; after this, if the vote as to free status goes against him, he appeals to the jury-court, and the demesmen elect five men from among themselves to plead against him, and if it is decided that he has no claim to be registered, the state sells him, but if he wins, it is compulsory for the demesmen to register him.

After this the Council revises the list of persons that have been registered, and if anyone is found to be under eighteen years of age, it fines the demesmen that registered him. And when the cadets have been passed by this revision, their fathers hold meetings by tribes and after taking oath elect three members of the tribe of more than forty years of age, whom they think to be the best and most suitable to supervise the cadets, and from them the people elects by show of hands one of each tribe as disciplinary officer, and elects from the other citizens a marshal over them all.

These take the cadets in a body, and after first making a circuit of the temples then go to Peiraeus, and some of them garrison Munichia, others the Point [both near Peiraeus]. And the people also elects two athletic trainers and instructors for them, to teach them their drill as heavy-armed soldiers, and the use of the bow, the javelin and the sling. It also grants the disciplinary officers one drachma a head for rations, and the cadets four obols a head; and each disciplinary officer takes the pay of those of his own tribe and buys provisions for all in common (for they mess together by tribes), and looks after everything else.

They go on with this mode of life for the first year; in the following year an assembly is held in the theater, and the cadets give a display of drill before the people, and receive a shield and spear from the state; and they then serve on patrols in the country and are quartered at the guard-posts.

Their service on patrol goes on for two years; the uniform is a mantle; they are exempt from all taxes; and they are not allowed to be sued nor to sue at law, in order that they may have no pretext for absenting themselves, except in cases concerning estate, marriage of an heiress, and any priesthood that one of them may have inherited. When the two years are up, they now are members of the general body of citizens."

It doesn't seem that an ephebic (the epheboi were the youth of Attica between the ages of 15 and 20 trained for military service, among other things) institution was founded until around 335 B.C.; specifically, there appears no evidence for an Athenian military training institution before this time (though that doesn't mean it didn't exist prior, and there must have been a training regimen of some sort). The demoi were the territorial districts (comprising provincial trittyes - 'tribes'), which basically as constitutional subdivisions; there were 139 of them in Attica encompassing the city of Athens. In terms of soldiery, the process in Attica to develop quality soldiers was one of a limited process, with the cadets. They certainly had their elite corps, as every state did, but if there were a crack lochoi at Chaeronea, it clearly didn't matter in the face of Philip's tactics with his standing and supremely seasoned army.

These desperate attempts to downplay Philip II are, in my opinion, about as fanciful as those from this poster on issues regarding Hannibal. I understand though - you just don't like Philip, being a deep Athenian apologist (Catholics in Poland and Germany understandably degrade Gustav II of Sweden, as do Carolina and Georgia residents do William Sherman). That's fine per se, but not with so many prevarications, like 'Chares scored major victories over Philip in Asia'. It's somewhat akin to, say, the Park Avenue gentry being bested, circumstances not totally created by the victor notwithstanding, by a 'hillbilly' from provincial Kentucky or something. It's hard to accept, and quite a blow to a strong sense of pride. But please cut out your illusory nonsense (or don't; whatever toots your horn), on what constitutes others' assumptions. You constantly attack the straw man with so many prevarications ('Philip didn't exploit winged cavalry'; 'Chaeronea wasn't really that decisive'; 'the Trebbia was fought between just about equal numbers'; 'Hannibal didn't offer the Saguntines true terms'). Is that like stating a girl not being 'truly pregnant'?

Nobody has opined (superfluous to state, from whomever, opinion is something that cannot be proven false, thus people will argue with anything they wish to, including myself) anything suggesting Athenian 'ineptitude' at the battle of Chaeronea. One would think that you actually think they held out without decisively losing this conflict. Philip had to weigh his options, and attacking a sizable holding force at Thermopylae, despite his men brandishing longer pole-weapons than the enemy (in contrast to the Persians in 480 B.C., in their failed frontal assaults), was not something to do right now, if at all. He needed to solidify things in the north for now. Besides, you've put your foot in your mouth: if you think Philip was 'maybe facing a losing battle', you're argument there reeks of hypocrisy, in that you advocate the idea that his phalanx was engineered to 'break through' an enemy formation.

In the thread first cited from, I commented briefly on the evolution of Greek warfare from the late 5th to mid 4th century B.C. with a comment mentioning the reforms of Iphicrates, Epaminondas, and Philip II; this is the response:
…Arrgh! Come on now you just managed to ignore at least 40 if not 75 years worth of the use of such tactics by the Greeks – let not trot out the old paradigm of just 3 military reformers in all of the history of the classical period in Greece (Iphicrates, Epaminondas, and Philip)…
I didn't 'ignore' anything. That was not meant to be a treatise on my part. That was a pathetic misrepresentation. You think you're really clever with your smorgasbord of 'twists' and fancy (not to mention irascible) phraseology, don't you? But your attempts at one-upping others are often counter-productive. I was simply making a basic comment reflective of the evolutionary change in Greek warfare at the turn of the 5th to the 4th century B.C., alluding to three of the more famous exponents of the military reforms which manifested. Is there a language problem with you? Judging by your stock phrases amid your sophomoric parlance, it seems not. Try that again, and try the best you can to not only make clear what you're really saying, but what you're arguing from. Does that make sense?
…I guess you better use the ‘way back machine’ tell that to the Spartans – I’m sure they would right quick cough up Messenia and their hegemony over the Peloponnesian peninsula… That might have been true for small states in the archaic age, but its BS otherwise. What was the revolt of Mytilene about but attempt to control all of Lesbos, and then what?…
I…..don't believe I just read that. I guess 'you better' get off your high horse, and/or perhaps procure a bigger shovel. Where did you learn your manners, in a cesspool? The Spartan 'conquest' of Messina was almost certainly an intermittent struggle of raiding (including night raids, as that of Ampheia, in the beginning following cattle disputes which led to murder), bribery, ambushes, and border skirmishing lasting over seven decades - occurring during the Archaic Age (c. late 740s B.C. - c. early 660s B.C.). The two antagonists were not, comparatively, 'big states'. Spartan hegemony in the Peloponnese did not evolve due to the nature of hoplite warfare I basically described as what it did not entail - rapid and destructive offensives to capture vast swaths of enemy territory. Unlike the Achaemenid Persian Empire, the Greek warfare was more about winning battles (before Philip II), not wars to establish suzerainty and administration over vast swaths of subjected territory, which were then pretty much left self-ruling. Neither did the revolt of Mytilene, an oligarchic city on the Island of Lesbos. The revolt of Lesbos broke in 428 B.C., and carried seething embers before the war (Thucydides, The History of the Peloponnesian War, Book 3.2); the entire island revolted against Athens except Methymna, and indeed Mytilene, being an oligarchy and the most powerful city on the island, sought to gain the monopoly of control. But the culmination of Lesbian disaffection was primarily due to the realization of the islanders of the prevaricating Athenian claims of 'equity'; don't ever believe that Athens had any love for the truth or distaste for deceit, no more no less, than any other contemporary state. The Delian League had all the trappings of imperial power, and when the Athenian expedition to the Egyptian Delta was stymied by the Persians in 454 B.C., the Athenians found a convenient guise, albeit not altogether without merit, to move the treasures from Delphi to Athens, which actually facilitated the unprecedented surge of advanced cultural activity (the Golden Age). The now foreseeable complications became widespread. But, as with your other feeble attempt at refuting my general assessments, this has nothing to do with the nature of hoplite warfare - what it involved more than not.

Thucydides, The History of the Peloponnesian War, Book 1.15, in discussing the 'early times',

"…Wars by land there were none, none at least by which power was acquired; we have the usual border contests, but of distant expeditions with conquest for object we hear nothing among the Hellenes. There was no union of subject cities round a great state, no spontaneous combination of equals for confederate expeditions; what fighting there was consisted merely of local warfare between rival neighbors. The nearest approach to a coalition took place in the old war between Chalcis and Eretria; this was a quarrel in which the rest of the Hellenic name did to some extent take sides…"
…Philip started small, just like Athens Sparta and Thebes – the bigger Macedonia got, the bigger its ambitions and the more complex its military got. My original point was that in the end Philip pulled all the threads together, but aside from the sarissa everything else was a well know 'good thing’ to the Greeks. The simple fact is that hardly anyone could afford them.
Philip started comparatively small, but hardly 'like' the other two, both of whom never faced the threat when they 'started' as he did immediately upon his accession as the Macedonian king. In my opinion, it would be more appropriate to state 'the bigger the Macedonian Kingdom got'; Macedon was always Macedon, however distinct Upper may have been from Lower. But your comment is superficial, in that you're trying to suggest Philip's rise to power was 'no big deal' in comparison of the other states' heyday. Of the acclaimed captains of military history (at least in the West), perhaps only Frederick II of Prussia (the Great) faced a higher preponderance of encompassing enemy forces when he began his plight, and he, despite an ingenious display of battle craft, survived after being battered as much as he did the inflicting, as well as due some fortuitous occurrences (the death of Empress Elizaveta of Russia and geographic advantages; but not a simple topic, and not for here). Who claimed otherwise - that Philip 'invented' anything other than the sarissa (likely elaborated on the longer spears than a traditional dory (or doru), wielded by his hostile northern neighbors; the only literary evidence is scantily applied to the Iphicratean reforms)? That Philip 'pulled all the strings together' is not a 'moderately' impressive success, as some seem to allude; it involved much more than a simple piece of hardware. His initial reforms were emergency measures which bore fruit brilliantly against the Illyrians right from the get-go, thus reversing a verdict of nearly four decades of subjection to them. The drill and training he imbued in his men was unprecedented, and he reorganized his infantry into tactical units, not a 'well known good thing to the Greeks' save for Sparta.
…First off, Philip didn't subjugate all of Greece…
No, Philip didn't subjugate all of Greece; as we can see, Philip was so incomplete at the culmination of his work, as there was indeed some non-subjugated territory down there in the fringes of the central southern Peloponnese. The image below is from historyofmacedonia.org, with the imperial boundaries of 359 B.C. (left) and 336 B.C.

Sure, what an 'incomplete' conqueror Philip was.
Your pic from "historyofmacedonia.org" is a propaganda pic...

...That map is incorrect, it shows direct Macedonian control over most of Greece, when it was just the hegemonia...
This is the realistic picture,cause after all it does not referring to an "Ethnic Macedonia"
as the one of the first post is. Peloponesus was never under Macedonian control neither the Aitolia!
Philipp was the "regulator of Greece but not the ruler of it.
Actually, that map may indeed extend Philip's realm a little too far north and west in the Balkans (it doesn't appear that the tribal peoples of the Adriatic littoral north of Epirus were ever bothered with, and Philip was injured badly against the Triballi, thus his men had to get him out of there; Alexander would continue the completion in 335 B.C.). But the map I presented simply phrases the political condition, as of 336 B.C., in Greece as the 'Macedonian Empire', which I think is quite true; the bounds and nature of imperial power are not in any way sweepingly defined (IMHO, of course). Basically, war and power was endemic to ancient Greek society at this time; the Greek states would never allow Philip to 'regulate' them if he hadn't procured enough power to 'rule' them. Philip in 337 B.C. was more powerful over more of Greece than had been Sparta, Athens, and Thebes at the pinnacle of their times amid the Greek world of the mainland, thus he knew what would probably not work in the long haul. He did not make a general aggregate settlement with the Athenian coalition following Chaeronea, but rather with its individual states, whether city-states like Megara or federal-league organizations like that of the Achaeans.

The distinction of 'regulator' and 'ruler' in this political setting is merely semantic. Aetolia had been 'won over' by Philip by 343 B.C., when he dethroned the pro-Athenian Arymbas and established his Molossian brother-in-law Alexander as king of Epirus (the uncle of Alexander the Great); this allowed the Aetolians an extension of territory in Chaonia, and by 338 B.C. Philip had 'delivered' them Naupaktos (and Nicaea to Locris), which they could not hitherto gain on their own. Hence they were under his sphere of control once he was master of Greece following Chaeronea. The Aetolain League came into being a decade or so before Philip gained the Macedonian throne, but never showed signs of wishing to throw off the Macedonian yoke until the end of 4th century B.C. In my opinion, and respectfully, the political condition you two think you're purporting with the usage of terms like 'incorrect' and 'realism' is nothing other than a wolf in sheep's clothing. Remember, the calculated conditions lain by Philip throughout Greece (any form of settlement was within his grasp) in 337 B.C. were now based on his grand design for the proximate eastern lands in Asia Minor - he distributed the balance of power to his advantage, to make his kingdom and the rest of Greece secure not for his overlordship, but for his absence.

Philip was the veritable overlord of Greece as of the second congress at Corinth in 337 B.C., with nothing other than control over all of it: if he desired to exact 'direct control', he certainly had the capacity and resources to demonstrate it. Sparta was effectively isolated and neutralized after his march into the Pelopónnisos, and his strategically placed garrisons in Ambracia, Corinth, Thebes, and Chalcis were not in accordance with anything resembling indigenous autonomy in central and southern Greece, as well as the Pelopónnisos. However often he may have smiled while 'regulating' terms to the various states for their 'alliances', the entire structure which emerged was centered around his person. To describe the condition as Philip's hēgemonia is mere sugar coating; he was the King of Macedon; just about all the Greek Balkan states were his vassals; he was the archon of Thessaly (not one of two tagoi); he was the hegemon of the new league's council, the synedrion, and in wartime it's strategos autokrator - hence he possessed all the power; his voice was certainly final among the hieromnemon on the Amphictyonic Council. All his methods were a reflection of his resolve to ensure his domination over Greece, which was effectuated in the couple years prior to his assassination. Thus Philip had created an empire resting on a symmachia (military alliance) for the purpose of conquest outside of Greece, which he was to personally lead. Theoretically, he had established a 'nation state'. In practice, however, that hypothesis may be a little superficial.

Diodorus, Bibliotheca Historica, Book 17.3.1-5, regarding the setting upon Alexander’s accession as king,

"...Alexander knew that many of the Greeks were anxious to revolt, and was seriously worried. In Athens, where Demosthenes kept agitating against Macedon, the news of Philip's death was received with rejoicing, and the Athenians were not ready to concede the leading position among the Greeks to Macedon. They communicated secretly with Attalus and arranged to cooperate with him, and they encouraged many of the cities to strike for their freedom.

The Aetolians voted to restore those of the Acarnanians who had experienced exile because of Philip. The Ambraciots were persuaded by one Aristarchus to expel the garrison placed in their city by Philip and to transform their government into a democracy. Similarly, the Thebans voted to drive out the garrison in the Cadmeia and not to concede to Alexander the leadership of the Greeks. The Arcadians alone of the Greeks had never acknowledged Philip's leadership nor did they now recognize that of Alexander. Otherwise in the Peloponnese the Argives and Eleians and Lacedaemonians, with others, moved to recover their independence..."

A slip here by Diodorus is obvious: he inverted the position of the Arcadians and the Lacedaemonians - it was the latter who were alone among the Greeks whom had never been subject to Philip. But the balance of power Philip realigned in the Pelopónnisos left them ringed with hostility; they were effectively neutralized.

We read from Claudius Aelianus (not to be confused with the military writer of the same name and basic timeframe, that being the 2nd century A.D.; into the 3rd regarding Claudius), Varia Historia (Historical Miscellany), Book 6.1,

"…When Philip won the Battle of Chaeronea, he was buoyed by his achievement, as were all the Macedonians. The Greeks were very frightened of him, and their cities surrendered individually; this was the decision of Thebes, Megara, Corinth, the Achaeans, Elis, Euboea, and the whole Acte*. But Philip did not respect the agreements he had made with them, and enslaved them all unjustly and illegally…"

*Attica, which was originally called Actaea: from Karl Müller and John Lockhart, Attica and Athens (1842 ed.), Pg. 1,

"ATTICA, one of the eight districts into which central Greece (Hellas proper) was divided, is said to have been at first called ACTEA, from Actaeus or Actaeon (man of the shore), its first occupant, who is termed an AUTOCHTHON (native of the soil); or ACTICE or ACTE (shore), as consisting chiefly of a country bounded by the sea, which washes its rocky coast (1).

(1) Marm. Arund. i. 4; Steph. Byz. Harpocr. Paus. iii. 11; Apollod. Fr. 1121; Plin. H. N. iv. 7; Mel. ii. 3..."

Though drawn from a basis of fact, the above comment from Aelian, a writer of rhetoric whose works were rife with interesting anecdotes (like Aulus Gellius), reflects a surviving tradition which is hostile to Philip; peculiarly, it is also the most complete statement which has survived from the ancient record about the treaties made by Philip with members of the Athenian coalition formed against him before Chaeronea. The omission of Athens herself is surprising, but stating 'the whole of Acte' is revealing enough (Elis had not been a member of the Athens' coalition, nor active at Chaeronea). At the risk of sounding too 'tutorial', once we smooth over these precious ancient snippets of unevenness, we can more easily extrapolate from there. So much is still theoretical, of course.
…Second off, Philip lost several battles/sieges in his campaigns. Alexander, on the other hand, never lost a battle in his campaigns. And you can't seriously say there's nothing special about Alexander's campaigns/battles.…
The above analogy in comparing Philip and Alexander is not solid, in my opinion. Philip deserves the merit and handicap of coming first. He was the builder, at first effecting emergency measures for the army right off the bat (certainly not yet with the funds to equip them heavily or hire mercenaries) which immediately reversed an afflicted condition for the Macedones the previous near four decades against more martially prowess and hostile neighbors. He didn't 'lose several battles/sieges' at all, from my view, and he was never thwarted from an object if determined to undertake it. Onomarchus was inexorably crushed by Philip when the latter had with him the army he intended to lead; if he lifted a siege or turned back, it was no 'victory', in terms of superiority at war by the 'victor'. Demosthenes told of his extreme degree of energy and ambition. He had to make decisions exigent upon each object's current importance, thus he weighed his options carefully, not letting the aspect of inflated ego or pride be a factor. Any claim that the Triballi 'defeated' him rests flimsily on the fact he was injured by 'friendly fire', hence his survival was his troops' immediate concern, which enabling the Triballi to capture the Macedonian spoils. The Athenian expeditionary force 'stopped' him at Thermopylae, as if they 'defeated' him? Sure, hats off for being 'present'. Alexander was compelled to turn away at Pelion and Myndus, and wasn't very inspiring at Halicarnassus (with stone throwing catapults on his towers, no less - something not yet availed to Philip), where he needed to request a truce to retrieve his dead, and he never tackled two strongholds simultaneously where both received ample, variegated aid. Because Alexander never lost and Philip did is far too superficial per se to claim the former as the superior (IMHO, of course). It's similar to the Hannibal and Scipio debate or the analogous aspect of Napoleon and Wellington; few rank the actual victors of Zama and Waterloo the better commander per se, though the basic yardstick should favor the victorious commander when the two being compared actually met. But there's no 'set rule', and circumstances and perused aspects need serious consideration. But opinion is not something that can be proven true or false, hence this is all merely my opinion.

Above: the plain of Chaeronea. From this view, looking eastwards, the plain ranges nearly two miles towards the foot of Mt. Akontion, seen in the background. It is obvious how cavalry could be deployed here. The ruins visible in the left foreground mark the ancient Acropolis of Chaeronea. The great battle was fought a little south of town, before the wider plains of Boeotia open up, hence this was a prudent position to attempt a blockage of Philip's army, which the coalition outnumbered in footmen. This photo was procured from the book Philip of Macedon, edited by Miltiades B. Hatzopoulos and Louisa D. Loukopoulos (Ekdotike Athenon S.A., Athens, 1980), Pg. 75.

This was an alleged 'correction' on myself, to which I wrote Philip lost one battle, in 353 B.C. (I needed correcting on the date of the battle, which the 'corrector' here didn't notice that I initially stated as occurring in 354 B.C.):
Nothing major here, just pointing out some corrections and adding extra info...

…Diodorus states that Philip lost two field battles against the Phocians.

"When Philip in company with the Thessalians joined battle against the Phocians, Onomarchus with his superior numbers defeated him in two battles and slew many of the Macedonians. As for Philip, he was reduced to the uttermost perils and his soldiers were so despondent that they had deserted him, but by arousing the courage of the majority, he got them with great difficulty to obey his orders." (16.35.5)

Aside from those those two field battles that he lost, Philip also lost two notable siege battles: Perinthus and Byzantium.

I just want to point out that the Persians sent aid to Perinthus and Byzantium. Perinthus and Byzantium were the first-encounter clashes between Macedon and Persia. Suffice it to say: Macedon failed to impress the Greeks and Persians on those occasions.

So, Philip's battle losses were as follows:
- 2 losses to the Phocians (mentioned by Diodorus)
- failed siege of Perinthus
- failed siege of Byzantium
This is paradigmatic of the often telescoping from Diodorus throughout his Book 16; 'Diodorus states' with three words, therefore that makes the presentation a concrete case of 'two set battles', without any holes?
…What about his failure to capture Byzantium?…
It's very peculiar that what is omitted above is the fact that Byzantium aided Perinthus, including catapults for defense, thus forcing Philip to divide his force to carry out both assaults simultaneously. Is this an honest error due to a lack complete knowledge, or a mistake from a couple of pedantically minded Philip detractors who 'forgot' substantial details which affected the course of the action in question?

This concludes Parts 1 and 2 of 4; I'll wait a day or so before posting the rest.

Thanks, James :)
SKY

Re: Philip II of Macedon: Sent by Apollo

Post by SKY »

Hi James - what happened to parts 3 & 4?
Enjoyed parts 1 & 2.

Best,
SKY