His fathers' death

Discuss Philip's achievements and Macedonia pre-Alexander

Moderator: pothos moderators

macm

His fathers' death

Post by macm »

What do You think about it, was Arrian right citing reply to Darius' letter after Issus in which he blamed Persians for organising this killing or maybe the letter was fals, maybe true is that one of soldiers - Pausanias was raped by group of men and because of that he killed Alexander, others says that Alexander killed his father whitch for me is not probable. In my opinion Persians could played some role in this death - I think that becouse of their politic from previous times like Peloponesian War - we can see how they manipulated Atenian and others' democracies. I think that was perfect time for them to deestablish order in Greek Alliance they only made small mistake didn't forseen how great can be Alexander.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: His fathers' death

Post by marcus »

There's a very good section on Philip's death in the Information section, which you might find useful to read. At the end of the day, there was so much propaganda, after Alexander's death as much as before, that it is extremely hard to come to a firm conclusion about the assassination. For my own part, I ascribe to the view that it was a revenge killing by Pausanias, pure and simple, although it *appeared* to do the Persians and Athenians a very good turn (but not as it turned out!). I certainly do not believe that Alexander or Olympias had anything to do with it. But we shall never know for sure, and one person's guess is as good as another's!
All the best
Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK