Philip II by Ed Anson

Discuss Philip's achievements and Macedonia pre-Alexander

Moderator: pothos moderators

Jeanne Reames
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Philip II by Ed Anson

Post by Jeanne Reames »

Arriving very soon (as in October 1st) is a new bio on Philip that has textbook potential.

Ed(ward) Anson is a long-time Macedoniast, teaches in Arkansas, has authored multiple articles and tends to deal especially with both pre-Alexander and post-Alexander (early Hellenistic, including the infamous dating dramas there).

Philip II, the Father of Alexander the Great: Themes and Issues, is the title. Link goes to the Amazon page for it.

Given it's Ed's work, I expect it to be well-cited and steeped in knowledge of the current academic literature.
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Director, Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Graduate Studies Chair
University of Nebraska, Omaha
287 ASH; 6001 Dodge Street
Omaha NE 68182
http://jeannereames.net/cv.html
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Philip II by Ed Anson

Post by sean_m »

Adrian Goldsworthy has also returned to ancient history with a book on Philip and Alexander (Philip and Alexander – kings and conquerors, Head of Zeus (UK) / Basic Books (USA)). The publishers picked Tom Holland, Barry Strauss, and Victor Davis Hanson to write blurbs which includes some controversial writers!

I would guess that it would be a bit lighter since he has not spent his career studying the Argeads like Ed Anson has.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)