What's the result of Peucestas?

Discuss the wars of Alexander's successors

Moderator: pothos moderators

LeGrandAriel

What's the result of Peucestas?

Post by LeGrandAriel »

Jona Lendering says that he became a general of Demetrius,but how could it be?His position was even higher than Antigonus I and he defeated Peithon of Media early.

I mailed to him to ask for the source or reference but I'm not replied by now.

I personally guess he share the same fate of Peithon maybe 1 or 2 years after he gave up the Persis satrapy.Or his fate was silimar to Cleopatra sister of Alexander the great(Under house arrest,will be executed if he wants to escape)

But if he was not executed,he should be under the control of Seleucus after he restored Babylon.It's very funny thing that if Peucestas was still in position it will be hard for Seleucus to conquer the east----However,Peucestas may be a even big threat for Antigonus
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Re: What's the result of Peucestas?

Post by Taphoi »

LeGrandAriel wrote:Jona Lendering says that he became a general of Demetrius,but how could it be?His position was even higher than Antigonus I and he defeated Peithon of Media early.

I mailed to him to ask for the source or reference but I'm not replied by now.
Athenaeus 14.614f

Best wishes,

Andrew
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

LeGrandAriel wrote:Jona Lendering says that he became a general of Demetrius,but how could it be?His position was even higher than Antigonus I and he defeated Peithon of Media early [...] But if he was not executed,he should be under the control of Seleucus after he restored Babylon.It's very funny thing that if Peucestas was still in position it will be hard for Seleucus to conquer the east----However,Peucestas may be a even big threat for Antigonus
Antigonus removed him from Persis due to his popularity (Diod. 19.48.5)
Now Antigonus, perceiving that Peucestes was enjoying great favour among the Persians, first took his satrapy away from him. Then when the Persians were angry, and when Thespius, one of their leading men, even said frankly that the Persians would not obey anyone else, Antigonus had this man killed and set up Asclepiodorus as ruler of Persia, giving him a sufficient number of soldiers. As for Peucestes, Antigonus, after leading him on to hope for other things and filling him with vain expectations, removed him from the country.
The aforementioned fragment of Phylarchus indicates that he was at the court of Demetrius and survived Antigonus. He was perhaps amongst Demetrius' staff sometime after his removal as were Pithon (son of Aegnor), Nearchus, Andronicus and a certain Philip who may be that serving under Eumenes.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

The quote from Athenaeus incase you wondered about the exact wording: :)
Fond of jesting also was Demetrius Poliorcetes, as Phylarchus says in the sixth book of his Histories. Demetrius used say that the court of Lysimachus differed in no respect from a scene in a comedy; for all the characters that appeared in the scene had disyllabic names, - thus poking fun at Bithys and at Paris, who were in very high favour with Lysimachus, and some others among his friends; whereas from his own court came Peucesteses and Menelauses, and even Oxythemises.
Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor