Alexand**'s name?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

luc
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Alexand**'s name?

Post by luc »

Isn't that sad?
But no, our names do have some meaning, a lot of names came out of misspelled words, or words put together because somehow it sounded "nice". And meanings do vary, sometimes a lot. The best way to find them is to find the countries it originated from. The new world...(that's us) will probably have taken the names from England, France, Italy and so forth...and them - from Rome, Greece, India, the Celts..and so forth. Find where it comes from, then it's easier to find the true meaning. If you're lucky you got something from the Roman Empire, latin is still easy enough to translate.
luc

Re: I guess what I am asking is....

Post by luc »

Ale-XAN-dro, solely because we tend to leave out the "S" sound anyway when we speak fast :0) and if it is "Alexandros" then I'd hope that he never says "what did you call me?" and then we'd be good.
tataLuc
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: I guess what I am asking is....

Post by yiannis »

Our reply to Alex's "what did you call me" would have to be: AlExandro (stressed at E). Check the postings. However his name is AlExandros (WITH the s!:-)cheers,
Yiannis
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I had a look at my tetradrachm and, as Murphy's Law dictates, the last letter of the name was very worn. But it certainly looked as if the coin says "Alexandrou".As I suspected, though, I couldn't really read anything on the drachm.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Well, you can't beat the law:)
Take a look at this very nice photo.
http://ancient-coin-forum.com/Greek/Greek_Coins.htm
For sure your coin also is inscribed:
Vasileos ALEXANDROY meaning "King Alexander's "(possessive case)Regards,
Yiannis
luc

Post by luc »

Okay, you all must have watched In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great. There's a greek song there these guys at a pub sing along to, and in that song (granted it's more Macedonia then anything) I could have sworn that they say "Alexandre" so what's that all about?