my favorites

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

nina
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

my favorites

Post by nina »

hi friends, got a new computer from santa and tried to enter porthos.org into my new computer and it's in another language beside english. any recomendations?? just read green's book..what a wake up call after reading mary renault! tina d
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: my favorites

Post by ruthaki »

Remember that Renault is a historical FICTION writer and she still is one of the best as far as relating the Greek stories (also those of Alexander's life) in a fiction novel. Green is a historian. And since the time Renault wrote her trilogy on Alexander there have been many new insights and discoveries. (The tombs at Aigai, for instance and Aristotle's school at Meiza).
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Remember that Renault is a historical FICTION writer and she still is one of the best as far as relating the Greek stories (also those of Alexander's life) in a fiction novel. Green is a historian. And since the time Renault wrote her trilogy on Alexander there have been many new insights and discoveries. (The tombs at Aigai, for instance and Aristotle's school at Meiza).
S

Post by S »

Greetings,I agree with Ruthaki. Further, Green makes his own blunders in trying to apply traits to Hephaistion with nothing to back them up, as well as bringing his own biases into his perception of Alexander, the people surrounding him, and the times. So far, Renault's historical trilogy still stands as the mark others strive to reach, in terms of creatng a world and peopleing it. Regards,
Sikander
S

Post by S »

Greetings,I agree with Ruthaki. Further, Green makes his own blunders in trying to apply traits to Hephaistion with nothing to back them up, as well as bringing his own biases into his perception of Alexander, the people surrounding him, and the times. So far, Renault's historical trilogy still stands as the mark others strive to reach, in terms of creatng a world and peopleing it. Regards,
Sikander
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Tina, I think it's just a matter of a typographical error. If you mistakenly typed Porthos.org into your new computer you will indeed get a foreign website. Just take out the "r" and you will find this site with no problems. :-)Best regards,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Tina, I think it's just a matter of a typographical error. If you mistakenly typed Porthos.org into your new computer you will indeed get a foreign website. Just take out the "r" and you will find this site with no problems. :-)Best regards,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
nina

Post by nina »

amyntoros, thankyou thankyou thankyou... i am going to try this as soon as i get home to my new computer. atlas,when the computer guy came over last night his only comment was so you read german! well, i guess that would be nice, but i read alexander. can't wait till i can get back to you and let youy know what happens. oh yea, forgot to mention, going to dsl instead of dial-up. this should be a real treat. so now i can watch and listen and include myself without it taking forever and a day. tina d
nina

Post by nina »

amyntoros, thankyou thankyou thankyou... i am going to try this as soon as i get home to my new computer. atlas,when the computer guy came over last night his only comment was so you read german! well, i guess that would be nice, but i read alexander. can't wait till i can get back to you and let youy know what happens. oh yea, forgot to mention, going to dsl instead of dial-up. this should be a real treat. so now i can watch and listen and include myself without it taking forever and a day. tina d
nina

Post by nina »

amyntoros,home now and on line,many thanks tina d
nina

Post by nina »

amyntoros,home now and on line,many thanks tina d