Staying Up all night!

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Staying Up all night!

Post by smittysmitty »

Well its 12.37 a.m, just made a coffee and about to sit down to writing a paper on the reasons behind Greece's colonising activity beteween the eighth and sixth centuries BC.

As much as I love reading and discussing history - I hate writing papers. I've actually dropped work (sick hmm!) in an effort to get this paper out of the way. I'll be online most of the night - say hello if you like.

Cheeers!.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Staying Up all night!

Post by marcus »

smittysmitty wrote:Well its 12.37 a.m, just made a coffee and about to sit down to writing a paper on the reasons behind Greece's colonising activity beteween the eighth and sixth centuries BC.

As much as I love reading and discussing history - I hate writing papers. I've actually dropped work (sick hmm!) in an effort to get this paper out of the way. I'll be online most of the night - say hello if you like.

Cheeers!.
You poor soul, Smitty. Ah, I well remember the days of staying up all night to write essays - but never when I was working, too (I don't think I could have managed without the sleep ... probably wise if you're throwing a sickie).

Reasons behind Greece's colonising activity, eh? You're welcome to it, mate! :shock:

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

G'day Marcus.

Yeah, I feel a bit guilty about dropping work - oh well havn't done so fo a couple of years.

Thanks for dropping by and saying hello. :D

The subject matter 'Greek colonisation' is rather interesting really. I don't mind it at all. It's just having to condense so much information into 2500 words and add some opinion thats the problem.

Never mind, on with the show!

cheers
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

smittysmitty wrote: The subject matter 'Greek colonisation' is rather interesting really. I don't mind it at all. It's just having to condense so much information into 2500 words and add some opinion thats the problem.
Only 2,500 words? Ouch! :shock:

Still, thinking about it, when I was at university our essays were about 2,000 words (except for dissertations, of course, which were 7,000). It was only when I did my MA that I had to start writing 5,000 word essays (which meant that, for my teacher training, where we have 2 x 4,000 word assignments, it seems a bit easy! :wink: )

Hope it goes well ... don't drink too much coffee.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

Sounds rather piddly doesn't it - 2500 words.

I guess its more about being articulate and concise at this stage.
Lots of editing and rewriting - and coffee :roll:

Oh well , back to writing my next paragraph! :idea:
jan
Strategos (general)

Writing term papers

Post by jan »

Hi Smitty, Smitty, Your working at the late midnight hour interested me as it has been a long time since I had do to do anything like this. One of the reasons I sort of wanted to know who is who when I am ever involved in a discussion. All that is behind me now, and while I tried to learn how to write a novel in a creative writing correspondence group, I haven't been back to the class room in a very long time. Your post refreshed my memory of what it is like for students in college and high school, but I don't know much about the world of college professors and their work. Those of you whoare professional writers in the publishing world have a different lifestyle from some of us who are just feeling our way through.

The writing course was for children's literature, and that was one of the reasons I studied the Alexander the Great history world for so long too, a chance to learn whether there is a call for stories about ATG in children's lit. Actually, there are many books and stories about Alexander in that department, more than in the adult fiction world.

But your turning to pothos while writing a thesis ofsome kind intrigues me. You just need company I guess, and hope that your work is coming along now. Where is it being published if I may ask? Or is this for a classroom?

Just stopping to say hi and all is all. :lol: Jan