Alexander Rocks the World by Vicky Alvear Shecther

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Alexander Rocks the World by Vicky Alvear Shecther

Post by jan »

:lol: Alexander Rocks the World is humorous, funny, and fantastic! With Terry Naughton as her cartoonist, a member of Walt Disney's filmmaking community, Vicky and Terry have combined to write and illustrate a great children's book.

This is a paper back version of Alexander's escapades as he tried to conquer the world, and uses quotations from Aristotle and other Greek personalities to punctuate her book with cleverness and pithy sayings.

Terry's cartoons make the appearance of Alexander look both a bit inflated in the cheeks and a lot like an overgrown kid playin grownup! Surprise! The overgrown kid is a lion in disguise!

Vicky uses today's slang to make this book dated and topical, but it should be a part of everyone's library. It is a positive look at Alexander, the superman of the ancient world.

I especially liked finding new portraits of Alexander that I had never seen before, one of Alexander in front of his troops, with his head pushed up in a manner totally unbelievably audacious to me, and a portrait of the marriage to Roxanne who is believable to me in appearance. I loved seeing finally a portrait of Roxanne that I believe is true to her real appearance. What a nice surprise as the painting of Alexander is just as likely to be his likeness also.

This book takes a long time to read as it is very concise and comprehensive. Never underestimate Vicky. This award-winning copywriter knows her stuff and knows how to write well! She is very humorous and light-hearted in her treatment of the warriorking and makes him highly appealing to teenagers. I like the book, even her reference to Johnny Appleseed which I had once mentioned myself also. So I gather that we of the same mindthoughts share an enthusiasm for ATG! Vicky has at least made it to the publishers. And I congratulate her most sincerely.

:)