Tombs of the Greek Heroes conference

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Tombs of the Greek Heroes conference

Post by Taphoi »

Just in case anyone is based in Italy or can be there in mid-September:

The University of Padua (GÇ£Universita degli Studi di PadovaGÇ¥ near Venice) is holding a conference on the Tombs of the Greek Heroes ("Eroi, Eroismi, Eroizzazioni Dalla Grecia Antica") on 18th -19th September.

I will be presenting a paper entitled GÇ£Famous Alexandrian Mummies:
The Adventures in Death of Alexander the Great and Saint Mark the EvangelistGÇ¥ at this conference on Monday 18th September. The pdf of the conference programme is downloadable from the Latest News page of my website at www.alexanderstomb.com

Best wishes,

Andrew
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Tombs of the Greek Heroes conference

Post by marcus »

Taphoi wrote:Just in case anyone is based in Italy or can be there in mid-September:
How nice that would be, Andrew! :wink:

Anyway, best of luck with the paper.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Tantalus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Tombs of the Greek Heroes conference

Post by Tantalus »

Taphoi wrote:I will be presenting a paper entitled GÇ£Famous Alexandrian Mummies:
The Adventures in Death of Alexander the Great and Saint Mark the EvangelistGÇ¥
I would really love to read it. Any chance you will be posting it on your website?
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

My paper is scheduled to be published in the Conference Proceedings. I expect they will be available to purchase from the University of Padua. I will ask. I cannot publish it on my website, since I would be infringing upon the prerogative of the Conference Proceedings.

Best wishes,

Andrew
Tantalus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Tantalus »

If you do find out where they can be bought please post it. Thanks Andrew!
Eschatos

Post by Eschatos »

:)
I study in Padua.
I think i gonna go to the conference; it'll be joined by the most important professors of our faculty.
See you there, Taphoi?
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

Yes, sure. Say hello when we're there Eschatos.

Best wishes,

Andrew
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

Tantalus wrote:If you do find out where they can be bought please post it. Thanks Andrew!
Hi Tantalus,

The Proceedings will be published by the University of Padua, but probably not until Autumn 2007. I will aim to post when there is more information. There is a brief report on the conference on my website at www.alexanderstomb.com (under Latest News) including a few photos, one of which shows an interesting piece of ancient sculpture, found embedded in the oldest part of the foundations of the Basilica di San Marco in Venice in the early 1960's.

Best wishes,

Andrew
jan
Strategos (general)

Photos are very interesting

Post by jan »

:D Well, you finally answered my questions as I see that you have three photos and a short brief about your presentation. I love the photos. Very impressive starburst! Thanks so much for keeping us posted. Jan
jasonxx

No greek Heroes

Post by jasonxx »

Where does this notion of Greek Heroes Come from. All the so called Heroes Come from Greek Mythology. Made up heroes that fought Minatores and Achilles you know the Guy that fought Hector with a stacked deck.

Who were the real Greek Heroes apart from Maybe Leonidas I cant think of a single one. The rest were scientist Orators and Philosophers.

The Greeks were not heroes at all they were the people that fought wars for decades against neighbouring cities and quite often sold each other down the road to the so called enemy the Persians. For decades and including Alexanders reign the Greeks were constantly linning there pockets with Persian gold and fickle favours.

I would say the most realistic words from the Iliad are a warning. Beware Greeks bearing gifts.

kenny
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Re: No greek Heroes

Post by Taphoi »

jasonxx wrote:Who were the real Greek Heroes apart from Maybe Leonidas I cant think of a single one.
Hephaistion was a "real" hero. He was officially designated as such by the Oracle of Zeus-Ammon at Siwa. An ancient sculpture has been found in Macedonia, which is inscribed "To the hero Hephaistion".

Conversely, Jason was a mythological hero, who may never have existed. I hope your grip on reality remains secure, Kenny!

Best wishes,

Andrew
jasonxx

Devinci

Post by jasonxx »

Andrew Hail

I try to keep real and close. However after Watching the Davinvi Code I cant help thinking about your book.

Get your finger out and get that tomb of Saint Mark opened. I am getting more and more convinced with the Catholic Church and the secrets particullaly with the Timing of Alexanders disapearance and the appearnce of this St Mark thing particualay after he was supposedly burnd. The Coincidence for me is so uncanny. We know the Catholic Church and history is full of corruption but could it bring itself to destroy something as gigantic as Alexanders remains. :shock:

In some kind of perverse thinking I liken it to the death penalty in the USA the way they spend years sometimes decades holding the most evil killers in prison to watch nad strudy rather than to execute them quick.

As Mary Magdelin could be a threat to Christian Foundations I doubt Alexanders body could be after all Alexander represented a lot contrary to Christian Values. Yet the Christian thinking is similar in world domination Via the back door. :wink: :x

So cmon Andrew pull the strings and get that box looked into. I think its a good bet were on the right track. :!:
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Devinci

Post by Taphoi »

jasonxx wrote:get that tomb of Saint Mark opened.
I am unlikely to succeed in persuading the Catholic Church to allow the lid to be raised on the matter without the help and support of other interested parties - many Pothos forum members being among them, I would suppose. But even here, there may be some who think it is better not to look. For those who have taken a strong position on some of the issues that would be resolved by an investigation, it would be a double-edged sword. The answers might not be what they would have hoped. I would call this the Ostrich position (a bird which allegedly sticks its head in the sand, thus refusing to look, when danger threatens). They would think of it as self-preservation - not comprehending that sooner or later the truth will come out anyway.

"This is a self-preservation society" - The Italian Job

Best wishes,

Andrew
jasonxx

Self Preservation

Post by jasonxx »

Hail Andrew.

Devil be damned sometime the trueth no matter how it is wouldnt be to bad. Even for Pothonians Im sure if evidence was given that totally shatters our beliefs then Im man enough to accept it. Nothing wrong with answers even if they are not what we want to hear. :shock: I think in Pothos were all man enough to go with it.

One thing that maybe would be odd. What if the remains were actually carbon dated that we could accept they were Alexander. then what if the remains had no traces of Wounds or scars and inparticulaly the Wound that would be clear on the rib cage.

Just perhaps all that we have read were a prefab. Propogandal lie. ie Alexander wasnt scarred etc. Then how would we all think?

Kenny