Richard Stoneman Lecture

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

susan
Somatophylax

Richard Stoneman Lecture

Post by susan »

For us Brits, where are we meeting on Thursday for the Stoneman lecture ? James is bringing his photos of the bricked-up passage in the crypt of Nebi Daniel.Susan
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Richard Stoneman Lecture

Post by marcus »

Hi Susan,You beat me to it! I logged on to post the same message (except for the bit about James' photos, 'cos obviously I didn't know about that) to find you had already been here.I seem to recall that the mysterious "WMP" had arranged that there would be a "Pothos meeting point" set up (hopefully near the crisps) after the talk. I won't be able to get to Senate House much before 5.30 so I'm not sure there's much point in trying to get together before it starts. But I'll definitely be there!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
wmp
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by wmp »

Hullo, Susan, Marcus - & anyone else who can
make the Stoneman Lecture...The lecture will be in the ICS part of Senate
House (the southerly block) on the 3rd floor,
(Room 332, I think, but am not sure) but it will be
well signposted.Like Marcus, I'm unlikely to get there much
before the start of the lecture, as the Senate's a
little way from my campus. However, there's a
reception afterwards, in the Institute of Classical
Studies common room, where I'll put up a
poster "pothos meeting point" .... Nearer the
wine than the crisps, though... (The person in charge of the lecture is eager
that we wear or bring something Alexandrine -
but since he has an office full of Greek drama
props that we're trying to find a home for, I think
we really can ignore his suggestions -
especially as we won't get a sarissa in the lift...
:) )Looking forward to seeing James' photos!enjoy....
wmp
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Great! Where is your campus, then? I had somehow come to the conclusion that you are a Birkbeck-ite, but as that is right next to Senate House you clearly aren't?Well, we can discuss all that over the wine and crisps.But I'm having some difficulty with the straps on my cuirass at the moment, so I'll just have to come in my normal clothes. And the joint in my sarissa is warped, so if I brought it it would be more like a toothpick. At least it would fit in the lift! :-)Marcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
susa

Post by susa »

Hey MarcusBeware the ides of March, i mean, November. You'd better fix the problems with the straps of yr cuirass. And you don't really need the sarissa - a poniard will do to keep you safe, and certainly will fit in the lift.
I'm just thinking of a friend's safety.susa
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Susa,Thank you for your concern.I'm not worried about the cuirass - as you know from when you gave me your feedback on my writing, I have a very thick skin :-)Unfortunately, carrying a poniard might get me into trouble with the police. But I shall rely on my wit, which is sharp enough to see off even the most determined brigand...:-)Marcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

I wish all of You fine meeting and interesting lecture. Such meetings has to be very nice. Maybe next year i will try to be in London so maybe we could meet and talk in some place there.Maciek
thomaswp

Post by thomaswp »

I should be able to make it after all. Hope to see you all there.If only I had known about the dress code. I have some fantastic Alexander cuff-links, but they are at home and I am not until Thursday night.Thomas (lurking in the forum as usual)
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

I won't be able to make it - I had thought to combine a Christmas shopping trip with the talk. Shame - I could have worn my fohead codpiece. :(Have a lovely time, all.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Linda,Unless there's something you're not telling us, I can't see that you have a need for a fox-head codpiece. Perhaps I could borrow it, though?All the best Marcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Thomas,Good-oh! At least I'll recognise someone without having to lurk around the "Pothos meeting point" sign. Strength in numbers and all that...See you tomorrow.Marcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

So OK guys, what was the lecture about? I've posted the report of the "Facing Philip?" lecture held tonight in Vancouver B.C. I'd love to know what your lecture was about.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Ruth,I've just received confirmation off-forum that Susan will be submitting the report (my excellent attempt at getting off the hook! :-)) and I expect that this will appear soon.It was a good lecture, though - some fantastic illustrations... (if that doesn't whet your appetite, I don't know what will!)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK