New Alexander novel

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

I was going to leave this thread alone, but I’ve decided to add to it now. I can see how on a forum where a good number of active members are writing (or have written) novels, a constructive critique may be considered as support. However, saying something like “I don’t like your portrayal of Alexander because I don’t envision him that way,” isn’t helpful to the author. Oh, it’s said often about published novels by well-known writers and I’ve been guilty myself – Manfredi's trilogy comes immediately to mind – but famous published authors don’t come to this forum looking for either encouragement or critique. Further to this; I also think it is inappropriate for anyone to say, in essence, that “your portrayal of Alexander is wrong and my view is correct.” It’s been said often that everyone has their own Alexander; however no one can claim that their vision of Alexander is the one and only truth.

Derek, I enjoyed the chapter from your book and my personal opinion is that your exuberant Alexander is suggestive of historical depictions. I’ve often thought that the Macedonians had (for want of a better word) a childlike element to their personalities as is most demonstrated by the tales of their social life. It’s something akin to the representation of recruits in many war movies in the last few decades where their off-duty behavior can certainly be described as exuberant. The behavior is shown as a release from the trials and tribulations of training and warfare and it seems to me to be even more evident in a time when military exploits were a man’s whole life and imminent death was a constant reality. This said, I can certainly imagine Alexander’s delight in finally viewing the temple of Troy and tomb of Achilles …

On the matter of fact checking: I often see things in a novel which I don’t consider errors, per se, but which intrigue me nevertheless. I found this in Steve Oden’s book, Memnon (which I thoroughly enjoyed and really must review one of these days) when he described the sun on the white-washed walls of Rhodes, and wooden paneling on the walls of a courtesan’s rooms. Now, I don’t know if the exteriors of houses in Rhodes would have been painted in bright colors, as in Pompeii, although I have a small suspicion that they might have been. And was wood paneling a feature in any house at that time? I really can't say, but my curiosity was aroused and the questions will stay with me. That doesn’t, however, make Oden’s evocative descriptions wrong and I certainly wouldn’t complain about them. Same thing in your novel when I read the word “sightseeing” coming out of Hephaistion’s mouth - I had a thought that it might be a more recent word, and it is; apparently first used in 1842. I feel that the utilization of the word doesn’t detract from your novel though, especially as you use it to demonstrate the enthusiasm of Hephaistion for where they are about to go. As it’s part of our language today, few readers would be likely to question the use of the word, so I’m not trying to give you “constructive criticism” nor am I “nitpicking” but am simply pointing out how even a simple word in novel can pique this reader’s curiosity. That’s a good thing, IMO.

Anyway, Derek, I did enjoy the excerpt from your book and have added it to my seemingly never diminishing wish list. I’m curious to see where you go with this because events in Alexander’s life are fairly well documented from this point onwards. I’m no writer, but I suspect that it is a little easier to write a novel based on Alexander’s early years because we know relatively little about them. (I should add here that I don't consider the writing of any novel to be easy! :) ) I’m full of admiration, however, for writers (fledgling or otherwise) who attempt novels that cover the full expanse of his life, and trilogies especially. Whether I end up liking a book or not, I’m always curious to know exactly how the writer will fictionalize his/her tale whilst still trying to remain historically accurate. It isn’t something I would ever want to attempt. Good luck with your endeavors. :)

Best regards
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Thanks

Post by karen »

Thank you Amyntoros for returning this thread to its proper focus: Derek's novels.
derek
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by derek »

Amyntoros,

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you liked what you've read. What style to use for spoken language was one of the more difficult decisions. For a start, Alexander spoke ancient Greek, so anything that has him talking in English is way off the mark from the outset. I didn't want them spouting Shakespeare or suchlike, as that would have soon turned the reader off and is no more accurate than modern English. When I started, I tried not abbreviating speech to give it a more antiquated feel, for instance, saying "would not" instead of "wouldn't", but it got a bit pedantic and I ended up with phrases like "can you not", that were noticeably clumsy. So I settled for modern English as it's easier on the reader's eye, but tried to avoid words and phrases that obviously only exist due to 20th century innovations, eg not having Alexander say something like, "I've been spinning my wheels here for too long."

And I don't have him saying, "I can't believe we did that." The sentence in the book is, "It's hard to believe, but we've finally done it." Not the Wayne's World script that Jan's version makes it out to be.

I didn't want to focus on single events and base one book around an incident here, another there. I wanted to write the whole thing, and will have done so by the time I finish the third novel. As you say, his life is fairly well documented from the age of 16 onwards, so where he goes, my Alexander goes, what he does, mine does. It means I'm a bit restricted sometimes, but I'm also able to expand on the bare statements in the history books. For instance, Thessalus was the courier in the Pixadorus affair. There's no mention of him before then, but Alexander must have met him previously, and well enough to consider him a trusted friend. Where and when did they meet? As the author, it was up to me. I also found I had to come up with reasons for why he did things. Why did he destroy Persepolis? Why reward Porus? Why marry a minor chieftain's daughter from the remotest edge of empire? And at some point in the next few months, I'm going to have to decide: so what did kill him?

I soon discovered that writing an Alexander novel is extremely hard work, but it's also very interesting and an enjoyable pastime. And it's a very good way to get inside his head and realise why he did some of the things he did. I'd recommend it.
jan
Strategos (general)

The telephone trick...

Post by jan »

:lol: HI Derek, I see that you have reprinted a phrase from your own work. I have always read and heard that in a movie the first ten minutes is crucial to getting the audience wheeled in to listen to you. In a book it is the first page...

You lost me in the first page, but you have Amyntoros and others, so perhaps your book will be successful in reaching an intended audience.

I used the telephone trick because when I was in elementary school we learned that as one passes a phrase from mouth to mouth by the time it gets to the last person it has changed totally from the original...and that is what I suppose happened when I tried to explain where it is that you lost me...I heard a different tone in your voice in your last post...

My own personal belief is that I want my book to be like Gone With the Wind. Even if it is the only book that I ever write, I want it to become a classic. So I won't settle for anything less.

And this is directed to you, Derek, and not to anyone else. I mean it when I say congratulations! I am still just pulling my own outline together, and am nowhere close to a novel yet.

If your book does get into my hands, I will read it completely through. Until then, may you find many readers who will buy it through Amazon. I just cannot do that yet.

:cry:
jan
Strategos (general)

To Marcus,

Post by jan »

No, Marcus, it was Karen who addressed me as Mean Jan, not you. I guess you did not read her post. If I were being mean, as I do not believe I was doing anthing but giving an instant reaction, and I have not reread that first freebie that Derek provided in his link, I can only say that I was turned off by the first page of the first chapter that I read. It would not make me want to read his book.

I have read everyone's comments, and I have read comments about other author's works, including Judith French, Valerio Manfredi, and Paul Doherty. Not everyone here is kind to their works so I am wondering why it is that this reaction is coming from all of you about this one author whose name is Holmes.

Those authors did have publishers and I found their works in the library, and do not have to go to the internet to read them. They are professionals in that respect, and I would hope that my own book, if and when published, will likewise be found in bookstores and libraries all over the world.

It is difficult for any author to find an agent and an editor, and I know that the publishing world is interested in one thing: profits!
jan
Strategos (general)

Bridget Jones

Post by jan »

:D I did see the latest movie starring Renee Zellweger as Bridget Jones in which she marries Mark. The name McLeod popped up there, and it made me think of John. :?:
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Bridget Jones

Post by amyntoros »

jan wrote:I did see the latest movie starring Renee Zellweger as Bridget Jones in which she marries Mark. The name McLeod popped up there, and it made me think of John.
Jan, did you mean to post this on some other forum but put it here by mistake? I'm at a loss to know what it has to do with Derek's book, or Alexander, or anything under discussion on Pothos. :?

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
derek

Post by derek »

Jan,

My full name is Derek John McLeod Holmes, as my grandmother came from the McLeod clan on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland. Have you seen the film Highlander? Those are the McLeods.

There's nothing particularly inspiring about Derek Holmes, whereas John McLeod has that author's "ring" to it, so that's the name I used on the book. No ulterior motive involved.

Derek
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

derek wrote:My full name is Derek John McLeod Holmes, as my grandmother came from the McLeod clan on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland. Have you seen the film Highlander? Those are the McLeods.
Ah, what a great movie! But the McLeods don't *really* come from the shores of Loch Shiel, do they?

Of course, at the risk of going off on a weird tangent, Highlander does contain that great line "It's better to burn out than to fade away"'; which is very appropriate to Alexander, being a version of Achilles' own choice, which in his turn Alexander vowed he would prefer. (That was just to keep on the Alexander track, rather than this all turning into a movie site!)

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
derek

Post by derek »

Marcus,

The first time I saw Highlander, it got to the scene where the McLeods come out of the castle to go to war - and I was cheering!

The McLeods are in Lewis and the MacLeods in Skye. Or it may be the other way round...The only other thing I know about the McLeods is that they sided with the English at Culloden, and are still hated by the other clans for it.

Derek
jan
Strategos (general)

Simon Cowell

Post by jan »

:D I do not know how many of you are aware of American Idol, a television program that begun in England, I believe. Simon Cowell is the main guy on Idol here in America, and funny thing, that while listening to Fox promote this show again on Gibson's Big Story, Katherine McPhee, a former contestant and runner up to last year's idol winner, Taylor Hicks, called Simon mean in her interview. My ears perked up! What? Simon? Mean? I could not help but think of Karen and Marcus. Simon and me in the same category? :lol: Oh, well, I can take it!

I am frankly now concerned that there is a plot afoot now to link American Idol and Alexander.... :twisted:
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Simon Cowell

Post by marcus »

jan wrote::D I do not know how many of you are aware of American Idol, a television program that begun in England, I believe. Simon Cowell is the main guy on Idol here in America, and funny thing, that while listening to Fox promote this show again on Gibson's Big Story, Katherine McPhee, a former contestant and runner up to last year's idol winner, Taylor Hicks, called Simon mean in her interview. My ears perked up! What? Simon? Mean? I could not help but think of Karen and Marcus. Simon and me in the same category? :lol: Oh, well, I can take it!

I am frankly now concerned that there is a plot afoot now to link American Idol and Alexander.... :twisted:
Except that, as you yourself acknowledged, I never called you mean.

As for the rest of this post ... I'd start cutting out the coffee, Jan ... :lol:

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK