Alexander's Journal & Competition: Alexandrian Buildings

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Alexander's Journal & Competition: Alexandrian Buildings

Post by Taphoi »

Just to let you know that my article on "The Journal of Alexander the Great" has now been published in the Ancient History Bulletin. There are a few more details under Latest News on www.alexanderstomb.com

Also, I just posted a little competition on www.alexanderslovers.com which some Pothosians might like to try their hand at. The challenge is to name as many buildings as you can in ancient Alexandria. The prize for the highest score is a silver coin minted in Alexandria in AD70. There's a form on the site for submission of entries. Good luck!

Best wishes,

Andrew
Tantalus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Tantalus »

Andrew,

I would like to get that issue of AHB with your article The Journal of Alexander the Great but...

Since you are obviously in contact with Craig Cooper, an editor of Ancient History Bulletin, can you confirm with him that the address and email listed on http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/faculty/classics/ahb.html are correct and current? The last entry on that page is from 2005.

The reason I ask is that over the past 3 years I have sent him a half dozen emails and have never got a response. In 2005 I took a chance and sent a $30 money order for a subscription to the address listed on their web page. I never got my issues nor any response. I lost the money order receipt so I could not track what happened to it. I mailed another letter asking if they had received my money order. I got no response even though I included 2 different email addresses and my phone number and mail address.

You may remember that ~ 4 months ago you gave Craig my email address but he has not contacted me.

AHB has very good articles and I would still like a subscription and especially the issue with your recent article The Journal of Alexander the Great . But I don't want to lose any more money. So if you would not mind, here are my questions if you would pass them on to Craig:

1. Are the email and mail address on http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/faculty/classics/ahb.html correct? The last entry is 2005.

2. Are the prices current? A subscription is $30/year for an individual? And back issues are $35 per volume?

3. So if I send $30 for a 2007 subscription will it include Issue 19.3-4, with The Journal of Alexander the Great?

4. Is it possible to get a listing of the articles in past issues of AHB?

If you could pass those questions along, or direct Craig to this thread I would appreciate it. You could give him my email again but he didn't respond when you gave it to him before.

FYI, the picture of the contents page of Issue 19.3-4 that you have on your site says "Issue 19.3-4 2005"?

http://www.alexanderstomb.com/main/late ... ntents.gif
Last edited by Tantalus on Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

Hi Tantalus,

I believe the details on that page are correct. Sorry you have had a problem. I will pass your questions on to Craig. The date for issue 19.3-4 of the journal (second half of 2005) is correct. The issues are currently appearing slightly in arrears. That may be why you have not received your subscription. According to the website, it is possible to buy a single issue for $15.

Best wishes,

Andrew
Tantalus

Post by Tantalus »

Thanks Andrew.

I will try one more time but I will require a signature to receive my letter. But my impression of AHB right now is not very good.
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

Hi Tantalus,

I have passed your message back to Craig Cooper. He replies:

"Could you have the individual contact me by e-mail and I will get onto it right away, by sending him Volume 19 which has your article in it. I am not sure what happened but I will credit him the membership he sent."

Craig's email is as published on the AHB website.

I think you should consider whether your emails have anything in them that might make them look like spam. I have had that problem once or twice with university mail servers.

Please let me know, preferably in a private message, if you have any further problems. I have also private-messaged you on this matter on Pothos.

Best wishes,

Andrew
Tantalus

Post by Tantalus »

Thanks for passing that on to Craig. That was nice of him to offer to send Volume 19 but I will resend a check. It is possible he never got it and I only want to do what is right.

And maybe he has very aggressive spam filters. So I will be mindful of what I write and I will send it from a couple different domains.

I don't want to make AHB look bad especially if they don't deserve it. I know they do publish very good articles.

Of course they do. Andrew is in it isn't he?! :)