Heckel's book

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Heckel's book

Post by jan »

:D I admit I like Heckel's analysis that was a part of a book of Curtius's that I read recently, so I am looking forward to his latest book. I know that someone has mentioned its release here already, but little has been said since. Anybody know when it will be available? Thanks, Jan
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Heckel's book

Post by marcus »

jan wrote: I know that someone has mentioned its release here already, but little has been said since. Anybody know when it will be available? Thanks, Jan
Don't remember, Jan. But I looked it up on Amazon and pre-ordered it, so you could look for it there and it will give you the publication date.

That being said, Heckel's "Who's Who" was finally published about 18 months after the date originally promoted by Amazon, so you can't take their word as absolute (that's not their fault - they can only go by what the publisher says).

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

I found your original post

Post by jan »

in which you do say that you ordered it and then I found Blackwell's list which Amyntoros posted showing all the chapters. So I found what I wanted and you did not name the release date so that is fine. Thanks, I will check at Amazon to see what is there. :D
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: I found your original post

Post by marcus »

jan wrote:in which you do say that you ordered it and then I found Blackwell's list which Amyntoros posted showing all the chapters. So I found what I wanted and you did not name the release date so that is fine. Thanks, I will check at Amazon to see what is there. :D
Hi Jan,

I was checking something else on Amazon this morning and so checked the date for the Heckel book, in case you haven't done so yet.

Amazon are estimating that they will deliver it to me between 3 and 5 July. Of course, that's according to UK publication dates, so how close that is to US dates I don't know. I imagine they would be released at the same time, but one can't always be sure.

As I said before, from previous experience that doesn't mean that it will be published then - it's when they think it's going to be available!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

Thanks, Marcus,

Post by jan »

for giving me some idea when the book will be released in your region. I did check at Amazon but no dates were indicated. A little tidbit I want to add here that most of you probably won't know...one night on the Late Night Show starring David Letterman, and this is really funny, David was introduced as the Macedonian King...I had to laugh at that...just a little joke here in the states which I never bothered to mention until now...it made me wonder at David but then the other night when he made a comment on his show which sounded like a comment I had read here, I began to wonder about him, and the author of the comment that he was using...echo, echo, echo! I promise never to repeat this bit of trivia again! :lol: but David as Alexander! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Thanks, Marcus,

Post by marcus »

jan wrote:A little tidbit I want to add here that most of you probably won't know...one night on the Late Night Show starring David Letterman, and this is really funny, David was introduced as the Macedonian King...I had to laugh at that ...
The question I have to ask, however, is why did they refer to him as that?

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

It was his intro

Post by jan »

:wink: When he walked on stage, his bandleader, who is his good friend, Paul Shaffer, introduced in him as the great blonde-haired king of Macedonia, and in walks David, grinning from ear to ear as usual...and then the show went on as usual, with his doing his standup comedy routine...I suppose it was just to be kidding around a bit, since it was only a short time ago that it happened, but I just bit my tongue and said nothing til now... just letting you know that everyone in the world, including David, thinks himself another Alexander...LOL :D and all this time I think of Alexander as a holier than thou stick in the mud kind of merciless fearless leader to the Elysian Fields! Oh well, such is the fate of famous stars! 8)
jan
Strategos (general)

Oh, and this gets worse

Post by jan »

8) I just finished reading some of Wright's book called The Looming Tower, a book about 9/11. There is a description of bin Laden in this book that makes one think that the author would have us believe he is another Alexander also, similar to the tale of Bucephalus! (That and a key word really made me wonder about who this Wright guy is anyway.) The book The Looming Tower is very interesting, but I wonder at who his sources are for all this information. But only bin Laden could ride a horse that nobody else could...wouldn't you just know? :!: :!:
jan
Strategos (general)

Thanks, Amyntoros,

Post by jan »

I just found on page 417 of the book by Robin Lane Fox the same description that you posted here on the boards. I have not yet read the book by Fox but picked it up today and wouldn't you just know it...went right to the place discussing the wedding at Susa. It is the exact same piece that you quoted here...am so grateful and a bit apologetic now...I see that Robin Lane Fox devoted several pages to the subject, and I enjoyed reading it. Just to let you know.