Sidon Sarcophagus in Technicolour

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

Phoebus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Phoebus »

Semiramis,

Sorry for taking so long to reply; I was in Greece for the past few days, on account of a wedding.
Semiramis wrote:Why did the creators have to deny that 300 is political propaganda even before it was released? Were they accused of such? I am not alone!! :D
I'm not sure that they had to defend themselves from mass public knee-jerking means anything in and of itself. By that standard, let us then re-examine Oliver Stone's need to defend himself from those who claimed his version of Alexander was offensive on a sexual level...
"Swarthy" is such a difficult word to define. It doesn't mean dark skin does it? :)
By that, I mean not African, and probably some flavor of either Mediterranean (perhaps Corsican or Sicilian, but more likely Moorish, Arabian, Semitic).
The ephors were deformed and definitely "evil". It feels like you're arguing my point.
Not really; I'm showing that skin color was hardly a basis for "badness". There was evil all around, and one had to really be choosy to think that two random African-looking fellows most represented it.
You're putting words in my mouth.
I certainly did not mean to. Your language indicated a level of doubt as to whether Miller's work was in truth racist. I wished to show that it was not, if for no other reason than to prevent you from having a negative view of the man for the wrong reasons.
The first sentence I wrote to you in this thread was emphasising that I have no interest in determining Frank Miller's political persuations. I have never claimed to "know who the man is or what his beliefs are". I've been very clear in stating that my only introduction to Miller is the movie. And having expressed my very negative views of it, when you recommended checking out his other works, I was surprised.
Then I have to say that I'm saddened by your stance.
Again. Are you arguing my point here that dark skin equated with evil the way monstrosities were? Every "evil" character that wasn't dark-skinned was deformed, which served to demonize them. The sole exception is the councilman.
Yeah... the evil character with the greatest speaking part in the movie. :wink:
I'm sure you don't mean to be rude as you say, but it would be nicer to disagree on a movie without being told to "take an objective look" or having one's views labelled as "rushed". :)
I certainly did not mean to be rude, but then again I did feel the words needed to be used. Perhaps it's a matter of the message board not being the perfect conduit for one to understand another's point (I'm referring to my potential inability, incidentally)... I felt that much of this debate centered on skin tone issues that I failed to see as even remotely central to the movie (for reasons already outlined) or on Miller's prejudices. I used words that perhaps were not very politic, but I assure you I didn't do so with the intent of being condescending. Perhaps I'm missing the forest for the trees when I'm reading your points; I assure you, I'm not under the impression that I'm preaching from a pulpit here.
"Other people don't agree with you" has never stopped me before. :) In any case, it is simply untrue that the "outcry (was) reserved for Leonida' "boy-lovers" line". A simple google search with the words '300 racist' will show that.
The first 10 hit showed articles about the film, except for two that focused on Paul Cartledge's new book about the battle itself--which is hardly prejudiced toward the Spartans. I reiterate my point from the 1st paragraph.
Might be too "deep" for me... ;)
Given the amount of discussion that went into the esoterics of "Alexander", I'd say not! :)
It is a real pity then that '300' comes across as such "clash of civilizations" (intensified by "race") type propaganda. Perhaps Miller would be horrified to be associated with such ideas. But at the end of the day, that's how this piece of work comes across to me.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And so is ugliness, I suppose. Rendered to a story about just the events of those three days (and a bit of exposition), the battle could be interpreted as such. "Race-type propaganda", though? No offense, but that just comes off as a bit melodramatic to me.

Watching the first five minutes of the movie, I'd say that anyone who felt like celebrating what the Spartans were selling is either a crackpot or a sociopath. You tell me that you see a clash of civilizations? I see a story that speaks of the irony involved in "free" western culture finding its genesis in the armed struggle of a decidedly tyrannical, ultra-conservative society. :wink:
Good point. Agreed. Although, '300' must've (unintentionally?) catered to the tastes of the mass audience on some level because as a commercial blockbuster, it was highly successful at the box office.
I have no doubt that people at Warner Brothers & co. were thinking that swords + blood + cool one-liners + a very sexy queen + recquisite beefcake could add up to a healthy profit margin. I question whether they were peddling "racist war propaganda", as John Powers of artthreat.net (who apparently has a very skewed and lacking viewpoint of Hellenic history) asserts.
All right. I'm done with this topic. Let's just be friends like these guys. :)
We weren't? :(
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Marcus

I never once said that you should show 15 Cirtificate movies to kids. :roll:

Are you one of those rusty old School teachers unable to think out of the Ciriculum or the box. At school we would have general discusions about everyday things with teachers. Or do you just do the lesson and get back with your nose in a book. Your just fuzzing over the original point I made that there is more general interest with 300 that Stones Crap Movie. 8)

Every day conversation with current affairs happens all the time even between Teachers and under 15 kids who you think wont watch 15 Cert movies.
:o

Every one bar none ive spoken to in a wide range of people totally diss Alexander and found 300 very good. :D

Kenny
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

jasonxx wrote:Are you one of those rusty old School teachers unable to think out of the Ciriculum or the box. At school we would have general discusions about everyday things with teachers. Or do you just do the lesson and get back with your nose in a book. Your just fuzzing over the original point I made that there is more general interest with 300 that Stones Crap Movie. 8)
This is the last I'm going to say on the matter. Kenny, you said that 300 had promoted more interest in Ancient Greece than Alexander had done. I said that I had seen no evidence of this, and asked you for some. You have failed to provide any, and have ever since been either misunderstanding or misrepresenting what I have said.
jasonxx wrote:Stones Crap Movie.
And if you thought it was so bad, you could always stop talking about it.
:x
I'm not getting involved in this any more.

I am also very close to deleting a whole bunch of posts between Andrew and Paralus, because things are getting a bit too heated. :!: :!:

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Kenny, I will curious to see if the interest generated by "300" carries over beyond a brief testosterone infused "Thus Is Sparta!!!" hooliganism as evidenced by middle school kids racing through the hallways yelling it and attacking other middle schoolers? That is hyperbole to an extent, except that a group of middle schoolers DID do that.

Will the interest persist when they discover how truly unpleasnat Spartan society was or that Hellenic history is very complicated and that perhaps, just perhaps the Persians were a great people, too.

You ARE obsessed with Stone's film. You take it personally.

Anyway, back to the original topic. I love the Sarcophagus. It is a treasure and a thing of beauty.

Anyone hear anymore on how Mazaeus might be the occupant. i poke around but haven't read any real compelling information on why it would be his. And if it is, who is getting killed on the pediment? And who would the central Macedonian be then? If it were Mazaeus' why wouldn't ATG be the central character?

I am not locked into Abdalonymus being the occupant, but Mazeaus..I just don't see it.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

beausefaless wrote:
jasonxx wrote:Can You Adam And Eve it.

Those silly Ancient Sculpures. Depicting Macedonian and Greek soldiers naked :shock: . Not a breast Plate Skirt or piece of Armour anywhere. :? Dont you think they should be more realistic in there art.... Who knows some sill y film maker might do the same thing and depict Spartan Soldiers in trunks and nothiing more than a shield.... An that wont go down well with the history buffs. :oops:

I guess those Greeks should have been more reaslistic than Symbolic of how they viewed there warriors... Saves The 300 blushes :roll: ... I mean Leonidas Statue at thermopalie another nude :shock: couldnt they be more true for the benefit of future Scholars. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:)

Greetings Kenny, another by Kenny the great!

Your hypothesis is classic. Could you imagine going into battle against a naked Army? The first thing we would do is go for their family jewels once we made a direct hit, which would be easy I might add, they would be on knees with the yell of the most squelching soprano scream then we would cut their heads off and move on to the next dumb soldier and before you know it there would be a headless enemy.

It's ironic that atrocity in design in the Greek sculptures of men make them appear that they're hung like stud hamsters but on the other hand, excuse my expression, the Etruscan civilization formed their male sculptures well-hung.

Thanks again Kenny, another classic post on your behalf, LOL.

Regards

Andrew
:lol: I noticed the same thing Andrew regarding the naked sculptures. I have one of Alexander as Pan and yeah hamster is fitting. :oops: The way different cultures depict their subjects in art varies so much. Look at how the Egyptians changed how they did their sculptures from before Ankhenaten and then during his reign.
On another note it is amazing that the colors that were used all those years ago have left traces so we can reconstruct what these magnificent sculptures and other items originally looked like. I watched a special on ancient Greece and they showed some of the temples that are still around today and were able to show a 3d version of what the temple probably looked like originally. Even the great Sphinx in Egypt has remnants of paint on it. I just find it so amazing that these things are still here thousands of years later.
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Phoebus wrote:
All right. I'm done with this topic. Let's just be friends like these guys. :)
We weren't? :(
That cracked me up... :) I'm sure we were. But any excuse to look up Rodrigo Santoro pictures... Can we at least agree that 'Starship Troopers' was better than '300'?

Semiramis
sikander
Somatophylax

Putting a Fine point On It

Post by sikander »

Greetings,

Speaking of statues, endowments and symbology.. if I recall correctly, the portrayal of "small" genitalia was to show a refined nature; the satyrs usually were depicted as being well-endowed and "brutish".

The story gets better.. the Victorians covered everyone with fig leaves..

And then, the story continues (and has a touch of truth to it, since I seem to recall this *was* discussed by those who should know better, though it might well be yet *another* tale) modern restorers, removing the leaves to enable people to see the art as it was, were surprised by the small size and decided to "improve" the statues to bring them more in line with the modern perception of what is "the best size".. although no one has yet experienced the same compulsion to "improve" the breast size on ancient statues..<laughing>

Further proof that the symbols and values of cultures differ...

Regards,
Sikander
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

Semiramis wrote:That cracked me up... :) I'm sure we were. But any excuse to look up Rodrigo Santoro pictures... Can we at least agree that 'Starship Troopers' was better than '300'?

Semiramis
You know... I would be 100% on board with that... except for Neil Patrick Harris' "You disapprove? Well, too bad! We're in this war for the species, boys and girls!" attempt at a military speech. :wink:

I still think that if Heinlein's Mobile Infantry had been featured (power armour suits with mini-nuclear missiles and jet boosters), that movie would have tasted sweet, sweet Oscar gold... :cry:
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

Sikander has it, I think.

The statues and freezes we see were commissioned for a certain purpose; sexual and/or fertility celebration wasn't one of them. The purpose was to depict heroic idealization--not to arouse.

Conversely, look at the numerous examples of pottery from the Classical period and on that feature rather well-endowed non-Satyr individuals enageged in various acts of sexual congress.