Alexander quote source?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Alexander quote source?

Post by marcus »

Now then, this was on RogueClassicism today.

Just to be clear, the "quote" is:
Secretary of Defense William Gates wrote:“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.”
I haven't had a chance yet to check my folders of sources, but I don't recall ever seeing that one. If it exists, is it in Moralia, perhaps?

I have to disagree with the RogueClassicist, though. He says:
RogueClassicist wrote:While I can imagine Alexander saying something like that, I can’t imagine him saying it exactly like that (especially the ‘humourless’ bit)
Actually, I can't see Alexander saying that. It sounds more like Stalin to me! :?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Alexander quote source?

Post by amyntoros »

I also don't think that it sounds like something Alexander would have said. I did a Google search for the exact phrasing but without the word "Alexander" and the only positive result was a page that credited it to "Alexandre". I also did a Google desktop search using the words logistician and/or humorless and I didn't find either of them in my Alexander files, so this may well be another internet myth. I can't even recall reading anything vaguely similar to this, although there is one source we don't have transcribed - Athenaeus Mechanicus, On Machines, Stuttgart, Franz Steiner Verlag, 2004. (Link is to a BMCR Review.) The problem is, the book is never available at a reasonable price or is always out of stock.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

I would love to have that book... :cry: I think I was better off not knowing it existed.

I have never seen the quote before either.

It isn't from one of the modern fiction books is it? I haven't read Pressfield's book, but would that be something he'd have Alexander say?

Of course, folks have been putting words in Alexander's mouth since pretty much the beginning. :D
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:I also don't think that it sounds like something Alexander would have said. I did a Google search for the exact phrasing but without the word "Alexander" and the only positive result was a page that credited it to "Alexandre". I also did a Google desktop search using the words logistician and/or humorless and I didn't find either of them in my Alexander files, so this may well be another internet myth. I can't even recall reading anything vaguely similar to this, although there is one source we don't have transcribed - Athenaeus Mechanicus, On Machines, Stuttgart, Franz Steiner Verlag, 2004. (Link is to a BMCR Review.) The problem is, the book is never available at a reasonable price or is always out of stock.

Best regards,
No, I managed to spend a bit of time looking through the source files, after I'd posted the message, and failed to come up with anything. It just doesn't sound like the sort of thing Alexander would have said ... at all. Doesn't even sound ancient to me, which is why I said it sounded more like Stalin - he did, after all, kill all his generals just because he thought they were too good!

I don't believe it's even in any of the modern fiction works about Alexander. It's so out of character, in my opinion, that any book that puts those words in his mouth must be pretty rubbish (as, unfortunately, so many of them are). :cry:

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

I just realised something, they have William Gates as SecDef. The SoD is ROBERT Gates...so they can't even get the guy's name right...I didn't catch that till now.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

athenas owl wrote:I just realised something, they have William Gates as SecDef. The SoD is ROBERT Gates...so they can't even get the guy's name right...I didn't catch that till now.
Oh yeah! Good spot! :?

Clearly mixing him up with Bill Gates ... :?:

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Sandra
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Sandra »

Some part of Athenaeus Mechanicus, On machines is available in Google Books, but... Well, i share athenas_owl opinion on this book...
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Well, I spent a bit of time with "the Google" and as far as I can tell, the earliest reference to this quote is 2003 from a Navy Logistics newsletter.

Colonel Koh Lai Hock of the Joint Logistics Department of the Singapore Armed Forces also used the same quote in a Logistics meeting in 2004.

It's pretty popular with the Logisitcs crowd. :lol: :D

But as far as I can tell, 2003 is when it makes it's first appearance.
Nikas
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Nikas »

It totally sounds out of character for Alexander. Especially seeing as his logistics seem to have been almost impeccable, so he had a pretty competent staff that probably didn't need a slaying to stay on top of things. Oddly enough though, these quotes sometimes appear where not expected. A few months back I finally had found a source for a quote that had been driving me crazy, Alexander's secret to success: "Never put off until tomorrow what can be done today", and this was from a Scholiast on Homer's Iliad. Perhaps there are others gems out there where you wouldn't expect it?