Re: critique and excerpts of "Shadow of the Lion"

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: critique and excerpts of "Shadow of the Lion"

Post by ruthaki »

Hello group! I have just finished posting some more excerpts from my novel "Shadow of the Lion" and the critique by John (Jack) Dempsey Ph.D. You can find these from the home page of my website
http://www.dreamwater.org/ruthakiJack's website is also listed on the critique page if you are interested in ancient greece and native american studies.
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: critique and excerpts of

Post by jan »

Thank you, Ruth, for your post. I have just returned from your Search for Alexander site. Thank you so much for posting this information.Let me introduce myself. I have been an English teacher in three states: Michigan, Arizona, and California. I taught English, journalism, was advisor to the school newspaper, and the cheerleaders and songleaders of Gladstone High School in Azusa, California. I did not get interested in Greek literature since Bay City Handy where I did my student teaching, starting with Greek literature. I believe I was set up now, but then I merely was following in the footsteps of a Greek woman who preceded me, and so I carried on where she left off.I only recently came into knowledge of Alexander since I was a high school student in world history. Arthur Weigall's book study opened my eyes to the cause and reason for some of my most recent travels. I was astounded to say the least.Since your article appeared on my birthday in your Search for Alexander, I was rather dumbstruck to say the least.I will say more in a future post. This is all relatively new to me.Jan Fauble
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Oh, P.S. I just picked up a copy of Racine's Alexandre le Grande to read. I became involved in the life of Louis XIV before I came to Alexander. One great king leads to another. So while I finish reading Manfredi's version of Alexandre, I am about to read the influence that Alexander had had on Louis XIV. Just to let you know where I am in this ongoing investigation.Jan
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

yeia sou, Janet, thanks for the posts. Did you get time to check any of the novel excerpts? The "Search for Alexander" article was published in the Montreal Gazette a few years ago ...a special 'thanks' to the Greek tourism and consulate here who had sponsored a flight to Athens for me so I could do research. And the Ministry of Culture in Athens who arranged interviews for me etc. I've been working on the novel for some time, not quite done, but soon. I posted the critique by my 'mentor' because it really is an incentive to me to get the whole thing done. I've also set the site up to showcase the novel and my other work because I'll soon be seeking agents etc. (Had to turn down the Greek publisher as they wanted me to pay half the costs which were astronomical compared to my meagre writer's budget!) ruthaki
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

Janet -Maybe you already know Jeanne's collection of Alexander inpsired fiction?http://home.earthlink.net/~mathetria/Be ... ult.htmlIf you don't, you will like it. It seems that a lot of reading lies ahead for you. Good luck.Regards -
Nick
D.HATGISTAVROU

Post by D.HATGISTAVROU »

I'M WONDERING IF THE SEARCH FOR ALEXANDER THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT HAD TO DO WITH A ATG EXHIBITION IN MONTREAL ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO. IT HAD A RECREATION OF KING PHILIP'S TOMB, A LARGE SCULPTED HEAD OF ALEXANDER, AND MANY OTHER FASINATING ANTIQUTIES. I STILL HAVE SOME T-SHIRTS THAT THEY SOLD THERE.I WAS THERE VISITING MY IN-LAWS WHEN I HEARD ABOUT THIS EXHIBIT AND I'LL NEVER FORGET IT. MONTREAL IS A BEAUTIFUL CITY AND HAS A LARGE GREEK POPULATION. MY WIFE GREW UP THERE. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOUR ATG WEBSITE WHEN IT IS UP AND RUNNING. KEEP ME POSTED.REGARDS!
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

The "In Search of Alexander" article on my website was one I wrote a couple of years ago following the Alexander route I took around Northern Greece during a research trip. It was published in the Montreal Gazette. I am a travel journalist as well as a historical fiction writer and playwright. My novel "Shadow of the Lion" (work-in-progress) is about the fall of Alexander's dynasty and what makes it different from others is that his young son Alexander IV has an active role in it and the characters of the women are also developed. I have posted excerpts of it on my "Travel Through History" website as a sort of showcase for not only my travel articles but my novel and other writing as I will soon be looking for an agent. Thanks, Nick, for the heads-up on the Beyond Renault site which I checked out. A lot of books there, some I've read. I do try not to read too much while I've been working on this novel so as not to be influenced although I must say I admire and re-read Renault a lot just because I like the way she's taken the historical facts and woven them into fiction. If you've checked out my excerpts you will see my style is somewhat different. I wouldn't want to try and copy her. And I have been told that my novel is quite exceptional. You can read a critique of it on the site by John (Jack) Dempsey PhD of Brown Univ. Mass. My website is
http://www.dreamwater.org/ruthaki Check it out and enjoy.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thank you, Ruth, for sharing your interest and background with me. I really enjoyed your site and will return to it. I have just finished reading the third book of the trilogy by Valerio Manfredi. I look forward to reading your books now that I have learned of them.I have begun reading a children's book called Troy to glean a style which is for probably 5th and 6th grade students. I took a correspondence course years ago from the Institute of Children's Literature, and have kept most of my early attempts on hold.I really appreciate the Greek influence, but as I had not emphasized Greek when in college, it did not attract my attention until recently. I have just finished reading Racine's version of Alexandre le Grand, and am amazed at the various approaches to the times. I think I prefer a short collection of stories rather than long epic novels or poems, but I hope the right author or authoress does give Alexander his fondest dream, and that is to be the subject of an epic poem such as Homer did for Achilles.I am about to begin reading the Iliad, as the Odyssey had always been my preference and somehow or other I missed the Iliad.Having finished the trilogy, which I enjoyed, while lamenting the poor literary devices, I am ready to drop Alexander. I am for wanting to pursue my dream of getting to Europe and visiting the Versailles, and then from there, take a trip to Pella, and to Vergina also. It all sounds like fun to me.I will post another entry as this group cuts too long messages off.
Jan
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Dear Ruth,Manfredi's book does take license with the Plutarch version and I understand why many fans of Alexander may find fault with it, but I enjoyed the manner in which he created a book obviously intended for screenwriters and the movie industry. It is full of schmalz! It did make me a bit weepy at times and he shows a kind of senstitivity to Bucephalus and Peritas that most authors ignore. I like his final scene, even though I thought that he is missing the boat, neglecting to have his wives appear as well.I believe his book is suitable for high school students to read, and that it is a proper introduction from a man's point of view to the life of Alexander.I am amazed at the number of women who are attracted to the subject matter. I congratulate you for having had such a background that your fare was paid for you. Your credentials are admirable.Sincerely,Jan
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Dear Ruth,I enjoyed your website and the discussion of your travels. I have already told John on this channel about my use of MyDearDiary, in which I keep a journal describing some of my days while here in sunny Arizona. I use the name demeterpersephone as the author and the title is Today'sThoughts of Joy. Rather than confusing anyone here, if you are interested, you are welcome to read my thoughts.Jan
D.HATGISTAVROU

Post by D.HATGISTAVROU »

HELLO RUTHAKI! I JUST VISITED YOUR WEBSITE AND FOUND IT VERY INTERESTING! I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO VISIT SAMOTHRACE SINCE LEARNING THAT ATG'S PARENTS MET THERE. IT SOUNDS LIKE A BEAUTIFUL PLACE WITH MANT INTERESTING AND HISTORICAL SITES. I WAS IN NORTHERN GREECE IN 1985. I VISITED MY FATHER'S FAMILY IN KAVALA. IS IT TRUE THAT IT WAS NAMED KAVALA WHICH MEANS TO RIDE IN GREEK BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE ALEXANDER TAMED BUCEPHALAS? ALSO,I HAVE READ SOMEWHERE THAT THE HUGE LION OF AMPHIPOLIS WAS ERECTED IN HONOR OF HIS ADMIRAL NEARCHUS? AGAIN, I ENJOYED YOUR SITE VERY MUCH. THANKS! ALL THE BEST!
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks to everyone for the postivie responses to my website and novel excerpts and article about Alexander. Regarding Samothraki, I highly recommend a visit there. It is truly one of the most magical spots in Greece. On my first visit, I walked from the town, 5 km to the Sanctuary. The fields were full of wild flowers and thousands of butterflies. Truly a spiritual experience. If you go, try to walk if you can as the island is quiet and charming. As for Kavala, in Alexander's time it was named Nikopolis or something similar (have to look it up).
I doubt that's where he trained Bucephalus. LIkely he did that on the great horse fields near Pella's lake where Philip trained his cavalry.
D.HATGISTAVROU

Post by D.HATGISTAVROU »

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY.I WILL MAKE IT A POINT TO VISIT SAMOTHRACE ON MY NEXT TRIP TO GREECE.THE FORMER NAME OF KAVALA WAS NEAPOLIS.THANK YOU ALSO FOR THE INFO ON THE TRAINING OF BUCEPHALAS. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE LION OF AMPHIPOLIS? ALL THE BEST!
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I've been to Amphipolis twice, the first time I walked from Nea Kardelia (I think that's the name of the nearby town) and as I approached the famous Lion statue, with the acropolis of Amphipolis off to the east, the sky grew dark and there were streaks of lightening shooting down over Amphipolis (which was a sort of omen for me as that's where Alexander's son and Soghdian wife were murdered).
Second trip, I walked from the acropolis site and village of Amphipolis, down the hillside through the orchards and olive groves to the statue. It's quite an amazine sight. Believed to have been erected in 319 BC and possibly a funeral monument for one of Alexander's commanders. I have more info on it if you like. It's an immense statue and very similar to the one at Charoneia. Worth a visit there and to the old citadel site if you can. Mostly Byzantine ruins now, but you can see the traces of the ancient walls. I spent quite a bit of time there poking around as it is also a site in my novel and I needed to capture the essence of the place. You can get there by local buses. I was camped at Asprovalta and took the local bus up to the village. The article I wrote (on my web site) "In Search of Alexander" explains the entire tour around all the sites in Macedonia important to his life. By the way, a Greek journalist friend of mine from Nea Kardelia told me that the local folk story there told to children is that if you don't behave that big old lion will come and get you!