Question concerning historical source of anecdote

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Basileus

Question concerning historical source of anecdote

Post by Basileus »

Hello,

Are you familiar with the "famous greeks" and "famous romans" lectures by Rufus J Fears? Wonderful speaker. I particularly liked his lecture on Plutarch and Apuleius, the latter being the author of the classical novel "The Golden Ass" which I also highly recommend - (the first chapter is just laughs and laughs and laughs)

Anyway - in this video lecture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMBWQXMWmUU At 8:27 it is mentioned that upon crossing the Hellespont, Alexander had been speaking with Hephaestion and that he wanted to give him some lands, and Hephaestion replied "you've been giving away all your lands, what will you have left?" And Alexander said "my dreams"...

Do you know where this account comes from? Plutarch, Curtius?

Thanks
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Question concerning historical source of anecdote

Post by marcus »

Basileus wrote:Hello,

Are you familiar with the "famous greeks" and "famous romans" lectures by Rufus J Fears? Wonderful speaker. I particularly liked his lecture on Plutarch and Apuleius, the latter being the author of the classical novel "The Golden Ass" which I also highly recommend - (the first chapter is just laughs and laughs and laughs)

Anyway - in this video lecture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMBWQXMWmUU At 8:27 it is mentioned that upon crossing the Hellespont, Alexander had been speaking with Hephaestion and that he wanted to give him some lands, and Hephaestion replied "you've been giving away all your lands, what will you have left?" And Alexander said "my dreams"...

Do you know where this account comes from? Plutarch, Curtius?

Thanks
The story appears in Plutarch ("Alexander", and also "On the Fortune and Virtue of Alexander"), and also in Justin. It's Perdiccas with whom the exchange occurs, rather than Hephaestion, as it happens:
[b]Justin 11.5.5[/b] wrote:(5) All his ancestral domains in Macedonia and Europe he distributed amongst his friends, declaring that Asia was enough for him
[b]Plutarch, [i]Alexander[/i], 15.2-3[/b] wrote: [2] But although he set out with such meagre and narrow resources, he would not set foot upon his ship until he had enquired into the circumstances of his companions and allotted to one a farm, to another a village, and to another the revenue from some hamlet or harbour. And when at last nearly all of the crown property had been expended or allotted, Perdiccas said to him: “But for thyself, O king, what art thou leaving?” And when the king answered, “My hopes,” “In these, then,” said Perdiccas, “we also will share who make the expedition with thee.” [3] Then he declined the possessions which had been allotted to him, and some of the other friends of Alexander did likewise. But upon those who wanted and would accept his favours Alexander bestowed them readily, and most of what he possessed in Macedonia was used up in these distributions. Such was the ardour and such the equipment with which he crossed the Hellespont.
[b]Plutarch, [i]On the Fortune and Virtue of Alexander[/i], 2.11[/b] wrote:He divided the greater part of his possessions at home and his royal revenues among his friends; Perdiccas alone would take nothing when Alexander offered, but asked, "What are you leaving for yourself, Alexander?" And when Alexander replied, "High hopes!", "Then," said Perdiccas, "we shall also share in these; for it is not right to take your possessions, but right to wait in expectation of those of Darius."
I hope this helps.
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Basileus

Post by Basileus »

It does - thank you.
Perdicass is a very interesting character.
Diodorus Siculus, in his Library of History, tells a magnificent account of his fall in Egypt.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Basileus wrote:It does - thank you.
Perdicass is a very interesting character.
Diodorus Siculus, in his Library of History, tells a magnificent account of his fall in Egypt.
No probs.

Perdiccas is one of my favourites of Alexander's officers. It's a shame he couldn't make it work after Alexander's death! :(
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote:Perdiccas is one of my favourites of Alexander's officers. It's a shame he couldn't make it work after Alexander's death! :(
The man has suffered from "bad press" as they say. The description of him in Diodorus (18.33.3), perhaps tainted a little, is not far off though>
Perdiccas, indeed, was a man of blood, one who usurped the authority of the other commanders and, in general, wished to rule all by force...
His actions, as we have them, during and after the Babylon negotiations speak to his ambitions. Favoured by Alexander with the position of chiliarch (after Hephaestion's death), the confirmation of this in the first part of the Babylonian "settlement" was never enough. The sharing with Meleagher of the army command (even though the later was "junior") was not welcome nor was Craterus prostasia. His removal of the first and the managing of himself into the regency (epemiletes/prostasia) may well be what this reference in Diodorus speaks to. His marriage farrago indicates his royal pretensions.

Pace many a modern view, the others of the Successors were just as "unitary" in their views of empire. All connived at the lot at one time or another. The notion of Unitarians and separatists has little to recommend it.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu