Metz Epitome

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Alexias
Strategos (general)

Metz Epitome

Post by Alexias »

There used to be a site of Alexander source translations compiled by long-time pothos member (but sadly no longer), Susan Holmes. The site disappeared a few years ago, but amongst the translations was one of the Metz Epitome by the late Karl Soundy (agesilaos). I was wondering whether anyone has a downloaded copy of this so that I could repost it here? Many thanks if any one does.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Metz Epitome

Post by Alexias »

I just found a small portion of a translation
1. From the ongoing translation of the Metz Epitome (http://websfor.org/alexander/special/metz.asp):

"Next he set off for Gazabes intending to carry on. On this journey he came upon the satrapy of a certain Chorienes. He concluded a treaty with him. And he, when Alexander accepted an invitation to share his hospitality, brought in his virgin daughters to dance with the unmarried children of his other friends.

Amongst these was the daughter of Oxyartes, Rhoxane, the most beautiful of all, whose looks ensnared Alexander with desire. Then he inquired who she was and whose daughter. He was told she was Oxyartes’, who was himself dining there. Then taking his cup and praying to the Gods he began to speak thus: many were used to obtaining things totally unexpectedly; there were many kings who had got sons on captives;

they sent many of their own daughters to marry among foreign peoples and by such congress affirmed their friendship. ‘Why,’ he said ‘are you Macedones not great breeders and surely if you embrace the conquered in friendship, will your rule not last forever? That is what I am going to do and whomsoever of the other Macedonians chooses to do the same I shall take care of.’

His friends applauded these words, and he led them with himself to marry the girls dancing at the party. Which having been done Oxyartes and the other barbarians were overjoyed."
The link no longer works.
AdamKvanta

Post by AdamKvanta »

Last edited by AdamKvanta on Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Oh, that is excellent - thank you so much! I shall download these translations and perhaps repost them here so that they are not lost to pothosians.

Welcome, too!