The Conqueror by Judith E. French

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

The Conqueror by Judith E. French

Post by jan »

I recommend the latest release by Judith E. French, The Conqueror, a story based upon the marriage of Alexander the Great to Roxanne, the Bactrian-Sogdiana princess, daughter of Oxyartes. This is a romantic novel which is rich in not only romance but also exciting adventuresome tales suitable for the faint of heart.Roxanne is the heroine of the story, and is a most delightful character to come to know. She exhibits fully all the traits one would want in a "captive princess", and her escapades are thrilling, intelligent, and enlightening.I like this book, despite its historical inaccuracies, and recommend to all women who want a woman "fit" for Alexander. It has quite a bit of depth of understanding of the tribesmen and the national interest making it easy to understand why Alexander married this beauty. She is the love of his life, according to French.
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Re: The Conqueror by Judith E. French

Post by beausefaless »

I realize this message is directed more towards the female persuasion but...Personally, I'd rather read an erotic story about the two week rendezvous with the Amazon Queen, this adventure is one of many reasons why the Romans bestowed Alexander the name "The Great", what stamina!
X

PUHLEEZ

Post by X »

.. not all women like romance novels, some men actually read them and many women like Alexander just fine without one all that "lust in the dust" nonsense- the adventure IS the romance. Roxanne as Alexander's "great love" is about as real as the so-called Amazon queen. "Where was I when all this happened?" says it all
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: PUHLEEZ

Post by jan »

Roxanne is a modern kind of woman, liberated and free in her mind and spirit, but forced to be married to the great warrior-god. I like her character, despite her red hair (as I find that unnatural), and her feistiness, her bravado, and her escapades. The portrayal of Alexander as a great lover, (whose reputation is certainly overmagnified), and his relationship with his best friend Hephaestion who must compete with Roxanne is most interesting and imaginative.Granted, French does take liberties, and makes Roxanne the heroine who saves Alexander's life, and assures all the Macedonians that she is friend and not foe after all, but that is why we love Roxanne so much. She is a great character in her own right, and I am happy that Judith French wrote such an exciting narrative.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Hello Janet, I'll have to find that book. We have to remember that Judith French (like me) is writing 'historical FICTION" and can portray the characters as she sees them. What you describe, though, is quite a different Roxana from the one who 'stars' in my novel. She's certainly an intersting character and I've had a lot of fun working with her, but she's not always a very nice person and her temperment was well known, apparantly. She supposedly had some traits similar to Olympias, although Alexander's mother had more 'grandeur'and was known to be more formidable.
In my novel, I've developed all the women's characters (Roxana, Olympias, Kleopatra, Adea/Eurydike and Barsine) although Kleopatra and Barsine are just bit parts. And oh yes, one chapter with the Persian princesses when they are murdered). One agent I talked to liked the idea that I have focused on the women equally to the men but I found the women in Alexander's story compelling and intriguing. And because there isn't a whole lot written about them, you can expand and use poetic license to develop their characters from what information you have gleaned. Thanks for the heads up on the book. It will be interesting to see how it measures up. Cheers, Ruth K.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi Ruthaki,I am so glad that you are progressing so well with your book. I can hardly wait to read it. I hope that you will read French's book and tell me how you like it. It made me think of my first true love who I had never thought to compare to Alexander until I read this book. Then, as I had always compared Jim to Clark Gable, (they resembled each other in looks), I began to notice the similarities between Alexander and Barsine (Memnon's wife) and Jim and his pattern. So I identify with Roxanne and noticed that French seemed to equip Roxanne with some peculiar characteristics of mine, and I took a liking to it.As Jim was tall, dark, and handsome, a stereotype movie type, I never saw the likeness until I read this book. And as one of Roxanne's defense mechanisms is one of my own, I noticed that right away and got quite a kick out of it. Flattery! Imitation is the sincerest form, they say. Just a coincidence, but one that struck me right away.As I believe that Alexander's immortality is totally assured, I hardly think that being compared to the greatest lover of them all is anything but a great compliment. Whether French knew it or not, she seemed to capture a piece of my past, and I truly enjoyed every minute of it.
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

: PUHLEEZ is not even a word

Post by beausefaless »

to X (XXX)
If you were able to comprehend my message thread, obviously you did not, I was speaking for myself and by no means I represent any masses of any gender.
"Where was I when all this happened?"
You were in total bliss with your ignorance.
S

Post by S »

Greetings Jan,
Thanks for the review. Though I am not one who appreciates "romance" novels, and you know our differing opinions regarding the Alexander-Roxanne romance scenario, it obviously struck a chord in you! Are you going to submit it for the fiction section in the reviews?
Regards,
Sikander
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi S,Thanks for asking. I think I will do just that, so I will send it to you when I write it.Jan