Alexand**'s name?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

susa

Re: ALEXANDROS!

Post by susa »

Well, Yiannis. I think i answered the 'name' thing above, to a chap called John too :)Is it a coincidence?Thanks for telling me about the semantic/semiotic thing - i never could understand that at the college. You know how teachers can make a difficult thing out of something that's soo easy actually.cheerssusa
susa

Re: Alexand**'s name?

Post by susa »

God's graceful, dear:Now u're conceited, and that's my fault.Susa is a pretty name, no?I read at Renault's that it's called 'the city of lilies' - i thought it quite pretty....Will search for it anyway.susa
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I think Yiannis gets the prize for the most educational posts today! I, too, always had problems understanding the semantic/semiotic business (not that anyone tried to teach me that at school).This will now become my "fact of the day" with which I shall bore all my friends.Hurrah!All the bestMarcusPS: So, Susa, what's your real name, or is there some ghastly secret you want to hide from us?
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
John

Post by John »

Hey, I wasn't saying I was God. I was making a joke, trying to point out that "God is graceful" is not a name. ...Hmmm... Maybe if you called me A god... That might be more reasonable...John
susa

Post by susa »

Oh, no, Marcus. No ghastly secret or whatever. My real name is ok. I quite like it. But why should i tell my real name, when many people here use pseudonyms? If you want to know it, you write to me. Is it fair enough?Yes, Yannis is sensible.cheerssusa
T-Alex

Post by T-Alex »

Well, I've always seen his name on coins in books as Alexandros, which is helper or defender of men (-andros), but you never know, back then maybe he had a nickname (note: to Nick: no pun intended, Nick) This is my first time on your site (I found it by accident) and it is very nice and very strange talking with other obvious Alexandrophiles. I think Alexander found a lot of things by accident too.
susa

Post by susa »

Ha! I won't be doing nothing of the sort. And, incidentally, it must be really boring to be one. Can you imagine? "I want some light", or "Give me some water", or even "C'mon, give me a nice black night". Booooooring! And everything done with the tip of one's fingers.... One'd rather be a wizard.:)susa
John

Post by John »

You're describing what it would be like to be one tyrant god; the one and only, with all the power.Life as "a" god is different. Doesn't Homer describe the gods as constantly drinking, socializing, etc... Doesn't he make it sound fun?Or would the gods strike you down for even THINKING about treading on their turf?John
susa

Post by susa »

Oh, sorry. That's my bringing-up background - i know a tyrant, sole God.I don't like Homer's gods. They are soooo prosaic.Well, no, i like them, but they make me laugh.Gods shouldn't make one laugh, that's what i think.But then, never mind me.s
John

LOL

Post by John »

OK, your post made ME laugh.Does that make you like one of Homer's gods?JP.S. Looks like we have wandered waaayyyyy off topic.
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Hmm, "graceful God" needs to give me a new set of eyes!
Thanks Susa:)
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Hi Tara, Nice to have you here! We're really a nice bounch of people with the same interest. (Well one of our interests at least is common:)regards,
Yiannis
susa

Post by susa »

Oh well. Hope i didn't sound rude - not my intention.:) :);)susa
susa

Re: LOL

Post by susa »

JohnI simply love wandering way off Alexander.Well, you asked me if i like one of Homer's gods. Umm, i can't think of a favorite god now, but when i think of one, you will be the first to know.Thanks for laughing at my post. I'm awfully charmed.susa
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

not at all!