updated pilgrimage travel guide

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

nickw

updated pilgrimage travel guide

Post by nickw »

Dear Companions ---After a autumn holiday in Greece I updated the Alexander pilgrimage travel guide.See: http://www.pothos.org/alexander.asp?par ... orrections and suggestions are always welcome.Regards ---Nick
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: updated pilgrimage travel guide

Post by ruthaki »

Excellent info and pix, Nick. I especially enjoyed reading about Alexandria and Siwah as lately I've been 'visiting' there in my novel.I noticed you had nothing about Dodoni which is also part of Alexander's life. An excellent site though a bit tricky to get to. (I've been there twice).
Enjoyed seeing Dion listed as it is really quite interesting. I've also visited the site of Pydna where Olympias met her fate. Got there the day the archaeologists who were excavating (looking for traces of her tomb) where there and had a chance to discuss things with them. Very interesting!I've also been to Amphipolis where Alexander IV met his fate. (been there twice as well). And Samothraki which figured largely with the Macedonian royal family. An island not to miss!
nickw

Post by nickw »

Hi Ruth ---You are 100% right, the travel guide is far from complete. I would love to include your travel advisory as well. If you have the time to share your experiences, I will be happy to add them to the site.Thanks for the response.Best regards ---Nick
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

What an excellent "pocket" travel guide!A great pity about Iraq/Iran. Would dearly love to tread the dusty plain that may be Gaugemela, visit Babylon's ruins...Possibly as part of a more general visit about the time of the RWC in 2007. Wonder if I could persuade my wife and children to stroll a ruin and a museum or six?
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Hi Nick, I meant to send you stuff before, didn't I? Anyway I will try to get something together but might need reminding from time to time. I have a lot of info as I've visited those sites a lot of times in the course of my research for the novel and travel writing. I also have photos.
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Nick,
Looks good, I'm surprised you didn't mention Delphi though, the scenary is awesome in the extreme.later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
Gary

Post by Gary »

Delphi is one of my favourite desktop wallpapers.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/ ... .jpgPlenty more views via Google image search.Gary