Stuck Out Like A Peacock

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

kennyxx
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Stuck Out Like A Peacock

Post by kennyxx »

Just Recently

I met a new collegue and to get to know people a little I ask them a question.

If you could write a letter to anyone Alive or dead. Who would you write to and what would you as?

My collegue replied. He would write to Horatio Nelson and ask why he was dressed up like a Peacock medals etc on the deck of the Victory. Quite obviously a target. My collegue suggested that Nelson had reached his peak and wanted to go out in a flash of style..

I thought of Alexander and my theory was that at Trafalger Nelson was outnumbered and had to be seen and lead by example. Exactly like Alexander and Caesar at Alesia. Only Alexander and Caesar got away with it. He nearly didnt when the arrow got his lung.

Indeed leading by example and been visible must have made all the difference for Alexander Caesars and even Nelsons men. I recall Napleon Quoting that Alexanders presence on the battle field was wort an extra 20000 men.

Any thoughts.

Kenny